MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Proud Hamilton Hunt - Win an iPad! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-16-2010 10:01 AM
Reviews System Launched Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

Apple launched the iPad

Old 01-27-2010 at 10:17 PM   #61
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

The one thing I will also say, although I've already said a lot more than one thing.... is that I would get the wifi version.

A lot of reviewers online are like, lol at just wifi, but I think that for anyone at Mac it would be perfect. Wifi pretty much blankets the campus, which some annoying exceptions, and when i go home i also have wifi.

I would love it if like a society or a gorup bought one for in office use, it would be tres cool.
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:26 PM   #62
knox

Liked: 15 Times

Use my tuition money to buy one, hell I'm already paying for a damn solar car.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-27-2010 at 10:34 PM   #63
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Old 01-27-2010 at 10:40 PM   #64
aviaf
Richard Cioci

lol, I think the solar car people need that. I used to help out with that and they need to fundraise a lot even after they get the student money help
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:09 PM   #65
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

just to chime in again...

I love this, it looks incredible, the hands-on reviews i've read say it's amazingly fast. right now, I want one.

that being said, it isn't for everyone. looking at my tech use, a more portable, less powerful laptop is perfect for me. for others, not so much.

also, it won't be out for 2 months. I would suggest we hold off on too vigorous support or condemnation, since we don't know if it's good. i think it will be, but until I get one in my hands and use it, I don't know.

either way, it would be fun to see the looks i'd get taking notes in class on one
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:28 PM   #66
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
just to chime in again...

I love this, it looks incredible, the hands-on reviews i've read say it's amazingly fast. right now, I want one.

that being said, it isn't for everyone. looking at my tech use, a more portable, less powerful laptop is perfect for me. for others, not so much.

also, it won't be out for 2 months. I would suggest we hold off on too vigorous support or condemnation, since we don't know if it's good. i think it will be, but until I get one in my hands and use it, I don't know.

either way, it would be fun to see the looks i'd get taking notes in class on one
I will give it that it does what it does well, it just doesn't do enough
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:58 PM   #67
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
The funny thing is mid-low range SLR cameras have more pixels in their LCD screens (922,000 vs 786,000) and those are only 3inches. Then no phone company has ever put a good screen in a blackberry/iphone/normal phone.
Yeah, but people still pay at least 500+ for an SLR. Those who use SLRs NEED that resolution for maximum judgment of their photo output.
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:58 PM   #68
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

i already have an ipod touch, and don't feel the need to get one with a big screen.
Old 01-28-2010 at 12:09 AM   #69
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

But the thing is on an SLR yes the LCD is important but its not the primary part of the camera. The sensor, autofocus system, and viewfinder all take priority so I can more easily accept cost savings in the LCD.

But with the iPad the screen is essential to its functioning, yet they haven't invested in a screen that is the same quality. It is also magnified by the fact that the screen is larger therefore the pixels are larger and the image is poorer.

I know I am nit picking over details but I always find these type of relationships funny.
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:03 AM   #70
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Rumor has it that Apple will be releasing the iPad nano next month.
Here is a leaked picture:

Old 01-28-2010 at 07:24 AM   #71
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Actually, you'd probably attract a lot of attention, at least at first.

I remember when the first iPhone owners showed up... people were always asking them to see the phone and try it out.
I remember those days. I was one of the first people to have it back in high school.

Now people just asked me "omg did you drop it?" Of course I dropped it, I didn't craack it on purpose. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-28-2010 at 12:30 PM   #72
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I'm still unconvinced how this is revolutionary. Tablets and touchscreen laptops have been around for a while.. this is just a large ipod touch with a bigger screen where you can run apps you pay for in itunes and not freely run whatever you want like on a regular tablet. Plus it doesn't run Adobe Flash still. Why not just get a tablet or netbook with a keyboard?

Afzal, Deegs14, lawleypop like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:25 PM   #73
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Yeah this will appeal to a small market...much like the macbook air does. Although I'm not really upset about the flash thing. If anything, hopefully this pushes websites to use HTML 5 faster. Much like how they used only USB connections in their earlier computers where most PC's have both USB and the older connections phasing out the old much quicker.
I just hope this middle finger to Adobe will push them to FINALLY clean up their code for most of their programs. So inefficient it's astounding. I'm so tired of waiting forever for CS4 programs to boot up. :(
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:29 PM   #74
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Why not just get a tablet or netbook with a keyboard?
Because I don't want another computer? I don't have a need for a laptop or netbook. I would love something that's actually comforable to curl up with on a couch or bed and just surf the net or read a book on. Laptops are NOT comfortable to curl up with on a couch or bed.

Maybe it's because I'm graduating and won't be a student anymore... I don't know what it is... students want portable computers (ie laptops). I think this is why you all don't see how this is useful. It's NOT a computer... not meant to compete with real computers. It's meant to be totally casual, at least in my mind.
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:19 PM   #75
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

i agree. ever tried to hold your laptop on its side to read in bed? doesn't work so well...

i'm looking at this not as a tablet computer, but a digital piece of paper. with movies, music, photos, books, and the internet.