MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Courses not offered ? kwyhan Academics 2 06-07-2011 12:48 AM
Why are so many Classics courses not being offered next year? redstarr37 Academics 1 05-27-2011 01:56 PM
courses that are not offered in summer school cmhtbx First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 03-04-2011 11:35 AM
Biology 3U03 offered in summer? jangh2 Academics 4 10-16-2010 08:31 PM
English Courses Not Offered Alchemist11 Academics 3 06-08-2010 11:45 PM

Are any BTECH courses offered during summer?

Old 11-03-2012 at 02:54 PM   #1
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Are any BTECH courses offered during summer?
Anyone know if they offer any btech courses during spring and summer terms?
Old 11-03-2012 at 03:20 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
Anyone know if they offer any btech courses during spring and summer terms?
Not sure exactly which btech courses you're referring to...but most likely no. You can go to the master timetable and check which ones were offered last summer. Just make sure to select "spring/summer 2012" instead of the default fall/winter session.
Old 11-03-2012 at 03:31 PM   #3
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Not sure exactly which btech courses you're referring to...but most likely no. You can go to the master timetable and check which ones were offered last summer. Just make sure to select "spring/summer 2012" instead of the default fall/winter session.
Does it mean they will be offered this summer if they were last summer? I'm getting this info for someone else, just dont wanna misinform them.
Old 11-03-2012 at 03:57 PM   #4
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

There is no guarantee.
Old 11-03-2012 at 04:10 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Does it mean they will be offered this summer if they were last summer? I'm getting this info for someone else, just dont wanna misinform them.
If you're asking on behalf of somebody else, in order to inform them for their future academic choices, you really should contact an advisor with B.Tech instead of asking on macinsiders

Courses are put up for summer based on demand.. I know engineering has very limited options, but I don't know about B.Tech. As a rough rule of thumb, yes, courses from last summer *probably* will be offered -- moreso if they're first year compared to 3rd and 4th year courses, or specialty courses.
Old 11-03-2012 at 04:13 PM   #6
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

BTECH will always look like BETCH to me.

On-topic: if it's a popular and/or mandatory course with an above-average fail rate and it was offered last summer, it'll likely be offered in this summer. But like someone above said, there are no guarantees.
Old 11-03-2012 at 04:42 PM   #7
lifesciman1

So what do btech students do when they fail courses? just drop out? online? I told him to call an advisor, but his english is not on par..
Old 11-03-2012 at 04:47 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
So what do btech students do when they fail courses? just drop out? online? I told him to call an advisor, but his english is not on par..
If he doesn't speak English well enough to talk to an academic advisor, how did he get into McMaster and how does he plan on getting a degree/studying in the English language?
It doesn't require complex language skills to ask a question like that to someone.

If you fail a course that is not offered during the summer and required for your program, you can take it online (if possible), at another university during the summer (again, if possible) or you'll have to repeat it the following year.
Old 11-03-2012 at 08:50 PM   #9
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

If you are referring to the 4 year B.tech program, then the only courses that are likely to show up in the summer are MATH 1,2,3 or 4. Or if enough people fail one particular subject.

There are very few courses that can be taken online if any. And if you do fail a course, go talk to your advisor or the head of your stream and they would be more than willing to help you.

If your failing right now, keep at it and work your ass off. Because B.Tech is still a small program they do make some exceptions. At the end of the semester if you are a couple marks short they will be willing to see how well you did in your other courses and your attendance, so dont give up yet.

The entire program is still small so there is no hard answer. When I failed a math course my chances looked dim but it turned out quiet a few people failed and a Summer course was added for all of them to make up
Old 11-03-2012 at 08:53 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Yes they do offer btech courses during summer school. Your friend should talk to Arlene (the btech academic advisor), she will help him out. The usually offer all of the eng tech courses during the summer, but they don't usually offer the gen tech ones (only few, and i don't think they offer the first year ones).
I think your friend should talk to Arlene about this before he drops anything.
Old 11-03-2012 at 08:59 PM   #11
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
Like the person above said, let him speak to Arlene. A really good suggestion is also to go speak to the head of his program.

What year/stream is he in if you dont mind me asking? It will be helpful in advising
Old 11-03-2012 at 11:33 PM   #12
lifesciman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Like the person above said, let him speak to Arlene. A really good suggestion is also to go speak to the head of his program.

What year/stream is he in if you dont mind me asking? It will be helpful in advising
thank you everyone. He is failing the programing course (c or c++?) he is in biotech,but none of the first term courses relate to a specific stream according to the website.
Old 11-03-2012 at 11:37 PM   #13
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Quote:
thank you everyone. He is failing the programing course (c or c++?) he is in biotech,but none of the first term courses relate to a specific stream according to the website.
I know last year they had a summer course for Vb and C++, so he could be in luck.

Also I dont think that course is a prerequisite for too many other courses so if anything he would simply be one course behind. Speak to arlene and she will help him out.

lifesciman1 says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.