MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help finding T13 changturkey First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-18-2010 11:53 PM
Finding application DilC Financial Aid 7 05-12-2010 03:10 PM
Help finding a job. Rossclot Volunteering Opportunities 16 01-18-2010 07:38 PM
ENG II Course finding help. Kurt_ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-08-2008 06:56 PM

Any advice on going about finding a web design job?

Old 11-01-2010 at 10:43 PM   #1
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Any advice on going about finding a web design job?
Not sure if this is the right section, could a mod move this if there is a more fitting place for it?

So, I've always been really into web design, and over the years I've picked up lots of tips and tricks of the trade, and gotten fairly good at it. I find myself making websites for fun a lot of the time and I've always wondered about making money off of my skill.

How would I go about finding employment for web design? Would I have to make a "portfolio" and post it somewhere? Is there even a feasible market for such a thing?

I would like any input you guys can give me about this
Old 11-02-2010 at 09:07 AM   #2
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

From what I have seen, there are too many mediocre web designers.

If you are anything above mediocre, you should definitely join in. Otherwise, stay away. I don't mean to be harsh. lol

Edit:

But you can always try it. Start from simple. There are sites that connect clients with freelance web designers. look around..

Last edited by snaps : 11-02-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:11 AM   #3
EngLufLuf

Liked: Liked 2 Times

here is a good freelancing website, you can start there:

www.elance.com
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:26 AM   #4
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

chad can provide excellent advice in this category since he's design quite some big websites:
http://www.chadfullerton.com /
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:39 AM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I'm looking for some advice too. There's so many gross sites out there that were done for a fee and I'm positive that if those people can get paid, so can I.

Anyways, i'm reopening my own personal site then going to get a commercial domain. Building up my portfolio by offering to design people sites for free (my brother being one of them) and posters for clubs around mac.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-02-2010 at 10:49 AM   #6
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I'm looking for some advice too. There's so many gross sites out there that were done for a fee and I'm positive that if those people can get paid, so can I.

Anyways, i'm reopening my own personal site then going to get a commercial domain. Building up my portfolio by offering to design people sites for free (my brother being one of them) and posters for clubs around mac.
show me one of your websites <_<
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:56 AM   #7
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Why do you keep picking fights with Lawley, Afzal? >.>
Old 11-02-2010 at 10:58 AM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post
Not sure if this is the right section, could a mod move this if there is a more fitting place for it?

So, I've always been really into web design, and over the years I've picked up lots of tips and tricks of the trade, and gotten fairly good at it. I find myself making websites for fun a lot of the time and I've always wondered about making money off of my skill.

How would I go about finding employment for web design? Would I have to make a "portfolio" and post it somewhere? Is there even a feasible market for such a thing?

You want to talk to aaront (MacInsiders member) about this. Send him a message.
Old 11-02-2010 at 11:00 AM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post

OH! I looked at your profile. Suddenly I know who this is Okay, so DEFINITELY talk to Aaron T. Get a hold of me if you want his full name to find him on Facebook or something.
Old 11-02-2010 at 11:09 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Funny you ask, as I have a site I set up to help. Go to www.webfreelancing.co m, it updates every 15 minutes with the best freelance jobs from around the net and categorizes them by type. So if you're into web design, go to the design/web/graphics categories to see jobs you could potentially do. The budget is also listed so start off with small budget ones first, build your portfolio, then work your way to larger ones. You'll need to register (just click through the link to a project you're interested in and follow the registration steps). Then you bid on a project, and if selected, you complete the project, send the person the files, and they release your money to you (whatever you bid). You then withdraw your earnings to PayPal. Goodluck! Happy money making

lawleypop says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 11-02-2010 at 11:19 AM   #11
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Hello?

I don't actively search for clients (much too busy for that). What I do do (hehe) is help friends out with web stuff.

What I'd suggest is looking for some small businesses (Westdale--there's lots of them) and ask if they'd like a website or website upgrade. Give'm a good price, and then use this site on your profile (you should have a personal portfolio). Repeat as necessary.

In my case, my portfolio design is also a bit of a showcase. Don't skimp on the design of your portfolio--they're very important.
Old 11-02-2010 at 11:47 AM   #12
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Why do you keep picking fights with Lawley, Afzal? >.>
what? I just want to see a site she designed because she's in commerce >_<
Old 11-02-2010 at 12:13 PM   #13
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android dev View Post
what? I just want to see a site she designed because she's in commerce >_<
What does Commerce have to do with it... o_O People can have other interests, ya know. On topic: Don't have anything right now. Started coding my new website then realized I want TextPattern integrated into it so I've taken a mini break while I figure out TP. xD I let my last website expire so can't show you that either. D: Besides, my website design is generally more focused on graphics, with simple coding. I don't normally go outside of HTML and CSS, so you'd probably be unimpressed. I don't claim to be good, I just claim to be able to do better than a lot of garbage out there. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 11-02-2010 at 02:05 PM   #14
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's been really helpful!
Old 11-02-2010 at 03:10 PM   #15
Afzal
Android Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
What does Commerce have to do with it... o_O People can have other interests, ya know. On topic: Don't have anything right now. Started coding my new website then realized I want TextPattern integrated into it so I've taken a mini break while I figure out TP. xD I let my last website expire so can't show you that either. D: Besides, my website design is generally more focused on graphics, with simple coding. I don't normally go outside of HTML and CSS, so you'd probably be unimpressed. I don't claim to be good, I just claim to be able to do better than a lot of garbage out there. XD
*googles TextPattern* and archive.org is THE place to find expired websites :p
nah, i'm mostly interested in seeing the graphics lol, coz I have an inability to make those small pngs for websites :(

I was gonna volunteer to create the IRC website in the summer :( had some huge PC problems some days before the application deadline

Q: Can a person just have a portfolio of the websites they designed but those websites are not currently used anywhere?

Last edited by Afzal : 11-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.