MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Textbooks p_vun General Discussion 5 09-10-2009 05:14 PM
Textbooks goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-07-2009 09:51 PM
Want $150 to help pay for textbooks? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 49 03-22-2009 09:32 PM
Why did I even buy some of these textbooks... Ownaginatios Academics 14 12-08-2008 06:53 PM
Textbooks kayleech Academics 16 09-01-2007 04:45 PM

Anyone NOT buy textbooks?

Old 06-25-2011 at 01:20 PM   #1
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Anyone NOT buy textbooks?
For the most part, i don't. First semester (was a noob), and spent about ~500 on brand new textbooks and courseware. Second semester, I only bought 1 textbook. I have an excellent GPA, too.

Anyone else like this? All the material I seem to be tested on, come from lectures.

Old 06-25-2011 at 01:24 PM   #2
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

Yeah, I did the same thing first semester of first year. But you're right, the majority of textbooks have little use and I always regret getting the ones that I do get. There are courses here and there where texts are a must (humanities students probably need more of their texts), but a lot of the time I find that they don't really come in handy if I have access to lecture notes.
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:25 PM   #3
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you can find the book as a PDF online, it's a great alternative.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:27 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I almost never bought textbooks. I only bought the ones that were absolutely necessary (like French, where we had homework three times a week). For classes like History, Political Science, Philosophy, Geography, etc., I rarely bought books. I had a third year English class with 6 books, and I only bought one.
Similar to OP, I was screwed over in first year and spent $700+ on textbooks for ONE term. I wasn't going to do that ever again So many books are available in the library, or online, or Hamilton libraries.
Old 06-25-2011 at 01:35 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I buy most of my books, I find myself not wanting to go to class a lot of the times for various reasons so I always end up learning from the books.

...?!, Eternal Fire like this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 02:52 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Depends on your faculty
Old 06-25-2011 at 03:44 PM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I find them helpful to have on hand depending on how the prof lectures.
For certain things, like Orgo, no. For certain Biology courses where we work from the text verbatim (despite contradictory claims), I treasure my textbooks like gold.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Purple2309 likes this.
Old 06-25-2011 at 04:22 PM   #8
marcie

Liked: 119 Times

Depends on the course. This past year I didn't buy the textbooks for Stats 2B03 or Biochem 2EE3 and still did fine... but on the other hand I don't think I would've survived without my orgo and physics texts.

If I absolutely have to buy the book, I'll get it used via fb groups or MI's Marketplace

Old 06-25-2011 at 04:52 PM   #9
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I find them helpful to have on hand depending on how the prof lectures.
For certain things, like Orgo, no. For certain Biology courses where we work from the text verbatim (despite contradictory claims), I treasure my textbooks like gold.
Do you mind listing some of those courses, Bushra? (2nd year, in particular, and whether or not 2B03 or 2C03 are, would be most helpful to me - everything else is for everyone else)
Old 06-25-2011 at 05:06 PM   #10
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Some of us have no choice if a large number of our courses use CCW
Old 06-25-2011 at 06:38 PM   #11
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Yup; textbook for Organic Chem 2OA3 and 2OB3 is unnecessary. You're much better studying off the tutorials and doing tons and tons of practice. It's said a lot but that's because it's true.

I didn't take 2C03 (yet) so I may purchase the textbook for that. For 2B03, it was helpful to have on hand if you didn't go to lecture but there is a PDF out there that's relatively easy to find.
If you take Bio 2A03...buy it, buy it, buy it and only keep in mind what your profs tell you they teach differently from the text.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

justinsftw, Purple2309 all say thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 06-25-2011 at 06:40 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

For bio 2c03, it's really up to you. I found it was a pretty good resource, and they referred to it sometimes. I would really buy a used version for like $50 or whatever it is, it's not too expensive and you definitely don't need a brand new one.

I was happy I bought mine, but then again I'm pretty crappy at biology in general, so you might be able to get away with not buying one for that course.

EDIT:

Also, since
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHopeful View Post
For the most part, i don't. First semester (was a noob), and spent about ~500 on brand new textbooks and courseware. Second semester, I only bought 1 textbook. I have an excellent GPA, too.

Anyone else like this? All the material I seem to be tested on, come from lectures.

it seems like you're so keen on sharing that information, mind telling us what it is?
Old 06-25-2011 at 06:53 PM   #13
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

I don't think I would buy textbooks for technical courses (math, accounting, finance... etc). I think there is a reason professors choose to do certain examples in class, and omit others.
Old 06-25-2011 at 07:04 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

First year I bought most of the textbooks and quickly realised how big of a mistake that was. So note to first years: Wait a week or two and ask upper years what books you REALLY need. Don't bother buying books before school starts. Do some research first!

Second year I asked around/checked online for .pdf and saved a TON of money. Third year I bought maybe two books and I think I may even end up keeping them after I graduate since they are really useful!
Old 06-25-2011 at 11:49 PM   #15
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

definitely depends on faculty. my 1st year anthro classes, the textbooks were invaluable and the profs tended to use examples from them and test on those examples. i refuse to sell them because of the extensive glossaries, charts, etc that they have.