MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chatr LAUNCHED! (New provider) blackdragon Computers & Tech 64 09-05-2010 05:15 AM
Proud Hamilton Hunt - Win an iPad! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-16-2010 10:01 AM
Reviews System Launched Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-16-2008 06:05 PM

Apple launched the iPad

Old 01-28-2010 at 02:29 PM   #76
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
i agree. ever tried to hold your laptop on its side to read in bed? doesn't work so well...

i'm looking at this not as a tablet computer, but a digital piece of paper. with movies, music, photos, books, and the internet.
so basically an ipod touch with a bigger screen
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:45 PM   #77
stevennevets

Liked: 36 Times

exactly! I don't see any problem with that. also with textbooks and a full productivity suite (presentations, spreadsheets, word processing)
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:57 PM   #78
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
so basically an ipod touch with a bigger screen
YEAH! I dunno I think people are getting too upset over this. It isn't meant to be a computer, yet people are evaluating it as if it were. It is meant to be a bigger iPod touch with a few more features. Why is it revolutionary? Because it means Apple will continue to make record profits despite the slumping economy.

sniderj likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 03:38 PM   #79
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Because its not revolutionary lol, its just a glorified ipod touch. But its a first gen, and its running soon to be outdated software. So give it a chance 6 months to a year down the road.
Old 01-28-2010 at 03:44 PM   #80
Ender

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
pfft. iPad...nothing to get excited about. SixthSense on the other hand...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdDhWfpqxg

For those in a hurry start at 1:50 but I encourage you to watch the whole video demonstration.

Amazing tech!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
I'd look like a fool googling toilet paper brands, may as well wear a camera/projector/mirror combo around my neck and put rubber colours on my fingers to avoid this.
Keep in mind that this product is in the early stages. In a few years SixthSense might be so small you wont even notice it and also there's so many things you can do besides using it to google toilet paper

Last edited by Ender : 01-28-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2010 at 03:50 PM   #81
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

i dont really like it.
its like a big iphone... that u cant make calls on.
and if ur computer is a tablet, then typing is going to be very difficult because you'll have to be constantly looking straight down and that cant be good for your neck.
overall, i just think is useless. stick with a netbook or iphone or even ipod touch
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 01-28-2010 at 04:16 PM   #82
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

The thing is people were expecting a tablet PC. Apple isn't looking to fight in that market (which isn't very big anyways), instead they're trying to create a newish market (fairly large portable media device with the ability to run iPhone/iPod touch apps). If anyone thought apple was trying to make a netbook or a tablet PC of course this will be disappointing, but that wouldn't have been revolutionary either.

I know a lot of people are "so whatting" about this and that's cool. But there's very few devices where EVERYONE is wowed by it. If only 2% of the population of the US bought this apple would still make money. And as I said, the big news from apple is that they are making record profits despite the downturn. I really think that they know their markets and that they're not going to release a product that's likely to completely flop.

Taunton likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 04:38 PM   #83
brendanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post

I know a lot of people are "so whatting" about this and that's cool. But there's very few devices where EVERYONE is wowed by it. p.
when the ipod first came out people were, also with the iphone most people were very impressed with it because it was actually something different. ipad is just finding a slightly different use for an oversize ipod touch. i'm sure some people will find it useful, but its over hyped and is more of an upgrade than anything.
Old 01-28-2010 at 04:50 PM   #84
stevennevets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanp View Post
when the ipod first came out people were, also with the iphone most people were very impressed with it because it was actually something different. ipad is just finding a slightly different use for an oversize ipod touch. i'm sure some people will find it useful, but its over hyped and is more of an upgrade than anything.
I have to disagree. With the original iPod as well as the iPhone, the overall reaction was "not enough features, it'll never sell". The iPod was too simple, no radio, clunky, yet has become THE mp3 player. the iPhone didn't have 3G, no copy-paste, no expandable memory, no replaceable battery, no gps... yet somehow it managed to be a massive success.

if anyone wants a fun (but long) read, the MacRumors thread 500 is a hilarious look into the amazing insight people had at the launch of the iPod.

lawleypop, Taunton like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 05:00 PM   #85
brendanp

Quote:
I have to disagree. With the original iPod as well as the iPhone, the overall reaction was "not enough features, it'll never sell". The iPod was too simple, no radio, clunky, yet has become THE mp3 player. the iPhone didn't have 3G, no copy-paste, no expandable memory, no replaceable battery, no gps... yet somehow it managed to be a massive success.

if anyone wants a fun (but long) read, the MacRumors thread 500 is a hilarious look into the amazing insight people had at the launch of the iPod.
i have to disagree as well. i don't remember the reaction to the ipod that well, but the iphone was definitely something different/revolutionary. i'm not saying tablets won't become popular, just that the ipad isn't anything revolutionary. obviously people will buy it, i just don't see how it is different than an ipod touch with some new apps and a bigger screen.

edit: just read a couple of those posts, pretty funny. still stand by my point that this isn't revolutionary.
Old 01-28-2010 at 05:11 PM   #86
stevennevets

turns out we do agree

the iphone was revolutionary (although critics said it wouldn't sell).

I don't see the iPad as revolutionary at all. it's the natural evolution of the iPhone into a more powerful computing device, but completely not a revolution. that being said, I don't think that's a bad thing.
Old 01-28-2010 at 05:14 PM   #87
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

Read the 1st page... Eff, those people were wrong. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-28-2010 at 07:30 PM   #88
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
The thing is people were expecting a tablet PC. Apple isn't looking to fight in that market (which isn't very big anyways), instead they're trying to create a newish market (fairly large portable media device with the ability to run iPhone/iPod touch apps). If anyone thought apple was trying to make a netbook or a tablet PC of course this will be disappointing, but that wouldn't have been revolutionary either.

I know a lot of people are "so whatting" about this and that's cool. But there's very few devices where EVERYONE is wowed by it. If only 2% of the population of the US bought this apple would still make money. And as I said, the big news from apple is that they are making record profits despite the downturn. I really think that they know their markets and that they're not going to release a product that's likely to completely flop.
o realy?

http://www.maclife.com/article/top_10_apple_flops

look at that mouse on the 2nd page...read what Jobs said about it, he says the same for every damn product they release!
Old 01-28-2010 at 08:49 PM   #89
aviaf
Richard Cioci

Liked: 50 Times

Anybody think they're gonna freak as much as I am when they see this?

I want it so bad:

http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-f...-secret-tablet

This is what I want. Proper pen tablet interface, and its actually like a little notebook so I love it even more

here's another vid with some more:
(this one shows a lot more cool thingS)
http://gizmodo.com/5369493/leaked-co...ctually-use-it

it looks awesome, i want one
Old 01-28-2010 at 08:57 PM   #90
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviaf View Post
Anybody think they're gonna freak as much as I am when they see this?

I want it so bad:

http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-f...-secret-tablet

This is what I want. Proper pen tablet interface, and its actually like a little notebook so I love it even more

here's another vid with some more:
(this one shows a lot more cool thingS)
http://gizmodo.com/5369493/leaked-co...ctually-use-it

it looks awesome, i want one
Very cool! I like it too.

It's much like how I see BlackBerry vs iPhone - the iPhone is much more casual, BlackBerry is much better for work/business purposes.

This looks the same. I would never use the iPad for work... this Courier device however has work written all over it!