MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how is my course planning Elaine Guo Academics 13 06-24-2012 11:37 AM
Class-to-class: How easy is it to find rooms? Hawkes First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-08-2011 08:40 PM
Walking from class to class without being late aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 06-22-2011 12:53 AM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM

for anyone who is in chinese class or is planning to, bad news

Old 03-20-2013 at 10:46 AM   #1
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

for anyone who is in chinese class or is planning to, bad news
All classes are cancelled, most likely you will get your current mark.

http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/new...rticle8372894/

I really enjoyed my 1st year chinese class, ms wu was a great teacher. This seem to be way out of student's hand now because the involvment of governments, human right issues, falon gong (a illegal neo religion ) and more. Good bye Ms Wu...i always thought you are cute...and an awsome teacher.

March 19, 2013
Dear Students,
It is with great regret that we can no longer walk into the classrooms and teach you about Chinese language and culture.
As you all know, McMaster University unilaterally released a statement on February 7, 2013 stating that it would close the Confucius Institute at McMaster on July 31 of 2013 because “the hiring decision in China did not reflect the normal hiring practices of the University”. Furthermore, McMaster also stated to the Canadian media that “we were uncomfortable”, which aroused extensive concern of society. McMaster’s announcement and communication with the media was not only done without previous consultation with the Chinese side, but the announced reason for closing the Confucius Institute was also extremely misleading. This gesture has severely affected our professional image and personal reputation, and also the reputation of the Chinese partner. After the statement was released, the Chinese side has made numerous requests, hoping that McMaster could provide a reasonable explanation for the closing down of the Confucius Institute, but McMaster insisted on maintaining its initial decision. Consequently, we have no other option but to terminate our work at the CI and to return to China.
As your instructors, we are deeply saddened to be faced with such a situation. We fully empathize with you, especially about the blow that this incident has brought on you. This incident has disrupted your study plans, and also brought huge losses on our work, life and future. Our families and we are all extremely hurt by this incident, and just like all of you, we are also victims.
Nevertheless, we solemnly promise that we will mark all the quizzes, tests, projects and homework that you have done so far and notify you the corresponding results by the end of the winter term.
In the future, if you encounter any difficulty while studying Chinese, we will do our best to help you just like in the old days, and hope that you will get a chance to visit China.
Sincerely Yours,
Chinese faculty and staff of the CI at McMaster
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:04 AM   #2
Nelumbo

Liked: 2 Times

I got this as well today!

What will happen with our marks? Or credits? I'm pretty concerned actually because there is no correspondence from McMaster about the accommodation they are going to make for the students.

I was going to visit an academic adviser, however, I'm not actually sure who to speak with. It's a pretty crazy situation all in all.
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:09 AM   #3
biglandfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
I got this as well today!

What will happen with our marks? Or credits? I'm pretty concerned actually because there is no correspondence from McMaster about the accommodation they are going to make for the students.

I was going to visit an academic adviser, however, I'm not actually sure who to speak with. It's a pretty crazy situation all in all.
im pretty sure you will get your credit along with you current mark.

this has happened to me before, where my entire school was closed down and i still got my credit.
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:20 AM   #4
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

I am glad that this happen and agree with McMaster's reasoning. Love how the article said Waterwoo would not close its own Institute. Obviously it would caused a riot there.

macbaby07 likes this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 01:13 PM   #5
biglandfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
I am glad that this happen and agree with McMaster's reasoning. Love how the article said Waterwoo would not close its own Institute. Obviously it would caused a riot there.
Hey man have you ever been so far even as decided to use go want to look more like?

if not i suggest you go to ESL.

ZSimon says thanks to biglandfarm for this post.

Grover, Jesse.C, ZSimon like this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 01:34 PM   #6
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

So, they can just do that? Cancel a whole stream of courses in the middle of the year?
With no refund???
Old 03-20-2013 at 02:00 PM   #7
Nelumbo

Liked: 2 Times

McMaster has not contacted us at all regarding this. The letter posted is from the Confucius Institute staff. I don't think anything quite like this has happened before (could be wrong though) as this is appears to be a bit more like a job action. The department was supposed to continue until the end of July. What can they really do in the situation that the department refuses to work anymore? Find and pay new teachers for the last few weeks?

I suppose if this were a larger or more important class they would have responded in some way to the students already. But Chinese is comparatively teensy. I'd appreciate even a crummy form-letter 'we'll let you know what is going to happen soon'. Any real response.

Is this really out of the ordinary? Or should I be wary about taking small-class electives in the future? Grrrr. Yeah. I'm pretty angry.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 02:58 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
So, they can just do that? Cancel a whole stream of courses in the middle of the year?
With no refund???
I think there's no refund because students will get the credit. Also, all students will pass, they'd have to make sure of this because anyone could argue that they could have brought up their mark to a pass with the final exam that they are now not allowed to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
McMaster has not contacted us at all regarding this. The letter posted is from the Confucius Institute staff. I don't think anything quite like this has happened before (could be wrong though) as this is appears to be a bit more like a job action. The department was supposed to continue until the end of July. What can they really do in the situation that the department refuses to work anymore? Find and pay new teachers for the last few weeks?

I suppose if this were a larger or more important class they would have responded in some way to the students already. But Chinese is comparatively teensy. I'd appreciate even a crummy form-letter 'we'll let you know what is going to happen soon'. Any real response.

Is this really out of the ordinary? Or should I be wary about taking small-class electives in the future? Grrrr. Yeah. I'm pretty angry.
I've never had this happen in any "small-class" courses. I think it's a highly unusual situation, and unique given the CI's position within the university.
Old 03-20-2013 at 05:00 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
... falon gong (a illegal neo religion )
lol, I like how everyone assumes what the Chinese government has to say about Falun Gong is what it actually is.
Old 03-20-2013 at 05:07 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol, I like how everyone assumes what the Chinese government has to say about Falun Gong is what it actually is.
"Everyone" being one person?

I have never heard of Falun Gong before, but I don't think it really matters whether or not the Chinese government considers it illegal...the point is that in Canada, you cannot base your hiring practices on religion unless it's for a religious organization, and we consider freedom of religion a basic human right. The argument is that by supporting the organization that uses these discriminatory hiring practices, Mac is supporting/condoning them.
Old 03-20-2013 at 05:08 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
I have never heard of Falun Gong before, but I don't think it really matters whether or not the Chinese government considers it illegal...the point is that in Canada, you cannot base your hiring practices on religion unless it's for a religious organization, and we consider freedom of religion a basic human right. The argument is that by supporting the organization that uses these discriminatory hiring practices, Mac is supporting/condoning them.
It's not a religion though. And I've heard it said a lot that Falun Gong is some kind of cult by people who don't know much about it. The Chinese government is spreading that rumour because they feel like it's going to instigate instability in the country... basically like how they think any way of thinking different from theirs is going to.
Old 03-20-2013 at 05:15 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
It's not a religion though. And I've heard it said a lot that Falun Gong is some kind of cult by people who don't know much about it. The Chinese government is spreading that rumour because they feel like it's going to instigate instability in the country... basically like how they think any way of thinking different from theirs is going to.
If it's not a religion or a cult then what is it? (I'm genuinely curious)

Also, I think for "freedom of religion" to apply, it doesn't have to be an organized religion, it is just any honest belief system (by "honest" I mean the person really believes it and isn't just pretending to). It also ties into freedom of thought/speech, which religious freedom is essentially an extension of. So whether or not it is a religion persay, it's still against Canadian law to discriminate against a person for their beliefs, as long as they're not hurting anyone.
Old 03-20-2013 at 05:49 PM   #13
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
If it's not a religion or a cult then what is it? (I'm genuinely curious)
I don't know an extensive amount of information about it, but I looked it up some time ago after I had a friend tell me some stuff about that sounded like a bunch of bullshit (i.e. they all light themselves on fire to do protests, they're all insane. etc). Also because I've seen protests about it in Toronto and Markham.

From what I understand, it's basically an amalgamation of traditional Chinese beliefs and teachings (teachings of Confucius, some stuff from Buddhism. etc) Rather than worshiping deities and worrying about the afterlife, like in actual religions, it's more of a guide to living a fulfilling life. One of the tenets is to not push anyone into it.

Basically the Chinese government is freaked out by it because it kind of represents what Chinese values/beliefs were like before the communist revolution. A lot of people are getting into it in China (something like 80 million participants already) so that's why the government so bent on getting rid of it.

I feel like it would make sense to have students learn about it in a Chinese class, seeing as it is Chinese culture.

Aside from all that though, I've heard there are other problems with the Confucius Institute, more along the lines of China using them as a way to keep tabs on other countries/cities. They have them all over the world.

Hopefully McMaster can establish a new Chinese program disjoint from the Confucius Institute and all their problems some day.

starfish says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 03-20-2013 at 06:10 PM   #14
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
With no refund???
The article says "McMaster will pull the plug when the current contract, which is up for renewal, expires July 31." I guess the Chinese faculty and staff just decided that they're going to quit now instead of letting the contract end? Not sure...
Old 03-20-2013 at 07:24 PM   #15
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
The article says "McMaster will pull the plug when the current contract, which is up for renewal, expires July 31." I guess the Chinese faculty and staff just decided that they're going to quit now instead of letting the contract end? Not sure...
That is what happen.