MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xbox in residence revenant Gaming 6 09-22-2010 07:14 PM
xbox 360. timmyblacks General Discussion 10 04-06-2009 10:56 AM
Got Xbox LIVE? AnguishedEnd Gaming 38 11-18-2008 07:48 AM
What do XBOX ads look like in India? Chad Gaming 3 11-24-2006 02:08 PM

Anyone buying/getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas?

Old 12-21-2009 at 12:33 PM   #1
jjcole

Liked: 0 Times

Anyone buying/getting an Xbox 360 for Christmas?
MS has a program going where if an existing Xbox 360 owner sends you a "Cheap Shot" (see link), and you verify your console through their website, you get a full downloadable 360 game for free and the other person gets 1600 MS points.

I thought it would be handy to have a place for Mac students who are getting a 360 anyway to match up with existing owners and everyone gets free stuff! So if you're planning on getting a 360, post here and find someone to send you a "Cheap Shot" and enter the program!

http://www.thecheapshot.ca/
Old 12-21-2009 at 02:11 PM   #2
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

sweet. i was planning to get a ps3 though... is there something like that for ps3?
Old 12-21-2009 at 02:59 PM   #3
jjcole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
sweet. i was planning to get a ps3 though... is there something like that for ps3?
This is a Microsoft program. Maybe Sony will decide to do something similar, but it's unlikely.
Old 12-22-2009 at 07:47 PM   #4
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

ps3 is way better anyway- it's a bluray player!
Old 12-22-2009 at 08:38 PM   #5
jjcole

I'd much rather just have an Xbox 360 and a Blu-ray player lol.
Old 12-25-2009 at 08:25 AM   #6
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

ps3 and 360 are about the same whenit comes to gaming perofmrance, so why not get the one that has the bluray player built in.
Old 12-25-2009 at 11:00 AM   #7
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
ps3 and 360 are about the same whenit comes to gaming perofmrance, so why not get the one that has the bluray player built in.
It isn't just about the console's performance, the games are not all the same on both consoles. I think the games that you planning on buying are probably what you should base the decision on.

Old 12-25-2009 at 11:50 AM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

As expected, this turns into console wars. lol.

The thing that really turns me off of the 360 is that I have to pay a monthly subscription, in lieu of my internet bill, just to play the games that, once more, I paid for. I end up paying in three different ways, just to play the game I should pay for once...9 times out of 10, the same game is available on the PS3 with a free monthly subscription.

(In terms of hardware as well, I think the PS3 is superior (although that means dick all to me, since unused potential is worthless)...that's why it was so bloody expensive lol)
Old 12-25-2009 at 02:14 PM   #9
TedMosby

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
As expected, this turns into console wars. lol.

The thing that really turns me off of the 360 is that I have to pay a monthly subscription, in lieu of my internet bill, just to play the games that, once more, I paid for. I end up paying in three different ways, just to play the game I should pay for once...9 times out of 10, the same game is available on the PS3 with a free monthly subscription.

(In terms of hardware as well, I think the PS3 is superior (although that means dick all to me, since unused potential is worthless)...that's why it was so bloody expensive lol)
I wouldn't mind paying 50 bucks a year if it means I'll get a superior online experience.
Old 12-25-2009 at 02:20 PM   #10
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
I wouldn't mind paying 50 bucks a year if it means I'll get a superior online experience.

superior?

Xbox isn't superior there are so many problems with the xbox live, not that ps3 doesn't have its problems. Xbox is just has a larger online gaming experience because its more affordable and everyone has it. PS3 did fail... but its a great system... and yeh its not at its full potential. I don't want to get into this... they have been out for a while everyone has their own preference.. lets not start a console war.
Old 12-25-2009 at 02:28 PM   #11
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i have an xbox, if anyone wants this or gets a new xbox, my live name is "fusiongrenade", just send me a message and I'll send you a shot!
Old 12-25-2009 at 03:11 PM   #12
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I'd rather buy a game for that price...after a year, I'd have something to show for that $50.

Quote:
PS3 did fail... but its a great system... and yeh its not at its full potential.
Same thing happened with the PS2...when it comes time for the prices to drop (ie. now a PS3 isn't much more expensive than a 360), the PS3 will pick up momentum.

Not to mention, there are people like me who dislike gaming with large groups. (The more people you have in a game, the higher the probability of there being an idiot among the bunch)

Last edited by Mowicz : 12-25-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2009 at 06:58 PM   #13
jjcole

Quote:
I literally came back to post that exact thing. Didn't mean to start console wars though.

I also agree it's all about the games. A few Xbox exclusives are must-haves for me. So far there's probably been less than 10 PS3 exclusive games I would have wanted to play, and none that I really HAVE to play. But I can easily see how fans of FF, GT, MGS, etc. would obviously go for the PS3 and get the bonus Blu-ray player.
Old 12-25-2009 at 07:00 PM   #14
jjcole

Quote:
Xbox isn't superior there are so many problems with the xbox live, not that ps3 doesn't have its problems. Xbox is just has a larger online gaming experience because its more affordable and everyone has it. PS3 did fail... but its a great system... and yeh its not at its full potential. I don't want to get into this... they have been out for a while everyone has their own preference.. lets not start a console war.
Maybe more people have the CONSOLE, but as people have pointed out the online service is obviously NOT "more affordable". I really haven't had very many problems with Xbox Live (don't play ALL the time but enough to warrant $60/year) so to me it's definitely worth the premium to pay for the service.

So now that it's passed Christmas, did ANYONE get an Xbox 360? Anyone at all? =P