MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help in applying to Life Science please Nueloas First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 45 12-08-2010 12:26 PM
Physics For Life Science? meikaelahmad Academics 6 09-07-2010 07:49 AM

Applying to Medrad/Med Physics from Life Science I

Old 02-02-2012 at 11:55 PM   #1
chelseac

Liked: 0 Times

Applying to Medrad/Med Physics from Life Science I
Hey! I'm in life sci right now but am thinking of applying to medrad next year. I enjoy kinesiology, biology, physics but not chemistry and I think medrad or med physics is more for me. any information or reccomendations would be great! Not sure how many people get into medrad and med physics and the cutoff range. Thank you
Old 02-03-2012 at 02:42 AM   #2
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

If you wish to get into Med Rad, you're going to have to do Level I Med Rad, as it is a different program entirely, but if you're going into Med Phys, you move onto Level II, because it is a specialization. By that, I mean that you'll have to restart in first year if you go into Med Rad. There are some courses that you may have probably taken that would count as anti/co-requisites, but not all.

Speak to an academic advisor and check the undergraduate calendar for more details.
Old 02-03-2012 at 08:50 AM   #3
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/med...-students.html
- For the cut off I would say its probably best to email them
Old 02-03-2012 at 10:14 AM   #4
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1604.html

you could get into med physics
Old 02-03-2012 at 10:59 AM   #5
Alicia.I

Liked: 0 Times

I am currently in Med Rad level 2. Specializing in Radiography. Med Rad is a very specific program with its own courses. Look at the undergrad calendar to see if any courses you already took in first year are the same as ones we took. However there are not many. If i can recall quickly it was a biology, math, two electives and the rest were MedRad courses.
Not sure exactly what your looking for out of the programs but Med Rad is a very specific program. In first year you get a general look at all of the streams and begin learning about radiation, etc. Sometime in first year you will have the opportunity to apply to the streams based on your personal choices ranked first, second and third. The streams are Radiography (aka xray), Ultrasound and Radiation Therapy. In second year you will be accepted into one of these streams. And continue from there. The program is a combined Mohawk/McMaster program so you are fully prepared for the workforce in one of three fields. The program trains you for the job in these fields it is not general. We also participate in clinical (2nd year summer term) and (4th year fall/winter term). So you only have your first year summer off. Third year summer term is at Mac in classes. If you have any more questions feel free to personal message me and Id be more than happy to answer your questions.
Old 02-04-2012 at 01:29 PM   #6
muons

Liked: 84 Times

The new med physics program seems so awesome! I hope you get in.

chelseac likes this.