MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Earth and Environmental science questions (URGENT) switching to life science!! leena.a Academics 4 07-28-2013 01:46 AM
Earth Science/Environmental Science Electives alee90 Academics 3 12-03-2011 06:49 PM
Environmental science Reda General Discussion 6 04-14-2011 10:22 PM
Anyone in environmental science Reda General Discussion 14 01-13-2011 10:06 PM
Environmental Science kuruczpa Academics 1 09-10-2010 08:35 PM

Anyone in environmental science?

Old 02-12-2016 at 07:04 PM   #1
mati555

Liked: 0 Times

Anyone in environmental science?
I was thinking of going into environmental science but I am really unsure. I have a few questions if anyone wants to answer them it would be great !
Why did you choose environmental science?
Whats your favourite thing about environmental science?
Whats your least favourite?
Any advice to anyone planning on doing environmental science?
Are there any jobs you can get straight out of 4 years? If so then what?
And if you want to share, what was your entering average into the program ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 02-12-2016 at 08:08 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

I thought you were going to Engineering school. What happened? Failed your math class?
Old 02-13-2016 at 08:16 PM   #3
mati555

Liked: 0 Times

no I never in my life wanted to go into engineering
Old 02-15-2016 at 02:44 PM   #4
Ajunta Pall

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I'm in the Geo and Enviro Sci program but honestly in the School and Geography and Earth Sciences Department, it's all basically the same unless you wanted to get the B.A. in Geography for example.

Now to just to make this clear when you enter the first year Enviro Sci program you have a choice between 4 streams you could take within our department. However since you'll be taking a variety of courses in first year, you can always switch into BioChem for example if you have the right courses. Anyway...

Why did you choose environmental science?

Well that's a good one. A lot people say it's because we're Life Sci rejects :p. But really it's because I've always been interested in maps and stuff and the environment. And actually I only really took 2 geography courses in high school and going into the program I wanted to major in something chemistry related like GeoChemistry. But as time went along I realized that the geography portion is more than just memorizing capitals and shit.

Whats your favourite thing about environmental science?

The fact that there's no feeling of competitiveness within my program. But I've heard that within the Geology stream of the department, there might be some competition since everyone wants to get their APGO (Association of Professional Geoscientists of Ontario) certification. For example, there might be very few jobs with a degree in law for example, and the only way you can stand out of the crowd is to get REALLY good marks once you graduate or go for your masters. This doesn't really happen here since our program is so small and you don't feel the need to go to grad school to get a job in something related to your degree. Basically, it's not as stressful as some of those big programs like Bio or Psychology for example.

Whats your least favourite?

I guess it's not really about the program itself but more about what your degree means. Sometimes I'm really embarrassed to say that I'm studying the environment :p. Because the words ''Environmental Science'' or ''Earth Sciences'' don't spark the same interest or pizzaz as the words ''BioChem'' or ''Engineering''. Cause let's face it when you're in high school, a big problem that people have is going into a program just because it sounds ''cool'' and ''smart'' (i.e. anything with the word Bio- in it). It's because of this view that people might actually think less of you because of your degree. But I'M NOT talking about the job market or anything, it's more like a casually converstion with your uncle whos a doctor or talking with your old friends from high school :p.

Any advice to anyone planning on doing environmental science?

Don't let people tell you: ''You would get so much more with a degree in Engineering or Health Sciences.'' It can be argued that those degrees are worth more because of the entering salaries for example. BUT the competition sometimes is too much to handle and people don't realize that if there are too many Biology degrees out there (for example, sorry my bio friends :p) the value of that degree decreases since there are so many people. So if you're planning to do Enviro Sci, do your research instead of listening to your parents advice.

Are there any jobs you can get straight out of 4 years? If so then what?

My Hydrogeology prof said that there were two people who where hired as hydro geologists (ground water technicians) straight outta graduation just because they took that hydro-geo course. There are plenty of jobs out there you can get straight out of graduation but a lot of the environmental stuff (without a master's) relates to assistant jobs with hydrologists or meteorologists for example. A big bonus is if you're in the geology stream, your APGO certification can help you get a job without a master's. But like you don't get the certification outta graduation you need some job experience. But if you say on your résumé ''working towards APGO certification'', you could get a job outta graduation working as an assistant for a groundwater extraction for example. Remember: 30% of Canadians drink groundwater. If it's a resource there will be jobs.
Sorry that's actually a tough question :p

And if you want to share, what was your entering average into the program ?

I don't like to share my grades but I will say that my average was high enough in order to enter Life Sci back when the entering grade for Life Sci was 88%. #WeAreNotLifeSciRejec ts.

Last advice: do what you want to do. Don't just go into a program because it sounds cool or because your parents suggested it.

Last edited by Ajunta Pall : 02-16-2016 at 10:12 AM.

mati555 says thanks to Ajunta Pall for this post.

bobsingh, mati555, VitaSoy like this.