MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Nov 01 : Lab of the Dead Chad Daily Game 0 11-01-2011 04:12 AM
Our Glorious Dead. burforbt Politics 2 11-02-2010 10:02 PM
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Left 4 Dead 2 anyone? Kendoon Gaming 29 10-17-2010 02:24 AM

Anyone have a dead HP laptop?

Old 08-02-2012 at 06:05 PM   #16
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

I have an HP Pavilion dv6-3034ca and it also overheats a lot (but I haven't had any video issues). Does it have the same defect as the laptops that you mentioned?

Also, my laptop's 2 years old and I haven't ever cleaned out the fan so it could be due to that too.
Old 08-02-2012 at 08:36 PM   #17
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
This has been such an old problem but HP does nothing to fix it.
:O Seriously? Those guys need to pull up their socks and get working!

But, it might just be my laptop's age 5 years.... Is that a long time?
Old 08-03-2012 at 01:08 AM   #18
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuks0251 View Post
Any idea what I can do then?
It may actually be a 'feature' and not a problem with the machine. You can usually disable it if you want to.

If you can bring up the BIOS menu, there is usually a setting to leave the fan always on max speed, or to have the computer control its speed when needed. A lot of laptops are by default set to 'always on' for some reason. The computer is usually pretty good about knowing when to bring it up.

If you don't know how to get into the BIOS menu, right when you start up your computer - for a second you usually see something like "Press F8 for setup..." or "Press DEL for setup...". When you do that, you'll come to a menu you have to get around using arrow-keys. Typically under the power management menu, they'll have the fan control settings. Change them there, save and restart.
Old 08-03-2012 at 01:11 AM   #19
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuks0251 View Post
But, it might just be my laptop's age 5 years.... Is that a long time?
I like to think a good laptop should only be discarded for being obsolete, and never because it just broke down (well, within ~10 years).

I still have an iBook from 2003 that looks and runs just as well as the day I got it... too bad it sucks too much to still be useful by today's standards :p.
Old 08-03-2012 at 02:17 AM   #20
maryam17

Liked: 2 Times

I have one, used it in first year. Its literally in my closet just dead. Do you want it? You could fix it and try to resell it?
Old 08-03-2012 at 02:53 AM   #21
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryam17 View Post
I have one, used it in first year. Its literally in my closet just dead. Do you want it? You could fix it and try to resell it?
Sure I could try. You don't want it back if it works though?
Old 08-03-2012 at 07:59 AM   #22
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
If you don't know how to get into the BIOS menu, right when you start up your computer - for a second you usually see something like "Press F8 for setup..." or "Press DEL for setup...". When you do that, you'll come to a menu you have to get around using arrow-keys. Typically under the power management menu, they'll have the fan control settings. Change them there, save and restart.
Will do the next time I turn on my computer
Old 08-03-2012 at 08:10 AM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I have a dv6000 series laptop and it's been fine for 4 years
Old 08-03-2012 at 02:45 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I have a dv6000 series laptop and it's been fine for 4 years
Nice try undercover HP public relations person...

But seriously, there are a ton of variations on the dv6000. You probably have one of the more expensive models that doesn't run as hot, or you just generally took better care of it than most people (i.e never ran it while sitting it on a bed).
Old 08-03-2012 at 04:08 PM   #25
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I have a dv2000 that seems like its on its last legs. I've been resorting to placing it on top of ice-packs after it's been on for a couple hours to keep it from overheating and crashing. This thread is relevant to my interests...

I've also got these damned coloured vertical lines on my screen (a green one, a blue one, a red one) that occasionally disappear when I change how open/closed the laptop is. I assume it's some sort of loose connection, any chance you know what's up with that?
Old 08-03-2012 at 08:52 PM   #26
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Have I been snubbed? :S
Old 08-04-2012 at 12:17 AM   #27
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
I have an HP Pavilion dv6-3034ca and it also overheats a lot (but I haven't had any video issues). Does it have the same defect as the laptops that you mentioned?

Also, my laptop's 2 years old and I haven't ever cleaned out the fan so it could be due to that too.
Sorry, forgot to answer you. Yes, the dv6 series from what I can see suffers from the same issue, but I guess it just less frequently leads to video failure.

People have reported successfully reducing temperatures by installing a copper plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
I have a dv2000 that seems like its on its last legs. I've been resorting to placing it on top of ice-packs after it's been on for a couple hours to keep it from overheating and crashing. This thread is relevant to my interests...

I've also got these damned coloured vertical lines on my screen (a green one, a blue one, a red one) that occasionally disappear when I change how open/closed the laptop is. I assume it's some sort of loose connection, any chance you know what's up with that?
Haha, a friend of mine with a dv2000 pretty much does the same thing. He doesn't go as far as suspending it on ice packs, but he does have to "let it cool off" or else his video occasionally fails. I'm planning on fixing his soon.

As to the vertical lines, I had the same issue several years ago on my dad's powerbook G3. His occurred due to the cable connecting the monitor to the motherboard becoming frayed after years of opening and clothing. Unfortunately this isn't usually repairable without replacing the entire monitor since the other end of the cable is directly soldered on to it.

On the other hand though, it could just be a loose connection. Another friend of mine had that issue with his Gateway piece of crap laptop where the back-light wouldn't turn on. Opening it up and simply pushing down the monitor connector back down seemed to fix it.
Old 08-04-2012 at 09:10 AM   #28
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

So Dillon...so far you have around 2 points in my "Book with points that people have in my book" book, the other being due to the timetable generator. If you care, that's more than anybody else.
Old 08-07-2012 at 04:06 PM   #29
MacDaddy

Liked: 5 Times

Had this POS laptop, won't go back to HP.
Old 08-07-2012 at 06:03 PM   #30
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

I've seen youtube vids where they added in more copper plates (i think) to the g60vx cause its way too hot cause they sealed off an air vent wtf? Could you do that?