MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 2nd and 3rd year courses fernancb Academics 2 09-17-2010 07:24 PM
English Courses Not Offered Alchemist11 Academics 3 06-08-2010 11:45 PM
English Courses Without a Final Exam? rrtt Academics 1 06-05-2009 04:33 PM
Easy english courses? hans23 Academics 6 06-04-2009 02:24 PM
More info about English courses? leah.d Academics 11 08-03-2008 08:36 PM

Wondering about english courses (2C/E/F03)

Old 06-19-2009 at 11:43 PM   #1
H.Abbas

Liked: 0 Times

Wondering about english courses (2C/E/F03)
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had taken english 2C03, 2E03, or 2F03, i was just wondering about thelevel of difficulty of the courses, I need to take a year of english for grad school in the states and considering this will be an elective as iam in science, iam wondering which of these will be relatively easy (if any)
Old 06-19-2009 at 11:51 PM   #2
aani

Liked: 9 Times

I second this question b/c all the first year Englishs are full for some reason :(.

Also hows 2J03? Apparently the course has gotten harder in recent times...so if anyones taken it recently I'd appreciate the feedback .
Old 06-19-2009 at 11:54 PM   #3
H.Abbas

a friend of mine took it, and its apparently not that easy
its full too erp :X
Old 06-19-2009 at 11:57 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I don't understand why people think English courses are so easy!

They aren't! If they were all the English majors would be getting 11's and 12's...and we don't!

Class averages are usually around a C+/B-.

As for 2C03, 2E03, or 2F03, they are offered on a rotating basis (every other year to once every three years) so I haven't taken any of them.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-19-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2009 at 11:59 PM   #5
aani

Liked: 9 Times

lorend, We don't think they're easy at all! Haha that's why all us science-y kids are always on the hunt for the easiest ones out of all of them
Old 06-20-2009 at 12:01 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I personally find all english courses hard :\
Old 06-20-2009 at 12:04 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aani View Post
lorend, We don't think they're easy at all! Haha that's why all us science-y kids are always on the hunt for the easiest ones out of all of them
This is not to say against anything about the previous sessional professors, but a lot of the English profs teaching classes this year (according to what the master timetable say) don't usually teach undergrad classes.

Since the sessionals have all been laid off (again, going with the timetable), it's going to be hard to tell others about marking schemes and course expectations as most of the current profs don't normally teach!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-20-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-20-2009 at 12:05 AM   #8
H.Abbas

yeah loren i agree with aani, im awful at english, which is why im in science, but i need english so i might as well get the easiest ones
Old 06-20-2009 at 12:10 AM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I find it funny how people who are bad in english go into science only to find out that to get into graduate school you need english. Funny yet extremely saddening for me.
Old 06-20-2009 at 12:13 AM   #10
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

I'm in science and for my english courses I took Engliash 1A03 and 1AA3 and i'm planning on taking more this year.

English 1A03 and 1AA3 definitely weren't easy but I think I did well because I enjoyed the material.

There are no easy english courses, just ones that you enjoy more than others.
Old 06-20-2009 at 12:20 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Typically 2J03 tends to be easier than others because it is a critique about popular culture...and unless you live under a rock you have a rough idea of what goes on around you.

I bet 2F03 (American Lit) is going to focus on Twain, Poe, Herman Melville (i.e. author of Moby Dick), Steinback, Thoureau, Whitman, Frost, T.S. Eliot etc. Adamson likes affect theory and literature, psychoanalysis and literature, Northrop Frye, 19th century American literature, comparative literature (English, French, Latin American)...so I think my prediction may be more or less correct.

I'm not too sure about 2E03, though. 20th Century British lit would make me assume you could be reading some interesting stuff (Trainspotting, Harry Potter etc), but that will depend on the Prof's interests. Apparently King likes New Historicism; Material Culture; fiction writing; films according to his profile...but that could be pretty vague. Email him and ask him what kinds of material he's putting on the syllabus?

Also, 2C03 isn't being offered.

aani, sinthusized all say thanks to lorend for this post.