MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how is my course planning Elaine Guo Academics 13 06-24-2012 11:37 AM
Class-to-class: How easy is it to find rooms? Hawkes First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 09-08-2011 08:40 PM
Walking from class to class without being late aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 50 06-22-2011 12:53 AM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM

for anyone who is in chinese class or is planning to, bad news

Old 03-20-2013 at 09:37 PM   #16
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
That is what happen.
Then what did this mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
March 19, 2013
Dear Students,
It is with great regret that we can no longer walk into the classrooms and teach you about Chinese language and culture.
Nevertheless, we solemnly promise that we will mark all the quizzes, tests, projects and homework that you have done so far and notify you the corresponding results by the end of the winter term.
It makes it sound like they're not going to teach any more classes this semester, whereas the article states that McMaster decided that the classes this semester will be the last ones--meaning, the program would end July 31, not RIGHT NOW.
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:01 PM   #17
ptsrm

Liked: 1 Time

Falun Gong is a quick means for people to fast-track their permanent residency application in Canada. Once you claim you practice Falun Gong, you would be able to seek asylum in Canada and subsequently become a refugee, then you would appear in front of an immigration judge in the court and would be granted Permanent Residency. I like how people give the woman, Sonia Zhao, the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if she lied about practicing Falun Gong and premeditated the whole thing just to get PR in Canada. In fact, she did seek asylum and possibly became a refugee.

Last edited by ptsrm : 03-20-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:36 PM   #18
Fengatron

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't know an extensive amount of information about it, but I looked it up some time ago after I had a friend tell me some stuff about that sounded like a bunch of bullshit (i.e. they all light themselves on fire to do protests, they're all insane. etc). Also because I've seen protests about it in Toronto and Markham.

From what I understand, it's basically an amalgamation of traditional Chinese beliefs and teachings (teachings of Confucius, some stuff from Buddhism. etc) Rather than worshiping deities and worrying about the afterlife, like in actual religions, it's more of a guide to living a fulfilling life. One of the tenets is to not push anyone into it.

Basically the Chinese government is freaked out by it because it kind of represents what Chinese values/beliefs were like before the communist revolution. A lot of people are getting into it in China (something like 80 million participants already) so that's why the government so bent on getting rid of it.

I feel like it would make sense to have students learn about it in a Chinese class, seeing as it is Chinese culture.

Aside from all that though, I've heard there are other problems with the Confucius Institute, more along the lines of China using them as a way to keep tabs on other countries/cities. They have them all over the world.

Hopefully McMaster can establish a new Chinese program disjoint from the Confucius Institute and all their problems some day.
Falun gong is indeed a cult, and ther purpose of it? To get the leader of the cult out of China. Yes, that is the sole purpose of it. The leader of Falun gong left China and became a refugee in the US after he established the cult through media and those self incineration shit... Never returned nor said anything to those who believed in Falun gong afterwards. And now admitting yourself to be a Falun gong member is the go-to way to seek refugee status as a Chinese citizen.(many of them claim to believe in Falun gong but all they want is actually just that refugee status)

And Falun gong is absolutely not part of Chinese culture, they only made it look like a cultural belief because that's the easiest way for foreigners to accept it and it is quite easy to convice people its a religious belief rather than a cult.
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:41 PM   #19
ptsrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fengatron View Post
Falun gong is indeed a cult, and ther purpose of it? To get the leader of the cult out of China. Yes, that is the sole purpose of it. The leader of Falun gong left China and became a refugee in the US after he established the cult through media and those self incineration shit... Never returned nor said anything to those who believed in Falun gong afterwards. And now admitting yourself to be a Falun gong member is the go-to way to seek refugee status as a Chinese citizen.(many of them claim to believe in Falun gong but all they want is actually just that refugee status)

And Falun gong is absolutely not part of Chinese culture, they only made it look like a cultural belief because that's the easiest way for foreigners to accept it and it is quite easy to convice people its a religious belief rather than a cult.
Well said! I agree with you 100%
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:44 PM   #20
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fengatron View Post

What's with the other millions of followers then? They can't all possibly be in it for potential refugee status outside China...

Even if it was originally created as a means for some guy to run away from China, and some people are exploiting it to do the same - what makes it a cult and a false representation of Chinese culture?
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:52 PM   #21
ptsrm

Quote:
What's with the other millions of followers then? They can't all possibly be in it for potential refugee status outside China...

Even if it was originally created as a means for some guy to run away from China, and some people are exploiting it to do the same - what makes it a cult and a false representation of Chinese culture?
I'd like to see the source claiming that there are "millions of follower of Falun Gong". I guess some kind of media (webpage, news paper?) One note I want to make here is that people tend to believe that the Chinese people are brainwashed by the Chinese government and the associated-media. I have to say it's somewhat true. But how do you know you are not brainwashed by the media in the free world? Think about it.
Old 03-21-2013 at 12:00 AM   #22
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsrm View Post
I'd like to see the source claiming that there are "millions of follower of Falun Gong". I guess some kind of media (webpage, news paper?)
Well, the Wikipedia article says so. I would assume that the Chinese government wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't such a large number.

Quote:
Although the practice initially enjoyed considerable support from Chinese officialdom, by the mid- to late-1990s, the Communist Party and public security organs increasingly viewed Falun Gong as a potential threat due to its size, independence from the state, and spiritual teachings. By 1999, some estimates placed the number of Falun Gong adherents in the tens of millions.
Not the most reliable source, but several sites/articles state figures that are in the millions.

Quote:
One note I want to make here is that people tend to believe that the Chinese people are brainwashed by the Chinese government and the associated-media. I have to say it's somewhat true. How do you know you are now brainwashed by the media in the free world? Think about it.
I don't, that's why I'm asking questions. I'm just basing what I wrote off of what I've read.

Based on China's track record though, I'd be more inclined to believe facts, figures and data not originating in the Chinese government. Everyone remembers that whole melamine in the baby formula thing that China only decided to punish for after the world got upset.
Old 03-21-2013 at 12:17 AM   #23
ptsrm

Quote:
Well, the Wikipedia article says so. I would assume that the Chinese government wouldn't be so concerned if it wasn't such a large number.

Not the most reliable source, but several sites/articles state figures that are in the millions.

I don't, that's why I'm asking questions. I'm just basing what I wrote off of what I've read.

Based on China's track record though, I'd be more inclined to believe facts, figures and data not originating in the Chinese government. Everyone remembers that whole melamine in the baby formula thing[/url] that China only decided to punish for after the world got upset.

Sorry, I have to delete some of your original word because "You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 5 posts."

My opinion:

You can't possibly citing wikipedia as a reliable source... And other sources, if you choose to believe those figures, then I don't think I can convince you otherwise, so let's move on.

To my knowledge the Chinese government is not really concerned about Falun Gong because it's considered a non-factor. So if you believe that the Chinese government is really concerned then it's probably from some other source/media outlet. You can choose to believe them if you think they're more reliable.Again, I don't think I can convince you otherwise.

I hope one day you could get a chance to go to China and get a first-hand experience and see for yourself rather than from the media. I'll buy you dinner if I happen to be there.

Last edited by ptsrm : 03-21-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2013 at 12:22 AM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Sorry, I have to delete some of your original word because "You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 5 posts."

My opinion:

You can't possibly citing wikipedia as a reliable source... And other sources, if you choose to believe those figures, then I don't think I can convince you otherwise, so let's move on.

To my knowledge the Chinese government is not really concerned about Falun Gong because it's considered a non-factor. So if you believe that the Chinese government is really concerned then it's probably from some other source/media outlet. You can choose to believe them if you think reliable.Again, I don't think I can convince you otherwise.

I hope one day you could get a chance to go to China and get a first-hand experience and see for yourself rather then from the media.
lol fair enough, I'm not going pretend like I know the whole story. This is straying from the original topic anyway.

Quote:
I'll buy you dinner if I happen to be there.
Maybe I'll take you up on that some day, haha.
Old 03-21-2013 at 12:44 AM   #25
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

chinese 1z06 text book for sale

Grover, Nelumbo, Zebedee like this.