MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXCHANGE: The Experience MacAbroad MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-16-2010 03:34 PM
Exchange Average? emillar Academics 3 03-07-2010 12:53 AM
Winter Exchange! wongywj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-12-2009 11:51 AM
Mac Exchange? tigerize8 General Discussion 11 07-10-2009 01:10 AM
Student Exchange lisforlaura Academics 38 06-29-2009 10:56 PM

Anyone gone on exchange before?

Old 12-03-2010 at 08:35 PM   #1
SC04

Liked: 4 Times

Anyone gone on exchange before?
I was just wondering if anyone has ever gone on an exchange from McMaster to another university. What'd yyou think of it? Did you live on or off campus there? Meet lots of people?

I'm just trying to get a sense of what it's like, because I feel it might be something I'd want to do. I've done a fair bit of research on some schools already. I only speak english fluently, but if anyone went to a school in a country with another official language, but where the university still offered courses in english, how much of a barrier was the general language difference?
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:43 PM   #2
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

I'm hoping that those who have answer this as fast as possible. Humanities offers exchanges in their third year, and I'd like to know how people found their experiences to be.
Old 12-03-2010 at 08:48 PM   #3
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

No, but I noticed that your "liked" counter says Liked: Liked 2 times, while everyone else's only says Liked: #.

Old 12-03-2010 at 10:48 PM   #4
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
No, but I noticed that your "liked" counter says Liked: Liked 2 times, while everyone else's only says Liked: #.
lol wtf?
/12char
Old 12-03-2010 at 11:14 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
How on earth did you notice that :S. But on topic, I don't know anyone who's gone on an exchange, but the OISA website has a ton of resources, and maybe someone there has gone on an exchange and can give you more information! I know a couple of people came to lectures to hand out pamphlets! http://oisa.mcmaster.ca/WSAguide/goingabroad.cfm
Old 12-03-2010 at 11:25 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Check out this article series: http://talentegg.ca/launch/tag/tripping-through-the-eu/

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-04-2010 at 06:58 AM   #7
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I'm actually on exchange at the moment. It's great, if you get a chance to do it then I would say do it.

About the courses, here in Grenoble, they offer some course in french and in english. I am fluent in french so I was able to take courses in french or english. I ma at the technical school here so it might be different at the different kinds of schools. There is a large exchange program within Europe so I would think that there would be a lot of options for the language of the course (mostly english I would think though). Most of the students that I have met who are on exchange all speak english and so take all their courses in english.

I'm living on campus but I'm in a one person apartment so I don't get to meet many people. The other people who are on exchange here live in a residence that is off campus traditional residence and for exchange students so they have been able to meet more people. You can still meet people in your classes though.

Again I would definitely recommend going on exchange for anyone that wants to learn more about the world, culturally and educationally.

There are very different school systems depending on where you go on exchange.

SC04 says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.