Mary Keyes '07 lorend Mary Keyes Forum 59 05-13-2008 11:08 AM

Applying for Mary Keyes

Old 02-23-2010 at 01:40 PM   #16
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich123 View Post
How should I fill out my application form to ensure that I get a room that I want. I really want a single room, but I heard it is a very slim chance that it is possible.
The only thing you can do is rank Single with washroom and Single without washroom high on your preferences.

For Keyes, rank suite style high, and for Bates, rank apartment style high.

Then you just pray!
Old 02-23-2010 at 02:19 PM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
How should I fill out my application form to ensure that I get a room that I want. I really want a single room, but I heard it is a very slim chance that it is possible.
If you're an upper year you'll probably get a single room.

If you're going into first year then you need over a 95% average to get one.
Old 02-24-2010 at 07:57 AM   #18
Mich123

Liked: 0 Times

So, if I ranked high in both Keyes and Bates and say i don't get either, what happens then?
Old 02-24-2010 at 08:11 AM   #19
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what are my chances of getting into Mary Keyes? I know it is a lottery draw, but are there alot of applicants for keyes?
Keyes almost always has a rather rediculous amount of applicants, IIRC in my first year nearly half of all people in res wanted Keyes. Getting Keyes is always a complete crapshoot.

Quote:
The only other way to ensure a single room is to get some sort of doctor's note saying you need one. While a lot of first years come in wanting a single, you'll kinda regret it halfway through, it sort of takes away the constant link you have to someone on your floor (getting Keyes or Bates in first year is even worse since the chances of you getting a thight knit community and making a lot of friends in res first year plummets, I know people who got it in first year and regretted it).

Anyway, just rank what you want highly and hope you get lucky.
Old 02-24-2010 at 08:22 AM   #20
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
So, if I ranked high in both Keyes and Bates and say i don't get either, what happens then?
You'd hopefully get one of the other preferences you put down. In the unfortunate scenario that all your preferences have been taken, you get randomly assigned.
Old 02-24-2010 at 09:59 AM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

There's only so many preferences that you can put down now that they only let you pick room types.

If you're first year and you end up in a triple or quad or something and you're not pleased you can always choose not to come to residence and live off-campus.

Housing can't make special accomodations for people unless they require them for legitimate reasons (ie medical).
Old 02-24-2010 at 10:45 AM   #22
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

then you get your third choice, if not thrid then fourth, then fifth and if they cant get you any of your choices then they randomly put you in a room
Old 02-24-2010 at 11:43 AM   #23
shankey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Attitude not required.

I can't find it at the moment, but previously rooms were assigned based on this criteria in order of importance (for upper years).

1) IRC/CA etc.
2) 12.0GPA -> 9.5GPA
3) Others

Before you say "OMFG!! That's not true!! You're wrong!!!", it used to be on the housing website, I just can't find it right now.

I'm NOT sure if they changed the process this year yet again (they like to change the residence process yearly bit by bit), but as far as it was concerned last year, that's how room preferences were assigned, which effectively benefited people who pocket 12s in their classes.

EDIT:
(FROM THE FAQ)
I'm a returning student and didn't get the room type I asked for. Why not?The room was probably assigned to a student who was higher on the priority list for room assignments. Student staff and IRC Reps are assigned rooms first, then student on the Dean's Honour's List according to sessional average, and then students by lottery number

> > > > Told you I'm right. < < < <

Actually, you're still wrong. That's how it used to be. Dmzz is right, and he proved it. There's no need for you to be rude.
Old 02-24-2010 at 12:32 PM   #24
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Then it shifts down to your next choices.
Quote:
Old 02-24-2010 at 02:25 PM   #25
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankey View Post
Actually, you're still wrong. That's how it used to be. Dmzz is right, and he proved it. There's no need for you to be rude.
First off, he was the one giving me attitude first.

Secondly, I'm not wrong. Where is any of your proof? All of my proof is from the CURRENT 2010 application website. He didn't prove anything. NOWHERE on there does it say upper years isn't based on GPA. Whereas I have a DIRECT QUOTE backing me up.

Don't post and just say "You're Wrong". You need to have PROOF to backup your statements, don't spread misinformation.

EDIT: HERE WE GO. READ THIS.

Due to continued claims that I'm wrong, and to squelch any further mis-communication, I PHONED Residence Admissions.

They have 100% OFFICIALLY confirmed that for upper years, your chance of getting your preference is decided entirely based on how high your GPA is.

There, like I initially said, I'm correct. Now stop spreading mis-communication.

Last edited by PTGregD : 02-24-2010 at 02:44 PM.

goodnews.inc says thanks to PTGregD for this post.
Old 02-24-2010 at 03:10 PM   #26
tisdelae

Answers to the Keyes questions!
Hey Guys,

I might be able to help you understand things a little more clearly.
I will be a 3rd year RLS member (CA) next year, conveniently HPA Keyes.

Upper Year Students applying to rez:
-Everyone is put in a lottery system.
-If you have Dean's Honours (GPA 9.5+) and you have met all application requirements you will be guaranteed a bed space, however you do not get to choose which residence specifically- so you are still in the lottery for "building"
-if you have between a 5.0 and 9.5 GPA, you just get put into the general lottery system which will determine whether or not you get a place in residence or are put on waiting list. (Dean's Honours list will never be put on waiting list, they are always guaranteed list)

How to increase your chances of getting into "Keyes":
1. Meet someone who is going to be a CA in Keyes next year and put each other as "preferred roommate" on your application. CAs are already determined to be living in a specific residence, so for Bates/Keyes if we request someone (And you request us) it's likely that you'll end up with us.

2. Plan to room with someone who is on the Dean's Honours list and both of you can put "Suite Style" as your first choice.

3. Rank Suite Style as your first choice.

4. Emailing housing and conference about your preferences will not affect anything, UNLESS you have an alergy, sleep disorder, etc. which may give you priority for either Les Prince Hall or Mary E Keyes Residence (the two newest residence buildings)

Do Upper Years get places with First Years?
Yes they do! But, it depends on the following factors:

1. Many upper year students actually do live in double rooms with a friend. It's actually often more likely that you'll get a rez spot in a double room with a friend in upper year, if you haven't made the 9.5 GPA which guarantees you a spot.

2. You will not be given a double room offer if you do not select double room as an option that you're interested on your application. This also applies for Suite/Apartment style, if you ONLY list those two option and your lottery number is low and those rooms are all full you will NOT be offered a single room elsewhere, you will default to the waiting list.

I recommend putting as many choices as you can bear. i.e. 1. Suite Style, 2. Apartment Style, 3. Single with Washroom, 4. Single Room, 5. Double With Washroom, 6. Double.

3. If you are by yourself, applying for rez, and end up in a double room you will most often be paired with another upper year student in the same situation.
It is MORE likely that you will have a mixed group if you are in Keyes/Bates. Typically they will try to pair you with someone in a similar circumstance, and than place people in pairs in residence in Keyes/Bates. So you may find 2 upper years with 2 first years - it's more common in Bates/Keyes because everywhere else is single and double rooms.

4. In 3 years of residence, I am yet to find upper years in a triple or quad room. (For those who are confused Quad rooms can be found in Woodstock and Moulton and are 4 students living in one enormous room). These are usually only given to 1st year students.

Can I request all my roommates in Keyes/Bates?
Not any more. You can only request 1 roommate, and they have to list all residence choices in the same order as you, and they must also put you down as a preferred roommate.

When Keyes first opened they had an increased number of upper year students and you could be guaranteed residence there if you achieved a high average, that is no longer the case.

You also used to be able to request all 4 roommates, and they could be mixed gender (So long as all 4 roommates agreed), again - this is no longer the case.

For more detailed information about applying to rez as an upper year follow this link: http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Residence_Admissions/Upper_year.html.

Hope that helps!
-Ash.

I'd like to add:
Have 2 or more friends you would like to share a Triple, a Bunk Loft Triple or a Quad room with?
  • Each student in the group will need to email the Residence Admissions officewith this request including each of your friends' student number and their first and last names.
  • Please note: this option does not extend to apartments or suites.
...so it looks like if you WANT to live in a triple or quad in upper years, and you've got 2-3 friends to request with, you could probably get it! just email housing, but they will not regard any emails of that sort for Apartment/Suite style.

.:callen:., goodnews.inc all say thanks to tisdelae for this post.