MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
commuting to mcmaster Jobbles Automotive & Transportation 13 09-09-2010 09:43 AM
Commuting first year? dreamer21 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 07-08-2010 09:50 AM
Anyone commuting from Brampton ????? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-06-2010 07:49 PM
Commuting MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-24-2009 08:35 AM
Anyone commuting from Milton? Alchemist11 General Discussion 10 08-18-2009 03:32 PM

Anyone Commuting to Mac?

Old 09-28-2010 at 04:21 PM   #16
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Waking at 6am and getting home by 12am, only to do more work until 3am or later, was not a fun experience. Having to do it for the majority of a term was worse.

Old 09-28-2010 at 05:08 PM   #17
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
How many jobs will you have later on that allow you to get up 8 am?
I'd never take a job that required me to wake up before 8:00.

...I'm joking. Kind of.
Old 09-28-2010 at 06:42 PM   #18
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I commute from the Trafalgar/407 carpool lot, and it's not such a hassle. It does require a bit of planning at times, but a bit of planning to me was worth saving the thousands of extra dollars spent. Read on the bus, listen to music, harass people via text.

To be honest, my only qualm about commuting is not being able to stay too late on campus. I have friends on rez and off campus whom I'd like to visit when the lights go out.

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 09-28-2010 at 07:41 PM   #19
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I used to commute for an hour+ each way for 4 years. I didn't mind it either. The only thing that bothered me was, because of transferring, sometimes it would take over three hours out of my day, just for commuting.

I agree with what another poster said, about not being able to stay on campus late. The bus schedule changes after like 5 or 6pm, so it was a pain to be on campus after that. If I had a class until 5:30pm, my night was pretty much done.

It sounds like I'm complaining but I really didn't mind it too much. I would take the bus over a car any day, because it's so much cheaper!
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:05 PM   #20
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Its not so bad. I lived on residence for two years and then I commuted last year and am commuting again this year.

Residence was a lot more convenient and yeah it was nice to be able to get your lazy ass out of bed at 8:15 for an 8:30 instead of waking up at 5:45 but living at home has some nice perks too.

I just listen to my iPod and sleep on the bus ride and make the best of it.

Most people sleep in the mornings who come on the 47 buses from Brampton/Mississauga so I don't know how useful we'd be as bus buddies, lol. Perhaps in the afternoon when people are a bit more lively you might find someone to chat with.
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:12 PM   #21
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
Gotta love Canada and it's multiculturalism
I just noticed: why is it that the one time you decide to use punctuation, you use it incorrectly? :(

Points for effort, I guess...

mcmastergcdb likes this.
Old 09-28-2010 at 10:54 PM   #22
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
whom I'd like to visit when the lights go out.
That just sounds wrong...
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:59 PM   #23
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
That just sounds wrong...

It's the best time, TRUST me.
Old 09-30-2010 at 10:11 AM   #24
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

I commute from Burlington on the GO train/bus everyday and it's not too bad. I count myself lucky that my commute isn't farther like those who come from Toronto/Mississauga area. I do find the waiting time annoying and I feel I could be using the time I take to commute everyday for something more important such as school work but I just didn't have the money to live on res. I also don't like that it's harder to get involved and spend time with friends that live on campus in the evenings like some of the other posters mentioned.
Old 09-30-2010 at 01:05 PM   #25
AK05

Liked: 0 Times

I am commuting from brampton. Hows tht ?? And trust me I didn't find it hard.. I always take express..
Old 09-30-2010 at 10:10 PM   #26
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

I commute from Mississauga and I honestly don't think it's that bad. A waste of time? Yes. Tiring? Sometimes. Worth the money saved? Maybe. Is it that bad? No.

I take a Streetsville bus to Square One (or sometimes my dad drops me), which takes around 20 minutes. Then there's usually a long-ass line on mornings for the 47 bus (I swear, about 200+ people commute from Sq1 to Mac). And I hate standing in lines, and standing in the bus, and standing in general.

The walking isn't bad. In fact, I enjoy it a lot. I love walking into Mac on mornings, from the GO station to MUSC (although almost everyone does it; not just commuters); that area in front of BSB looks so beautiful with the sunlight filtering through the trees, and for some reason it just raises my spirits for the day.

However, I hate the cold. I hate having to wake up early. And I hate sitting at the window on the bus 'cuz it freezes my elbow and arm and it's so bloody uncomfortable. I can't sleep on the bus - it's not long enough for me to get anything substantial out of it without really falling asleep and therefore missing my stop. Unless you know how to power-nap. I don't...but I heard it really helps. And personally you can't really study effectively (don't even get my started on written assignments) when in the bus. Plus come winter time, every one's coughing and sneezing and scratching weird places.

But remember the benefits. You save a hell lot of money. You're at home, which means food...real food. And in my case...parents who may wake you up if you oversleep.

Oh yea, by the way my pass, which is a Streetsville to Mac GO pass (Streetsville -> Sq1; Sq1 -> Mac) is $183 bucks, which is $21 bucks cheaper than the Sq1 -> Mac GO pass....yea, go figure.

All in all, it's not bad. I'm still getting a feel of it, settling down into first year. You waste a lot of valuable time, and get really tired buy evening. But there are some pros to it too.

*gets coat*

Equinox, sew12 like this.
Old 09-30-2010 at 10:13 PM   #27
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

My only reason for wanting to live on campus/ off campus, instead of commuting is job opporunities in Hamilton, as well as how nice the school is in the evenings.

It sounds lame, but that's part of why I like my evening class so much. Mac at night is awesome.
Old 09-30-2010 at 10:19 PM   #28
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
My only reason for wanting to live on campus/ off campus, instead of commuting is job opporunities in Hamilton, as well as how nice the school is in the evenings.

It sounds lame, but that's part of why I like my evening class so much. Mac at night is awesome.
YES!!!! I had a Math test on Tuesday, so I had to stay at Mac until around 7pm. It was awesome!!! I can't believe how beautiful Mac is at night. It's so awesome. There's barely anyone out, but it doesn't feel lonely. It's a relaxing atmosphere, and the sunset it so beautiful (among the trees...again in front of BSB).

I wish I could stay on res/around campus just to stay for the evenings lol.
Old 09-30-2010 at 10:27 PM   #29
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
YES!!!! I had a Math test on Tuesday, so I had to stay at Mac until around 7pm. It was awesome!!! I can't believe how beautiful Mac is at night. It's so awesome. There's barely anyone out, but it doesn't feel lonely. It's a relaxing atmosphere, and the sunset it so beautiful (among the trees...again in front of BSB).

I wish I could stay on res/around campus just to stay for the evenings lol.
Get a tent. Make a bonfire.
Old 09-30-2010 at 10:47 PM   #30
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
Get a tent. Make a bonfire.
ahah I just laughed out loud.(I really did)