MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
commuting to mcmaster Jobbles Automotive & Transportation 13 09-09-2010 09:43 AM
Commuting first year? dreamer21 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-08-2010 09:50 AM
Anyone commuting from Brampton ????? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-06-2010 07:49 PM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM
Anyone commuting from Milton? Alchemist11 General Discussion 10 08-18-2009 03:32 PM

Anyone Commuting to Mac?

Old 09-28-2010 at 12:36 AM   #1
recos

Liked: 1 Time

Anyone Commuting to Mac?
lol, i know this question might be a little 'late' to ask, but i was just curious as to how many people commute to mac everyday? and do you feel that it's 'hard' to do so?

i commute to mac from Mississauga everyday, and although some of my buddies tell me it's 'hard'...i hardly see what's hard about it...i mean, it would be nice to live near mac, but i don't think i'd actually mind commuting for the next 4+ years or so...i mean, maybe my mind might change after commuting during the winter lol.

so, is there anyone commuting? specifically from misssissauga? i'd love to have a bus buddy i haven't really made much friends yet, and it's kinda sad i know =__= but a bus buddy would be awesome
Old 09-28-2010 at 12:50 AM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

It's easier in the first month I found than the latter ones. I was sick a lot and I found the bus a large waste of time. There are some people who can and will always read on the bus for the 4 years they commute. I began doing this and started falling asleep. I had a lot of 8:30 AM classes which played a big role in it as well. Waking up at 6:30 AM to stand at the bus stop in the freezing cold for 20 minutes is not enjoyable when res kids wake up at 8:00 AM and can still be more alert for their classes than you can.

As well, I had to get dropped and picked up from the bus stop so if my schedule didn't work out well with whomever was driving me, that caused a lot of wait time which became frustrating if I needed to take a nap but couldn't or had a really important assignment to finish but had to wait till I got home. Local roads - always a pain. About an extra 20 to 50 minutes to my commute, especially when people need to stop to pick up other things. Wintertime construction was brutal for my drive back home.

I learned a lot but no, I wouldn't repeat it.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-28-2010 at 02:48 AM   #3
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

I commute from Stoney Creek (little less than an hour on the beeline express public bus) everyday and don't mind it at all. I even did it all 4 years of high school, so maybe it's because I'm used to it that I don't mind it so much. But gotta say, it's getting kinda annoying with 2 evening classes this semester...just get an iPod touch and watch TV/music for the hour
Old 09-28-2010 at 07:08 AM   #4
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

I drive about 10 mins from Ancaster and it's a *****. Mainly because of parking, which adds another 10 mins of walking, at least. Causes me to skip multiple classes a week purely because of that.
Old 09-28-2010 at 08:02 AM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Bushra's got it pretty well down. It's horrible, especially on Fridays when those same rez kids that got up at 8:15 all go home and make everything super busy.

It also makes it very hard to get involved on campus - waiting around for an 8pm Science Society meeting is basically not an option, especially when you have to get picked up and need to move your school around other people's lives.

Wait until all the assignments, midterms, etc. start piling up in October and November. Nothing too serious has started yet.
Old 09-28-2010 at 08:03 AM   #6
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4008 View Post
I drive about 10 mins from Ancaster and it's a *****. Mainly because of parking, which adds another 10 mins of walking, at least. Causes me to skip multiple classes a week purely because of that.
Sorry buddy, but that just strikes me as a lot of whining. 20 minutes? That's nothing.

Entropy likes this.
Old 09-28-2010 at 09:16 AM   #7
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by recos View Post
lol, i know this question might be a little 'late' to ask, but i was just curious as to how many people commute to mac everyday? and do you feel that it's 'hard' to do so?

i commute to mac from Mississauga everyday, and although some of my buddies tell me it's 'hard'...i hardly see what's hard about it...i mean, it would be nice to live near mac, but i don't think i'd actually mind commuting for the next 4+ years or so...i mean, maybe my mind might change after commuting during the winter lol.

so, is there anyone commuting? specifically from misssissauga? i'd love to have a bus buddy i haven't really made much friends yet, and it's kinda sad i know =__= but a bus buddy would be awesome
LOL Renee
there are bunch of people from Goetz that commute everyday
Old 09-28-2010 at 09:43 AM   #8
drew4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Sorry buddy, but that just strikes me as a lot of whining. 20 minutes? That's nothing.
Way too much for me, especially just to hear an asian or indian professor I can't understand. Oh the joys of Mac.

britb, xo.monica like this.
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:31 AM   #9
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

There are always going to be people who complain but seriously commuting is not hard. I have been commuting from Brampton to Mac everyday for the last 3 years and it isn’t that bad.

Unfortunately, I don’t use the bus so I can’t be your bus buddy: P haha. Good luck though!
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:50 AM   #10
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I commute about 50 min one way with a bus as well. It's really not a big deal to me. Sure i have to get up at 6 am for an 8:30 class but so what? How many jobs will you have later on that allow you to get up 8 am? An hour commute is very reasonable. I also spend about 30 min walking from my house to the bus each day. And just as long as you dress right in the winter you will be fine! And an extra bonus you save a lot of money by living at home
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:42 AM   #11
recos

Liked: 1 Time

LOL david...never thought i'd find you in a forum
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:59 AM   #12
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew4008 View Post
Way too much for me, especially just to hear an asian or indian professor I can't understand. Oh the joys of Mac.
Gotta love Canada and it's multiculturalism
Old 09-28-2010 at 12:23 PM   #13
adam7takeo

I commuted from Mississauga last year, and am doing the same this year. It sucks having to wake up at 6 and get home at 8. Once you master the art of automatically waking up right as the bus pulls into mac, you catch up on a lot of sleep.
Old 09-28-2010 at 03:23 PM   #14
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I commute from oakville trafalgar (I live in mississauga though) and i dont find it hard whatsoever. I had a car that I drive to the carpool lot and I get there right when the bus pulls in. Plus I read on the bus on my way to mac and back so I actually end up doing more work than I didnt first year when I was living in rez.
Old 09-28-2010 at 03:42 PM   #15
drew4008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
Gotta love Canada and it's multiculturalism
haha yup, isn't it glorious?