MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
apply for summer residence Jesse.C First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-21-2013 01:11 PM
How do you apply for a summer lab job? omgwtfitsp Academics 1 01-09-2013 03:50 PM
Can I apply for OSAP in the summer? 327005646 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 04-08-2012 09:34 AM
how do you apply to be a TA for first year courses mk90 Academics 2 10-12-2011 08:37 PM
How do I apply for (summer) Osap? lawleypop Financial Aid 2 03-22-2010 09:41 AM

How to apply summer courses?

Old 01-27-2013 at 09:25 PM   #1
ifengme

Liked: 0 Times

How to apply summer courses?
I am a first-year engineering student, and now I want to make a plan for my summer.
Does anybody know how to apply summer courses, and what courses should I take after first-year engineering courses finishing.
Old 01-27-2013 at 09:29 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

If you don't drop/fail anything in first year engineering, take math 2z03 and 2zz3! Make sure to get rid of those 2 courses before 2nd year. A lot of people end up taking them in the summer. Other than that, upper year engineering courses are not offered in summer school. So if you fail anything next year, you can try to take it online or you will be taking it the following year.

Just make sure you take math 2z03 & 2zz3 this summer. You'll thank yourself later for doing so!

Later on in March, you will be registering for summer school on SOLAR, just like you did earlier on this year when you registered for your courses.

ifengme says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 01-27-2013 at 09:52 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

try using the sessional calender

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-13/pg195.html
Old 01-28-2013 at 12:03 PM   #4
infinitemac

Would you know how to apply for a course equivalent - specifically Physics 1B03 at a different university, say UTM or York?
Old 01-28-2013 at 05:08 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemac View Post
Would you know how to apply for a course equivalent - specifically Physics 1B03 at a different university, say UTM or York?
Letter of Permission. All of this information is available on the McMaster website, and can be easily located through google

infinitemac says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-06-2013 at 11:53 PM   #6
ifengme

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
If you don't drop/fail anything in first year engineering, take math 2z03 and 2zz3! Make sure to get rid of those 2 courses before 2nd year. A lot of people end up taking them in the summer. Other than that, upper year engineering courses are not offered in summer school. So if you fail anything next year, you can try to take it online or you will be taking it the following year.

Just make sure you take math 2z03 & 2zz3 this summer. You'll thank yourself later for doing so!

Later on in March, you will be registering for summer school on SOLAR, just like you did earlier on this year when you registered for your courses.
I only plan to take the first term of summer school, so I can't take math 2z03 and 2zz3 at one term. Except for math, do you have any suggestions of which course should I take for the first term of summer school?
Old 03-06-2013 at 11:59 PM   #7
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifengme View Post
I only plan to take the first term of summer school, so I can't take math 2z03 and 2zz3 at one term. Except for math, do you have any suggestions of which course should I take for the first term of summer school?
If you plan on doing summer school for term 1, then definitely take 2z03 and get ride of it! If you change your mind later on, you can always take 2zz3 in the 2nd part of the summer. These 2 courses run in different terms in the summer, with 2z03 running first.
Old 03-07-2013 at 03:27 AM   #8
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

If the course is already difficult, won't it be even worse trying to cramp all the materials in the shorter semester?
Old 03-07-2013 at 07:58 AM   #9
jim1
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
If the course is already difficult, won't it be even worse trying to cramp all the materials in the shorter semester?
Nope, from the experience of engineering students throughout the years, it seems that taking them in the summer is the best option.

Edit: Oooops i thought you were talking about 2z03/2zz3, my bad But yea as starfish stated below..

Last edited by jim1 : 03-07-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2013 at 08:35 AM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
Really depends on your learning style, too. If you need a lot of time to absorb/practice material, then yes, it might be.

The reason people find it easier is because they don't have a bunch of other courses at the same time...but if you don't have a problem with time management, then this probably isn't a big factor for you.

jim1 likes this.