MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English 2nd and 3rd year courses fernancb Academics 2 09-17-2010 07:24 PM
English Courses Not Offered Alchemist11 Academics 3 06-08-2010 11:45 PM
Wondering about english courses (2C/E/F03) H.Abbas Academics 10 06-20-2009 12:20 AM
English Courses Without a Final Exam? rrtt Academics 1 06-05-2009 04:33 PM
Easy english courses? hans23 Academics 6 06-04-2009 02:24 PM

More info about English courses?

Old 07-28-2008 at 11:56 PM   #1
leah.d

Liked: 0 Times

More info about English courses?
I need to take an english course that includes writing (an essay component) and assesment of my writing. It is a prerequitisite to get into the Physio graduate program at Western (what i want to do after my undergrad).
So would ENGLISH 1A03 fullfill this requirement?
Old 07-29-2008 at 12:01 AM   #2
leah.d

the course needs to be: "
  • any half course taught by a Department or School of English or Writing (prefix ENGL) in a country where English is the first language
  • should be an essay course (approximately 1,500 words of essay writing) - at Western, these English essay courses are designated with an "E", "F", or "G".
  • should have some evidence of WRITING critique (marked on writing style, i.e. on "how" as well as "what" one writes)
  • Please Note: Essay courses from other academic departments will NOT be accepted"
Old 07-29-2008 at 06:56 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You are best to contact the English department directly, as they will have more experience in this.

But yes, English 1A03 should fulfill the requirements from what I understand. The only thing that may not fill is the 1500 words (about 5-6 pages) -- I don't know if you would write an essay of that length in a first year class or not...I can't remember.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-29-2008 at 08:59 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

From what I understand, it's not one big essay that's 1500 words. So 3 essays of 500 words should be enough. But I would suggest contacting Western about that.

leah.d says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-01-2008 at 01:06 PM   #5
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

I hade a first year english, long genres, and we had two essays. I know the first one was really short and the second wasn't that much longer. However as for the 1500 eassay not necessarily being a first year thing, in my Poli Sci class we most had an essay of at least this length.

Hope that helps
Old 08-01-2008 at 02:55 PM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

In any first year English class you should be able to meet these requirements esp in Long Genres or History of English Literature (1C06). Double check with the English Department and get their input on it though. Western won't know anything about our courses so your best bet is to go through departments that way if Western does need to be contacted then our English dept can do the talking.

leah.d says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-01-2008 at 05:49 PM   #7
leah.d

I have already emailed western and the reply was, "We do not specify that the 1500 words of essay writing must be in one essay.
Yes, ENG 1A03 is acceptable for the English essay requirement. Yes, PSYCH
1X03 is acceptable for the social science requirement."
So should I still contact the english department at mac?
and this reply was from Donna Beer
Graduate Program Assistant
Master of Physical Therapy Program
Old 08-01-2008 at 07:42 PM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

If Western said that the 1500 word count doesn't have to be restricted to one essay then I don't think so. Every class with an essay is going to critique you so you don't have to worry about meeting that requirement either!

Old 08-01-2008 at 07:54 PM   #9
McMaxwell

Here'es the info I mentioned earlier, hopped on WebCt and found last years course outline for English 1AA3 ( Longer Genres)

Assignments and Evaluations:

1 500 word essay 15%: due October 1
1 1000 word essay 30%: due November 12
Tutorial Presentation 10%
Tutorial Participation 10%
Final Exam 35%

This of course totals 1500 words.

Cikka, leah.d all say thanks to McMaxwell for this post.
Old 08-03-2008 at 05:50 PM   #10
leah.d

So are you saying that I should take 1AA3, not 1A03?
I don't know if i can even take the second one if i havent taking the first one?
Old 08-03-2008 at 06:08 PM   #11
McMaxwell

If 1A03 is shorter genres I think it'll be very much the same. Just differs in the type of things you'll be reading. (Novels vs. Short Stories) You should be ifne with 1A03, I was just posting the type of things you can expect from the first year english courses
Old 08-03-2008 at 08:36 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah.d View Post
So are you saying that I should take 1AA3, not 1A03?
I don't know if i can even take the second one if i havent taking the first one?
You can take long genres without short genres or visa versa.
And Maxwell is right, you can expect the same sort of work load with both classes (obviously with variations depending on prof) but the type of literature you read will be different: Long Genres= novels, Short Genres= poems, plays, short stories and the occasional novella.