MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horizons Conference Staff Applications Up! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 05-27-2010 05:09 PM
Applications Now Open for Residence Life Staff 2009-2010 rosenas MacInsiders Announcements 16 12-19-2008 06:15 PM
What are Residence Life Staff? kokosas Residence & Housing 1 07-04-2008 08:53 PM
RLS Staff Applications lorend Clubs 2 12-28-2007 06:34 PM

Applications for residence life staff

Old 12-04-2009 at 03:00 AM   #16
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
How do you become an IRC rep? What's the process?
You run for either a hall or programming representative position at a specific residence. It's different from becoming a CA in that 1. you are elected and 2. you have control over what residence you become a rep in.
Old 12-12-2009 at 09:50 PM   #17
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Do you have to have lived in residence to be a CA? I couldnt afford to live in residence : (

nevermind, I just saw what they get paid. It is embarrasing that they dont have residence and meal plan covered.

Last edited by Rossclot : 12-12-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:03 PM   #18
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I am thinking of applying..It is my second year living in res but I am scared of the amount of work required throughout the year...Any insights?
Old 12-12-2009 at 11:23 PM   #19
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Do you have to have lived in residence to be a CA? I couldnt afford to live in residence : (

nevermind, I just saw what they get paid. It is embarrasing that they dont have residence and meal plan covered.
Nope, I know someone who lived off campus before applying to be a CA and she got the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I am thinking of applying..It is my second year living in res but I am scared of the amount of work required throughout the year...Any insights?
Depends what building I think....different buildings have different number of staff/coverage. As long as you know how to budget your time, I'm sure you can handle the work as a CA/school work and set your priorities...won't be much of a problem.
Old 12-13-2009 at 01:50 AM   #20
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I'm planning to apply im in third year, would that be cool? also can you manage school + work? if you get placed in bad res can you opt out?
Old 12-13-2009 at 10:19 AM   #21
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
I'm planning to apply im in third year, would that be cool? also can you manage school + work? if you get placed in bad res can you opt out?
Doesn't matter what year you're in really...I even know CAs who are in 4th year. Hm, school + work management depends on you really. Time management is a must...but school is always considered first priority even as RLS. You can always decline your offer if you do get accepted....but there's no such thing as a bad res. I was a CA last year and I loved it even though it got crazy at times.
Old 12-13-2009 at 03:19 PM   #22
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

I've been a CA for two years and I find that it is manageable to be in either third or forth year and to be able to balance between the work and the school. It really is about prioritizing your time.

The job is pretty flexible in terms of when you run your events and do things on your floor. I have had times where I didn't have time to run an event during a certain week due to school work, but then you just push it back a week to a time when you are not so busy.
Old 12-13-2009 at 04:48 PM   #23
manu
jack

Do you get to choose what res you want to be a ca in ?
Old 12-13-2009 at 05:27 PM   #24
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

nah, they hire you based on your skills and where they think you will fit in best...its my first year as a CA and im finding it somewhat easy to balance all my stuff together. Keep in mind that there are about 11 other staff members on your team, so getting any support you need is really not that hard.
Old 12-13-2009 at 05:28 PM   #25
Gurleen

Liked: 0 Times

Hey,
No, you unfortunately do not get to choose what residence you want when you apply to be a CA. However, if you have an interest in a particular community, you should mention that in your interview/application. For example, if you love learning about different types of cultures and backgrounds, maybe Edwards would be great for you, since there is the 'International House'. But, you are still not guaranteed to get the res you want. Its the people that make a residence experience great, and as a CA, you have the upper in hand in shaping your community
Old 12-13-2009 at 06:51 PM   #26
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieeeeeee View Post
Doesn't matter what year you're in really...I even know CAs who are in 4th year. Hm, school + work management depends on you really. Time management is a must...but school is always considered first priority even as RLS. You can always decline your offer if you do get accepted....but there's no such thing as a bad res. I was a CA last year and I loved it even though it got crazy at times.
By bad res i mean the residences i did not like. Lol wallingford, edwards, bates and mcckay. I just don't like their environment.
Old 12-13-2009 at 06:55 PM   #27
manu
jack

How do you not like edwards??? It is the best res ever: the rooms are big, the res is small (you get to know everyone) and quiet you meet people from all over the world (it is so funny when they see snow for the first time) It is in the center of campus-and it has alot of history attached to it!!
Old 12-17-2009 at 10:18 AM   #28
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Still nothing!

I thought apps went out in like, the first week of December!
Old 12-17-2009 at 11:32 AM   #29
manu
jack

the applications are out and have been for a while..go to the housing website
Old 12-17-2009 at 11:51 AM   #30
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
Still nothing!

I thought apps went out in like, the first week of December!
Yep, they're out!. Check the bottom right-hand corner of this page: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence_life/index.html Best of luck!