MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 2nd and 3rd year courses fernancb Academics 2 09-17-2010 07:24 PM
Will the first term courses be offered in second term too? nanaaoyama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-04-2010 10:37 PM
Wondering about english courses (2C/E/F03) H.Abbas Academics 10 06-20-2009 12:20 AM
Easy english courses? hans23 Academics 6 06-04-2009 02:24 PM
More info about English courses? leah.d Academics 11 08-03-2008 08:36 PM

English Courses Not Offered

Old 06-08-2010 at 11:01 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

English Courses Not Offered
Hey guys,

There are some English courses that actually interest me such as English 2J03, I believe it's crossed listed with CSCT 2J03. It's a pop culture course of some sort, and seems relatively easy and fun.

There are also a couple other ones, but in the Master Timetable, they all seem to be cancelled.

My questions are, a) does it seem likely that these courses will be offered after next year? It's not like the course codes have been removed or anything..
b) Why would a course be not offered? Not enough interest? How would they determine that?
c) Does anyone know if these English courses are generally offered in the summer? This year they aren't, but I can't speak for any other year because I'm in first year. So far I figure 1A03 and 1AA3 are the most common/popular, especially during summer.

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-08-2010 at 11:16 PM   #2
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

its probably cuz they dont have the resources to run all those courses
u know, with the tuition increase, they dont have any more money
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-08-2010 at 11:27 PM   #3
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hey guys,

There are some English courses that actually interest me such as English 2J03, I believe it's crossed listed with CSCT 2J03. It's a pop culture course of some sort, and seems relatively easy and fun.

There are also a couple other ones, but in the Master Timetable, they all seem to be cancelled.

My questions are, a) does it seem likely that these courses will be offered after next year? It's not like the course codes have been removed or anything..
b) Why would a course be not offered? Not enough interest? How would they determine that?
c) Does anyone know if these English courses are generally offered in the summer? This year they aren't, but I can't speak for any other year because I'm in first year. So far I figure 1A03 and 1AA3 are the most common/popular, especially during summer.

Thanks a lot.
I've noticed that a lot of English courses have been offered on an alternating basis. If they are not offered next year, it is likely that you will have a chance to take these courses sometime in your undergraduate degree... This also seems to be true for summer English courses too.
Old 06-08-2010 at 11:45 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Some courses are only offered every other year.

They can't run every course every year so for non-required courses they run a lot of them every other year and alternate.

They need people to teach courses so if there is no one to teach them they can't run them, and of course there are space and money issues to running every single course every year.