MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple gains temporary ban in US against Samsung Nexuses Leeoku Computers & Tech 8 07-01-2012 06:38 AM
Year off/Victory lap?? Ziggi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-23-2010 02:01 PM

Apple landslide victory over Samsung

Old 08-25-2012 at 06:08 PM   #16
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallison View Post
Can't even believe the verdict was so one sided. Samsung was destroyed by the jury, right down to the patent law

http://live.cnet.com/Event/Apple_vs_Samsung_verd ict

Can't even believe the kid in commerce thinks this is the end of it.
Old 08-27-2012 at 05:20 PM   #17
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

I fell like this is a very fitting ted talk for this case, albiet it doesnt have to do with samsung/apple directly more so with patenting creativity. ... there is a bit about apple in the middle though...

http://www.ted.com/talks/kirby_ferguson_embrac e_the_remix.html
Old 08-27-2012 at 06:23 PM   #18
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
I have no fucking idea why this was such big news. Of course, there's not going to be any change in the ancient and now-corrupted patent system
It's big news because it set a new precedent... Now companies know they can patent shapes and curves, and get away with calling it "intellectual property". In setting a new precedent, it changed how the US patent system will operate in cases like this in the future.

As for this verdict in terms of the country it was handed out in: The U.S. may be small in comparison to the Asian market, but the American market is still where people shell out money long after they have none (pretty ironic statement, right?)... So that's why America was a prime market: Non-existent money keeps flowing in.

America: Where you can constantly make money off of people who have negative amounts of it...

Canada isn't much better either, just to clear that up.
Old 08-27-2012 at 06:26 PM   #19
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
I fell like this is a very fitting ted talk for this case, albiet it doesnt have to do with samsung/apple directly more so with patenting creativity. ... there is a bit about apple in the middle though...

http://www.ted.com/talks/kirby_ferguson_embrac e_the_remix.html
Loved that talk!

I personally dont see how Apple managed to get patents for the bouncy scrollbar or slide to unlock or even pinch to zoom.(not sure if they had this one). Software patents to some extent should not be granted, there are only so many ways one can think of manipulating a touch screen.

However I do see how Apple had the right to be pissed of about what Samsung was doing. Copying is ok to some extent, as long as you make it your own. Making smartphones similar to that of apples is understandable. But they were pushing the envelope when they starting making their chargers, cables and packaging almost identical to the iPhones. The law suit also was about the trade dress, to which Samsung most definitely infringed.

*spark*, David.O like this.
Old 08-27-2012 at 08:13 PM   #20
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
Loved that talk!
If you liked it, check out the full 4-part series on Vimeo. A very well designed, well paced, well delivered, and quite informative series on ideas and innovation. Parts 3 and 4 are relevant today now more than ever, and may be the more engaging ones. But all 4 are worth the watch.

Part 1: The Song Remains the Same (Music)
Part 2: Remix Inc. (Movies)
Part 3: The Elements of Creativity
Part 4: System Failure

I've posted it a couple times on here, but no one bit :(.

Crzyrio likes this.
Old 08-29-2012 at 12:07 AM   #21
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Listed devices it wants banned
http://www.thestar.com/business/scie...t-wants-banned
Old 08-29-2012 at 12:37 AM   #22
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

*Stares intently at shiny new Samsung Galaxy S3*

(Whisper) Stay with me... Just a little bit longer.

Pets his phone*

Watoko likes this.
Old 08-30-2012 at 06:27 PM   #23
macprodigy

Liked: 6 Times

Truth is, one of the people was correct above ^^ Samsung did copy certain features, BUT the fact of the matter is whether they DID or DID NOT purchase the phone because of these features it does not change the fact that a patent was infringed upon. This would be like saying Person A invents the first predictive texting algorithm, patents it, and sells the first phone ever made that has it (obviously everyone is buying his phone for that feature) but then Person B makes another phone, with that same predictive texting feature, but this time adds the first touch screen in a cellular device. Person B could easily say that he did not infringe upon any patent because people bought his phone for the touch screen, he would be wrong because even if this was true, a patent was still used without permission
Old 08-30-2012 at 06:30 PM   #24
macprodigy

Liked: 6 Times

I mean come on I love Samsung and I love Apple but you guys have to admit, Samsung did copy a lot of features from Apple, AND THEY STILL ARE. Like now if you buy a SAMSUNG laptop with Windows 8 installed it has a suspiciously "Apple-looking" Samsung version of the dock that is so famous in Mac OS. Samsung just take it too far sometimes
Old 08-31-2012 at 11:42 AM   #25
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Samsung won the case in Japan.... surprise !
Old 08-31-2012 at 12:05 PM   #26
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

@macprodigy ... i believe that is a windows 8 feature...not unique to the samsung laptop. As such its more of microsoft copying apple.

furthermore yes even though they did copy some of the more distinctive features other things which they are blamed for copying are basic things which not only seem intuitive to anyone to include but have been done and incorporated into other forms of technology well before apply put it into its phones and patented it. In fact if you look back on most of the tech apple and other modern day phone companies have on their devices, its not all that new. ... heck that pinch-to-zoom "innovation" they are so obsessed over has been around for a long time in other devices, I even have that on my laptop as do most others.

I also agree with what was said about ppl not uying the phones for the apps and techs behind them. If i wanted the apple brand, the apple apps, and their features, I would buy an apple IPHONE. An issue over copying imo would only arise if samsung copied was copying apples tech incorporating it into thier own and selling it for a significantly ceaper price. Right now the only phone samsung has that compares with the IPhone is thier Galaxy series which are pretty much the exact same price.

Last edited by Chevalier : 08-31-2012 at 12:11 PM.