MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone Commuting to Mac? recos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 33 09-30-2010 11:26 PM
Anyone commuting from Brampton ????? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-06-2010 07:49 PM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM
Anyone commuting from Milton? Alchemist11 General Discussion 10 08-18-2009 03:32 PM
Commuting from Brampton jindal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-14-2008 07:35 PM

Commuting first year?

Old 07-05-2010 at 09:19 PM   #1
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Commuting first year?
I'll be attending McMaster in the fall and I'm going to be commuting to and from school everyday. Unfortunately I don't have the money to live there. I was wondering if I could get some tips and advice on how to make lots of friends and get involved since I won't be living in residence.

Thanks,

Heather
Old 07-05-2010 at 09:29 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Where are you commuting from?
I commuted my first year and it's all about introducing yourself to people and getting to know them outside a classroom setting. If they're on res, you might find yourself hanging out in their rooms a fair bit which is even better cause you get to meet even more people that way.
I suggest you take SOCS very seriously as they take connecting people very seriously too Your WW reps are extremely helpful and just caring and outgoing; they make sure you feel comfortable. It is a difficult transition esp. when you see lots of people making friends on res but you can make a ton of friends off campus too. I commuted on the GO for first year; made quite a few friends just through mutual bus timings

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Marlowe likes this.
Old 07-05-2010 at 09:46 PM   #3
Maudjee22

Liked: 4 Times

i couldn't agree more with Bushra!!!
i commuted from Mississauga and still was able to meet tons of ppl!!!
most, coincidentally, all off campus friends!! lol.

and as Bushra mentioned, do take SOCS very seriously! they are amazing!!! and it will be where you meet most of your off-campus buddies!!! also, try to get involved in as many clubs as you can!!! also another greattt way to meet ppl!!
other than that, there are tons of students who do commute in first year, so do not feel like you are left out. you're not the only one!!

BEST OF LUCK!!!!

Marlowe likes this.
Old 07-05-2010 at 09:49 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I can't recommend SOCS highly enough as well, most of my closest friends at Mac I met through SOCS, either during Welcome Week as a first year, by hanging out in the SOCS lounge, or by getting involved as a rep.

Make sure you sign up for the peer mentoring program that SOCS runs! If you show up for Welcome Week on the first day you'll be assigned to an upper year SOCS rep who'll send you emails throughout the week and throughout the year, and help you with almost any transition issue you might have (or direct you to people who can) and will even hold get-togethers with the rest of your group and other groups. Even if you can't make it on the first day, just ask any rep and they'll make sure you get paired with a peer mentor.
Old 07-05-2010 at 10:19 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudjee22 View Post
i couldn't agree more with Bushra!!!
i commuted from Mississauga and still was able to meet tons of ppl!!!
most, coincidentally, all off campus friends!! lol.

and as Bushra mentioned, do take SOCS very seriously! they are amazing!!! and it will be where you meet most of your off-campus buddies!!! also, try to get involved in as many clubs as you can!!! also another greattt way to meet ppl!!
other than that, there are tons of students who do commute in first year, so do not feel like you are left out. you're not the only one!!

BEST OF LUCK!!!!
Hi Maudj

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-06-2010 at 06:41 PM   #6
AK05

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer21 View Post
I'll be attending McMaster in the fall and I'm going to be commuting to and from school everyday. Unfortunately I don't have the money to live there. I was wondering if I could get some tips and advice on how to make lots of friends and get involved since I won't be living in residence.

Thanks,

Heather
I am commuting from Brampton and wat abt u ??
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:11 PM   #7
dreamer21

I'm commuting from Burlington, so not far. Thanks for your response, I'll definitely be taking SOCS seriously
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:14 PM   #8
dreamer21

Thanks for the advice and info! I'm all about taking part in Welcome Week to meet people!
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:14 PM   #9
dreamer21

I'm commuting from Burlington.
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:15 PM   #10
dreamer21

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2010 at 09:35 PM   #11
Moson Mo

Liked: 1 Time

Heather, why don't you try to rent a room that near Mac? in that way, it will not be as expensive as residency, and you can learn to be independent.
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:11 PM   #12
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moson Mo View Post
Heather, why don't you try to rent a room that near Mac? in that way, it will not be as expensive as residency, and you can learn to be independent.
It sounds like commuting is the best option for her right now. Besides, Burlington is pretty close. I'm hearing some good stories about commuting so I'm sure that you don't HAVE to live close to campus to get involved and meet lots of new people!
Old 07-06-2010 at 10:26 PM   #13
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Oh Burlington is definitely very very doable in terms of commute time and workload. 20 minutes to the Burlington carpool lot after which maybe a bus or two? Or a drive which still shouldn't be as bad. lus you're close enough to stay a little late and spend some time with people on res

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-07-2010 at 11:22 PM   #14
dreamer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Oh Burlington is definitely very very doable in terms of commute time and workload. 20 minutes to the Burlington carpool lot after which maybe a bus or two? Or a drive which still shouldn't be as bad. lus you're close enough to stay a little late and spend some time with people on res
Thanks for your input! I'm glad to hear that it's doable and won't prevent me from being involved (definitely liking the idea about staying late with friends on res )
Old 07-08-2010 at 09:50 AM   #15
Maudjee22

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Hi Maudj
HI BUSHRA!!!!!