MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will This Mark/Course still count?! !! VivenK15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 12-01-2010 02:03 AM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM
Mark Check syan9184 Academics 18 12-25-2009 12:41 PM
Calculating Course Mark rossignol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 12-12-2009 05:47 PM

Anyone have a mark bumped?

Old 12-14-2010 at 12:30 AM   #1
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Anyone have a mark bumped?
So I have all my marks for one class, and I got 79.14% in that class... I'm happy but at the same time a little disapointed that I couldn't just get a 80!

Has anyone had any luck with contacting a prof/TA about having a mark bumped to help their average?
Old 12-14-2010 at 12:46 AM   #2
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Grades are posted already? Holy cow.
Old 12-14-2010
jajas
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-14-2010 at 01:22 AM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
Listen what the hell do you expect su_ck it up. This is not high school you get what you deserve nothing more. You don't go moan and bit_ch to profs to bump up your mark just because it would help your average. So with the same idiotic concept if you are getting a 99% you would go to a prof to bump it to a 100%. pfff

If you were on the verge of failing than yes talk to the prof and see what he/she can do, and that is if you attended classes and did work. because if you did jack sh_it you deserve to fail anyways.

THIS IS LIFE GROW UP.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 12-14-2010 at 01:25 AM   #4
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

woah relax man

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 12-14-2010 at 01:37 AM   #5
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
So I have all my marks for one class, and I got 79.14% in that class... I'm happy but at the same time a little disapointed that I couldn't just get a 80!

Has anyone had any luck with contacting a prof/TA about having a mark bumped to help their average?
How do you know your final grade? The registrar releases final grades and I've never seen them release the actual percentage unless you specifically ask for it.

Old 12-14-2010 at 01:44 AM   #6
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Listen what the hell do you expect su_ck it up. This is not high school you get what you deserve nothing more. You don't go moan and bit_ch to profs to bump up your mark just because it would help your average. So with the same idiotic concept if you are getting a 99% you would go to a prof to bump it to a 100%. pfff

If you were on the verge of failing than yes talk to the prof and see what he/she can do, and that is if you attended classes and did work. because if you did jack sh_it you deserve to fail anyways.

THIS IS LIFE GROW UP.
That was a little too much, just sayin'

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 12-14-2010 at 02:33 AM   #7
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:

THIS IS LIFE GROW UP.
Someone's clearly hatin' don't be mad I'm getting good grades. It was an honest question because its less than one percent that can give me a 10 in that course. I'd settle with a 9 regardless, not like I'm failing anything and an extra point would make THAT big of a difference. I just think Mac's grading system is stupid and its ridiculous that 0.84% can change your grade.

It's also quite different from getting 99% and asking for 100%... You should know this because you're in 3rd year... 99% = a 12 just like 100% is a 12... 79% is an 9 and 80 is a 10

To the others, this course did not have an exam, so all the grades were posted and I calculated my mark by adding each individual grade. I usually do this throughout the year to know where I'm at in all my courses.

Last edited by shes-a-diva* : 12-14-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-14-2010 at 02:41 AM   #8
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 12-14-2010 at 02:44 AM   #9
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:

THIS IS LIFE GROW UP.
Dont sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel
Old 12-14-2010 at 04:34 AM   #10
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I had a mark bumped up once but it was in a really small class where I knew the teacher quite well so she didn't mind since she knew that I deserved the mark (it was only about 0.3% bump). So you could try going to talk to the professor, I wouldn't expect anything unless your professor knows who you are and knows off hand that you've been going to class and doing the work and deserve the bump.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 12-14-2010 at 06:58 AM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

I find it absolutely ridiculous that marks also don't round up, instead they're truncated.

It's like Mac does its absolute hardest to **** you over when it comes to marks. Seriously, a 79.8% is a 9? Which is a goddamn 3.3 on the 4.0 scale, while an 80.0 is a 3.7. COME ON. That's just mean. And no, profs don't always automatically give you the higher mark.

I've lost out on 12s and 11s by one mark in the entire course, and 9/10 times the prof won't bump it up.

And it's kind of hard to get it bumped up "only if the prof knows you" when you take classes with 600 students.

So my advice is to ask, because it can't hurt, explain your situation, and he/she likely won't but there's always the chance that they will bump you up so you might as well try.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

Mahratta likes this.
Old 12-14-2010 at 07:37 AM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Personally, I wouldn't care. Maybe if I did the calculations and ended up missing out on a scholarship or something, but otherwise, meh.
Old 12-14-2010 at 11:12 AM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Some profs might bump marks for legit reasons (you're applying to grad school this year, you missed that one tutorial because you were in a car accident and here's proof, you're on the verge of failing and the prof knows you tried your best, etc.) But to say "Can you bump my mark to an 80 because I wish I did better?" probably isn't going to get you anything. Doesn't hurt to try though, I guess.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.
Old 12-14-2010 at 11:22 AM   #14
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
Someone's clearly hatin' don't be mad I'm getting good grades. It was an honest question because its less than one percent that can give me a 10 in that course. I'd settle with a 9 regardless, not like I'm failing anything and an extra point would make THAT big of a difference. I just think Mac's grading system is stupid and its ridiculous that 0.84% can change your grade.

It's also quite different from getting 99% and asking for 100%... You should know this because you're in 3rd year... 99% = a 12 just like 100% is a 12... 79% is an 9 and 80 is a 10

To the others, this course did not have an exam, so all the grades were posted and I calculated my mark by adding each individual grade. I usually do this throughout the year to know where I'm at in all my courses.
lol me hatin' ?? lmao I couldn't care less about your grades. I'm just saying you are trying to make a point where you clearly don't have any reason to do so. "Oh I want an 80 because it would look better on the transcript". lool

Read the Kathy2's post those are the only valid reasons why you would ask to get your mark bumped.