MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple gains temporary ban in US against Samsung Nexuses Leeoku Computers & Tech 8 07-01-2012 06:38 AM
Year off/Victory lap?? Ziggi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-23-2010 02:01 PM

Apple landslide victory over Samsung

Old 08-24-2012 at 06:28 PM   #1
tallison

Liked: 1 Time

Apple landslide victory over Samsung
Can't even believe the verdict was so one sided. Samsung was destroyed by the jury, right down to the patent law

http://live.cnet.com/Event/Apple_vs_Samsung_verd ict

Desda likes this.
Old 08-24-2012 at 08:03 PM   #2
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

This is truly ridiculous. I'm going to start patenting things I didn't invent.

In truth, I agree that Samsung infringed on some of the patents, like the bounce-back feature and the icons. However, I don't think people who purchased a Samsung phone bought it because of these features.

I'm sure Samsung will appeal the decision to reduce the damages. At the end of the day, there's no way someone is dumb enough to purchase a Samsung phone when they are looking for an Apple iPhone, when the Samsung logo is front and center on the phone.

P.S. $1 billion dollars is peanuts for both of these companies.
Old 08-24-2012 at 08:10 PM   #3
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Tomorrow I'm patenting a box powered by quantum processor with holographic screens on each side of the cube capable of creating a 3D object around the cube. It will have gesture and thought control recognition, and a built in GPS....

Apple got nothing on me.

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 08-24-2012 at 08:35 PM   #4
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Patent trolling at its finest. Describe generic software functions in different ways and claim it to be unique and something that you can sue over.

Intellectual Ventures will be all over this.

Old 08-24-2012 at 08:40 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Random off topic. I finally met some1 who kept thinking apple was the best. His reasoning was the app service was superior. Man he was such a snob

On topic: so what devices does this affect

faithcry likes this.
Old 08-24-2012 at 08:44 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Apple lobbyists control the patent court systems!

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 08-24-2012 at 10:43 PM   #7
Mac-10

Liked: 17 Times

Apple's biting off more than they can chew. Its basically them vs. everyone else now on the android market. Someone else is gonna do something big and apples gonna get burned.

faithcry likes this.
Old 08-25-2012 at 01:10 AM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I thought Samsung mostly won in S.Korea? Or is this another country case?

/
Old 08-25-2012 at 09:26 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

This story is amazing... Apple able to patent rectangle devices with rounded corners. Sheesh.

"It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies"

Final verdict:
  • Jury found Samsung infringement of Apple utility, design patents for some (though not all) products.
  • Jury found willful infringement on five of six patents.
  • Jury upheld Apple utility, design patents.
  • Jury upheld Apple trade dress '983.
  • Jury found Samsung "diluted" Apple's registered iPhone, iPhone 3, and "Combination iPhone" trade dress on some products, not on others.
  • Jury found no Apple infringement of Samsung utility patents.
  • Jury found Samsung did not violate antitrust law by monopolizing markets related to the UMTS standard.
  • Damages owed by Samsung: $1.05 billion ($1,049,393,540 to be exact)
Old 08-25-2012 at 09:30 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Watch TWIT.tv special breaking news episode to get the full scoop: http://twit.tv/show/twit-live-specials/137

And http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/24/32...-apple-verdict
Old 08-25-2012 at 10:37 AM   #11
LTHL

Liked: 2 Times

This lawsuit happened in a bunch of countries. I believe Apple won that lawsuit because it took place in the United States. In the UK, a judge ordered Apple to run ads that said, "Samsung did not copy Apple".

Android phones need to step up their game! Apple is dominating and they def want to stay around for a long time.
Old 08-25-2012 at 10:58 AM   #12
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

As much as I acknowledge that the entire case is childish, I hate how there are so many people raging on about how Apple won on the sole basis that they hate Apple, or because they're riding the "Apple gun' sue" bandwagon, without actually educating themselves on what the case was about.

Apple's case has nothing to do with prior art, etc, etc. It has to do with Samsung intentionally copying Apple's design decisions, which was proven. Branding pictures, UI and icons, UI elements' dimensions, various decisions on UI behaviour and functionality, dock connectors, and a plague of other things were copied, despite there being a million other ways of execution.

Because we know no one wants to go through the 132-page case document, here's Business Insider's breakdown.

Now that that's over, hopefully the kiddies can go back to doing whatever they do and the tech-blogs can stop playing telltale. I have no fucking idea why this was such big news. Half the people following it just did it because it involved Apple, patents, and some other trendy shit. Of course, there's not going to be any change in the ancient and now-corrupted patent system, so I expect we'll see another one of these soon enough. I'll go get the popcorn.

Andrew A, Kudos, Tailsnake like this.
Old 08-25-2012 at 01:44 PM   #13
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

@LTHL. Apple is not dominating worldwide. It dominates in North America, but not worldwide.

Samsung will now be pushing its products in Asia, which is the largest market (there are more phone users than people in the states). Plus there's Europe, where courts basically showed Apple the finger. What Apple did is basically killed is slowed down competition in its prime market, nothing more.

Hell, even the billion that Samsung losses is nothing compared to their 350 billion assets.

Caitlin_McNe likes this.
Old 08-25-2012 at 04:26 PM   #14
jkling

Liked: 0 Times

wow can't believe it was so lopsided
Old 08-25-2012 at 05:54 PM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

In nearly all other countries this has happened, they were both found at fault, but one was more than the other. Not in the US, where Samsung apparently did everything wrong, and saying Apple did nothing