MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Proud Hamilton Hunt - Win an iPad! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-16-2010 10:01 AM
Reviews System Launched Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

Apple launched the iPad

Old 01-27-2010 at 01:56 PM   #1
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

Apple launched the iPad
It's here, and it's called the iPad. www.apple.com/ipad/

What do you think? I know I'm getting one, soon.

Quick rundown of what it is:
- 10-inch multi-touch screen
- runs all iPod touch and iPhone apps
- has wifi, with a 3g (cell network data) option coming
- does everything the ipod touch does, just bigger, better, faster
- only weighs 1.5 pounds!
- price starts at $499!!!

Last edited by stevennevets : 01-27-2010 at 02:21 PM.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 02:07 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

It's really neat. I like how it doesn't try to replace my computer (as I would never consider buying an Apple computer). Instead it's a completely different and unique device.

While I will not be getting one anytime soon, it's certainly something I would consider getting, especially since I'm on the job hunt and prospects are good for me right now, I could see this being a purchase I make within a year or two.

It looks like it would be something nice to have to sit on the couch with and just surf the web while watching TV, going through photos with family and friends... a really nice casual device.

Last edited by Taunton : 01-27-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 02:18 PM   #3
stevennevets

i agree. not making just a macbook with a touch screen was a good choice. also,

iBooks - ebook store, and will most likely include textbooks! so cheap, ebook version of your texts on an amazing device.

iWork - full word/spreadsheet/presentation apps, they'll be awesome for doing work on the go.

as you can tell, i'm really excited for this
Old 01-27-2010 at 02:26 PM   #4
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

The 3G version (AKA the version you have to get to make the iPad useful) starts at $629 USD, and goes all the way up to $829 USD, which is pretty damn expensive considering you can get a great laptop for those prices. Also, the 3G data plan pricing has always been ludicrously expensive in Canada, it just isn't worth it in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2010 at 02:30 PM   #5
stevennevets

i dont see the 3g being needed. I have my smartphone for anywhere data, the iPad for me will be mostly used on campus, at home, or in between. I have wifi in the first two, and I don't really need internet anywhere else for this.

but I do also have an iphone, so i dont need the internet everywhere on this device.
Old 01-27-2010 at 02:32 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
The 3G version (AKA the version you have to get to make the iPad useful)
First, let me say I'm not an Apple fan... at all really. Anyone who knows me can attest to that.

Maybe I'm percieving this device a little differently than you, but I don't see it as being something that I would want to take everywhere with me and need internet access. For myself, I see it as a portable entertainment unit - books, movies, casual games, etc... internet not necessarily required. The whole book concept I think is ideal, and is likely to be the new way of doing things, as far as books are concerned.

I see its primary usefulness at home however, and not so much as a portable "take everywhere with you" device. It looks like something you can sit on the couch with a lot more comfortably than your typical laptop computer... in fact, like I said before, it's not even as functional as a computer, and if it were, I would never consider buying it.

Last edited by Taunton : 01-27-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 03:06 PM   #7
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

I mean the device is just a large Ipod Touch. And I don't understand why you would buy this if you're only going to use it at home, if you're going to watch a movie at home, why not just watch it on your TV or laptop? And it's too big to put in your pocket, so you'll have to carry it around which could get awkward since it could easily scratch and break as opposed to a more durable laptop. I can see the books store being useful, but then you'd have to pay for books, and the price of the books will probably only be a little bit less than the physical copy of the books. And the device has a max battery life of 10 hours, that's probably cut down to 3 hours while watching a movie.

The iPad tries to reach a middle ground between an iPhone and a laptop, except it's worse than both, if you have a smartphone and a laptop, this would just be a giant waste of money.

Last edited by Souldier : 01-27-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Old 01-27-2010 at 03:16 PM   #8
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

The only thing I think I like about it is the e-book part, other than that...I think I'd rather stick to my iPod touch.

SciMania likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 03:31 PM   #9
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

its like duck taping two Ipod touch together

BlakeM likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 03:33 PM   #10
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

The real question is, does it provide maximum absorption and comfort? Seriously, iPad is the worst name ever.

Afzal says thanks to Shanel for this post.

Old 01-27-2010 at 03:55 PM   #11
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

^^ LOL

Well, I am a book lover but I don't see myself carrying a 1Kg iPad while the book only weighs around 90g(?) and doesn't need to be recharged
Old 01-27-2010 at 03:57 PM   #12
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
The only thing I think I like about it is the e-book part, other than that...I think I'd rather stick to my iPod touch.
The iBook app will probably come out for iPod touch anyways so there you go. Also, to the person above, it carries ALL your books... There's a difference. But the amazon kindle is probably a better e-reader anyways.

I think the name is ridiculous, what the hell was apple thinking? I can just picture someone with an irish accent trying to say, id like an iPad and receiving an iPod

Anyways, im a bit underwhelmed with the announcement, I was hoping for something better, with a camera, as well as a different OS than the iPhone OS but whatever, its a first version and more will come out soon. Apple updates their main product line at least once a year.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:00 PM   #13
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
^^ LOL

Well, I am a book lover but I don't see myself carrying a 1Kg iPad while the book only weighs around 90g(?) and doesn't need to be recharged
Do your textbooks weigh 90g? Apple has partnered with several large companies to provide students of textbooks compatible with the ipad. If it has abilities to highlight and make notes on the textbooks, and if my textbooks were available for it id definitely purchase one.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:01 PM   #14
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

If you're interested in the book aspect, look into the Amazon Kindle. It's half the price, has a free cell network connection to download new books and periodicals (it even automatically receives periodicals as they are released if you have a subscription), and uses liquid ink technology, which means it is unaffected by sun glare.

Edit: I'm unsure as to the availability of textbooks on the Kindle. But, I am in a program which requires studying Canadian standards, so my books probably wouldn't be available through Apple. I would imagine it will have more books like Chemistry, Physics, etc which are not country specific.
Old 01-27-2010 at 04:02 PM   #15
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
The iBook app will probably come out for iPod touch anyways so there you go. Also, to the person above, it carries ALL your books... There's a difference. But the amazon kindle is probably a better e-reader anyways.

I think the name is ridiculous, what the hell was apple thinking? I can just picture someone with an irish accent trying to say, id like an iPad and receiving an iPod

Anyways, im a bit underwhelmed with the announcement, I was hoping for something better, with a camera, as well as a different OS than the iPhone OS but whatever, its a first version and more will come out soon. Apple updates their main product line at least once a year.
i agree..i cant beleive it doesnt have a camera, when people were calling it a tablet i thought it would come with perhaps a pen that you could use to draw etc etc. and take notes...

i would've liked it to have a camera and the ability to hook up peripherals (mouse, printer) so that it could be a mini computer.

the ipad is crap, i really prefer an ipod/iphone for a fraction of the cost!