MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Proud Hamilton Hunt - Win an iPad! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-16-2010 10:01 AM
Reviews System Launched Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

Apple launched the iPad

Old 01-27-2010 at 07:27 PM   #46
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I'm going to stress this again... you people are looking for computers and this is why you are disappointed. It's not a computer. It's a multimedia device. People are already saying that its main success will be found in the ebook market... that's where they are saying it will be revolutionary.

Only time will tell.
The only problem with that is that the Kindle (and a bunch of other e-book readers) are already doing that at less that half the price and with free Wi-Fi. I just really don't see the niche this is filling. This looks like it'll make as much waves in the market as the PSP Go and Apple TV (yes, apple can **** up too).
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:30 PM   #47
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The only problem with that is that the Kindle (and a bunch of other e-book readers) are already doing that at less that half the price and with free Wi-Fi. I just really don't see the niche this is filling. This looks like it'll make as much waves in the market as the PSP Go and Apple TV (yes, apple can **** up too).
The thing is that apple is offering the same deal to publishers that they offer to other media producers through iTunes - 70% revenue goes to the publishers. This is Apple's main selling point and they will likely have better access to a wider variety of materials than any other single online store/ebook reader.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:32 PM   #48
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
you cant compare the kindle with the ipad. The kindle lacks the processing speed, apps, the ability to take notes(Iwork 09 is looking really impressive), it doesnt have a color screen. Also the kindle is not half the price, the kindle that has a 9.7 inch screen the kindle DX is 489, USD, the ipad with 16gb of memory is 499.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:33 PM   #49
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

So, I have a laptop.
And I may or may not get an iPod touch or phone in the future.

So, what's the point of this exactly? It looks like it's fun and all, but I don't really get the point in the end.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:39 PM   #50
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
So, I have a laptop.
And I may or may not get an iPod touch or phone in the future.

So, what's the point of this exactly? It looks like it's fun and all, but I don't really get the point in the end.
Here's how I see it:

In the future, I will likely own a very powerful desktop computer - for gaming, work, etc.

The iPad would fit in when I don't want to use the computer, but would rather sit on the couch, maybe watch some TV... the iPad would be a great, comfortable way to have the internet close by, maybe surf the web comfortably on the couch or in bed... I won't be owning another actual laptop - it's unnecessary.

My smartphone is for on-the-go email and internet access, the iPad is more for reading and casual gaming, maybe watching a movie on a trip... compare that to watching a movie on an ipod.

Use your imagination... I also feel like most people here find laptop computers to be more useful than I do, which probably makes a difference in how they percieve this product.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:44 PM   #51
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
you cant compare the kindle with the ipad. The kindle lacks the processing speed, apps, the ability to take notes(Iwork 09 is looking really impressive), it doesnt have a color screen. Also the kindle is not half the price, the kindle that has a 9.7 inch screen the kindle DX is 489, USD, the ipad with 16gb of memory is 499.
I go on far too many forums to repeat arguments, I'll just point you to this:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/i...allets-decide/

The iPad looks like it'll be a jack of all trades but a master of none. I'm gonna have to take a look at all the netbooks I ignored during CES while waiting for this now.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:58 PM   #52
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
not true, apple has done silent updates, or called media events, i remember one time they updated the macbooks, to a faster processor speed without any notification and they could call a media event. I expect the macbooks to recieve a processor upgrade by the end of next month to the i3, i5 and hopefully i7 processors.
iPhone 4.0 OS will only be announced at the WWDC... It's huge, they aren't going to silently update something like that. They want the media all over sh*t like that. Apple isn't dumb. They obviously feed into all the leaks and rumours that happened before today just to hype it up so much.
Old 01-27-2010 at 07:59 PM   #53
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Apps are coming to the Kindle now btw.
Old 01-27-2010 at 08:17 PM   #54
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

iPad

Sounds like a feminine hygiene product to be honest...
Old 01-27-2010 at 08:31 PM   #55
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

mark (from titles) was on the national last night talking about it
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:21 PM   #56
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
YUCK, LOL.

Omg, lol. I'm stuck on 1024x768 cause I have to use my TV as a monitor and it's HORRIBLE. ._.

(Some of the stuff is missing from my desktop b/c there's not enough room to show every icon, LOL)
The funny thing is mid-low range SLR cameras have more pixels in their LCD screens (922,000 vs 786,000) and those are only 3inches. Then no phone company has ever put a good screen in a blackberry/iphone/normal phone.
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:39 PM   #57
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

aviaf, BlakeM, J-Met, JeffB, lawleypop like this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:49 PM   #58
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I want one, but for some reason I feel like I'd look like a douchebag if I used it in public.
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:10 PM   #59
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I want one, but for some reason I feel like I'd look like a douchebag if I used it in public.
Actually, you'd probably attract a lot of attention, at least at first.

I remember when the first iPhone owners showed up... people were always asking them to see the phone and try it out.
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:15 PM   #60
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

I would love to try one as well, but as someone who places a lot of emphasis on my use of my laptop, I don't see me buying one until it has a usb port and a damn camera (at least 5 MP), but I understand what Ben is saying, however, in that fantasy future world, I have much more money than I do now.