MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will This Mark/Course still count?! !! VivenK15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 12-01-2010 02:03 AM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM
Mark Check syan9184 Academics 18 12-25-2009 12:41 PM
Calculating Course Mark rossignol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 12-12-2009 05:47 PM

Anyone have a mark bumped?

Old 12-14-2010 at 11:25 AM   #16
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I remember back in my first year, my prof was talking about this one student who came to him after 2 years IIRC after finishing his class and asking him to adjust his mark because he found something marked wrong on his test. He had evidence of it and I think in the end he actually adjusted it. Maybe go through assignments/tests and find something that can mark you up.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 12-14-2010 at 06:34 PM   #17
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I find it absolutely ridiculous that marks also don't round up, instead they're truncated.

It's like Mac does its absolute hardest to **** you over when it comes to marks. Seriously, a 79.8% is a 9? Which is a goddamn 3.3 on the 4.0 scale, while an 80.0 is a 3.7. COME ON. That's just mean. And no, profs don't always automatically give you the higher mark.

I've lost out on 12s and 11s by one mark in the entire course, and 9/10 times the prof won't bump it up.

And it's kind of hard to get it bumped up "only if the prof knows you" when you take classes with 600 students.

So my advice is to ask, because it can't hurt, explain your situation, and he/she likely won't but there's always the chance that they will bump you up so you might as well try.
Agree! About half of my courses last year were within about 1% of a new bracket - I went back and calculated. I emailed everyone to double check all the stuff added correctly, only got replies from like two classes.
Old 12-14-2010 at 11:14 PM   #18
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Ive had my mark bumped up once. Never go to the prof and tell them to bump your mark up for no reason, instead take a assignment or a test, which was marked subjectively and argue for a higher mark. The prof will understand that the only reason your arguing is because your mark is so close to a 10, and they might just give you the mark.

Try it, it might just work. You have nothing to lose.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to sycoman for this post.
Old 12-15-2010 at 12:57 AM   #19
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
Ive had my mark bumped up once. Never go to the prof and tell them to bump your mark up for no reason, instead take a assignment or a test, which was marked subjectively and argue for a higher mark. The prof will understand that the only reason your arguing is because your mark is so close to a 10, and they might just give you the mark.

Try it, it might just work. You have nothing to lose.
The only problem with this is they can mark it up just as much as they can mark it down.

I've heard two different profs say that when people ask for something to be remarked the mark can either increase or decrease.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 12-15-2010 at 01:54 AM   #20
collinbf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
I've heard two different profs say that when people ask for something to be remarked the mark can either increase or decrease.
I had a prof who said that as well. Remember, when they usually mark essays or tests they're doing stacks at a time and have to divide up their time. If they mark your essay on their own, they're going to be more critical.

Also how do you know the prof hasn't bumped your mark already, if you did the calculation yourself?
Old 12-15-2010 at 02:01 AM   #21
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I still thinks its worth the risk. Think about it, if some one has a 79.2 lets say, for the professor to bring them down another grade level, the prof has take enough marks for the person to go down more than 2.2 percent of the entire course.

Also, im in third year now and have had dozens of things remarked and have never gone down. They just say it to scare you. Keep in mind that a 9 is a 3.3 on the 4 scale whereas 10 is a 3.7, thats a huuuuge difference.

shes-a-diva* says thanks to sycoman for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 12-15-2010 at 09:00 AM   #22
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

I do think knowing your prof helps; I know it seems unlikely that in a sea of 500 students, the prof is going to know who you are, but if you take the time to visit him/her once or twice a semester they're more likely to remember you, and believe it or not, that helps. I've had my grade raised by my TAs (for essays and assignments) several times becasue the TAs are hapy that I've taken the time to go in and see them instead of just emailing them. And also, it DOES happen when profs will lower your mark, becasue as it was said before, they judge your essay more critically by itself. One of m profs dropped my friend's grade by 2%. :(