MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Life Science 1 iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 12:22 PM
Life Science II bingbong Academics 30 06-22-2010 09:55 PM
Can i get into life science danishtanwee General Discussion 10 09-03-2009 06:00 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

help in applying to Life Science please

Old 11-23-2010 at 12:07 PM   #1
Nueloas

Liked: 0 Times

help in applying to Life Science please
hey. I want to apply to life science I at mcmaster. But on the ouac website. Under life science, there is subject of major interest. they range from biochemistry to biology , life science molecular biology...

Thing is would the choice of subject of major interest affect my studies, like in what does each subject differ than the other ?
Old 11-23-2010 at 12:20 PM   #2
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nueloas View Post
hey. I want to apply to life science I at mcmaster. But on the ouac website. Under life science, there is subject of major interest. they range from biochemistry to biology , life science molecular biology...

Thing is would the choice of subject of major interest affect my studies, like in what does each subject differ than the other ?
it does not matter which option you select. First year is general, second year you decide on an area of specialization.
Old 11-23-2010 at 03:05 PM   #3
Connor_92

Liked: 14 Times

however, you do need to have some idea going in what program you want to take second year, because a lot of them have specific prerequisites and recommended courses. Also, be aware that you have to get into the second year programs, and only one is automatic. So be sure to keep your grades somewhat respectable.
Old 11-23-2010 at 03:17 PM   #4
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
it does not matter which option you select. First year is general, second year you decide on an area of specialization.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor_92 View Post
however, you do need to have some idea going in what program you want to take second year, because a lot of them have specific prerequisites and recommended courses. Also, be aware that you have to get into the second year programs, and only one is automatic. So be sure to keep your grades somewhat respectable.
I didn't know Life Science also applies this procedure. Huh, interesting.

In Engineering, we pick 4 different specializations by ranking. For instance, Electrical was my first choice, Computer as second and so on. However, in order to guarantee a spot in your first choice, you must maintain a minimum of 60% average and it also depends on the demand in that specialization. Hence, it's competitive based.

Say, in Electrical, there's one last spot and I have 72% average and another student has 70% average. I would end up taking the spot. The other student will be placed in his second, third or fourth choice. That's what makes first year really stressful. Your lifetime goal depends on your grades. So metaphorically speaking, you only get one shot at this.

Welcome to McMaster.
Old 11-23-2010 at 04:07 PM   #5
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

It's not automatic. I chose Honours Physics, Chemistry, ChemBio and Biochem in some random order and it just says I'm eligible to them. In the end, you get to choose.
Old 11-23-2010 at 05:47 PM   #6
Connor_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
It's not automatic. I chose Honours Physics, Chemistry, ChemBio and Biochem in some random order and it just says I'm eligible to them. In the end, you get to choose.
I know, but the only one you are guaranteed a spot in is honours life science (what i meant by automatic, the rest are competitive based correct?
Old 11-23-2010 at 06:04 PM   #7
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

it doesnt really matter which you pick, they wont affect your chances of getting into Life Sci. But its best like someone previously said, to know what courses you should take because when you apply for your major in 2nd year, each differ slightly in terms of marks and courses required.
Old 11-23-2010 at 06:23 PM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Mac sucks, in all seriousness, dont come.

eullwm, pirates01, RyanC like this.
Old 11-23-2010 at 06:29 PM   #9
Taylor

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
I know, but the only one you are guaranteed a spot in is honours life science (what i meant by automatic, the rest are competitive based correct?
you're only guaranteed a spot in honours life science if you have at least a 6.0 average. if your average is lower than that you're just put into a 3 year BSc. and yes, most of the other programs require a higher grade average as they are competitively based.
Old 11-23-2010 at 07:47 PM   #10
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

doesn't really make a difference
Old 11-23-2010 at 09:26 PM   #11
Connor_92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
you're only guaranteed a spot in honours life science if you have at least a 6.0 average. if your average is lower than that you're just put into a 3 year BSc. and yes, most of the other programs require a higher grade average as they are competitively based.
fair enough, I just assumed that if someone can get into life science 1, that they can keep up a C+ average. I mean, for most of us, that would be a 20-25% drop in marks, which can happen, but that seems extreme. Does that kind of drop happen to a lot of people? Like do a lot get pushed into that 3 year program, or do they usually just drop out?
Old 11-29-2010 at 06:05 PM   #12
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Don't go into Life sciences unless you want to go further. If you just want to get a degree, its not worth it unless you're going in pharmacy, med or getting a phd in a certain field. But if you like the subject then go for it.
Old 11-29-2010 at 07:10 PM   #13
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Don't go into Life sciences unless you want to go further. If you just want to get a degree, its not worth it unless you're going in pharmacy, med or getting a phd in a certain field. But if you like the subject then go for it.
wow, you are totally clueless.

vp15 likes this.
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:08 PM   #14
Taylor

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
fair enough, I just assumed that if someone can get into life science 1, that they can keep up a C+ average. I mean, for most of us, that would be a 20-25% drop in marks, which can happen, but that seems extreme. Does that kind of drop happen to a lot of people? Like do a lot get pushed into that 3 year program, or do they usually just drop out?
No it doesn't happen to a lot of people, I would say most people get into honours programs. It does happen though, I know a couple people who weren't able to maintain a 6. I don't think they would drop out because of that though, because if you are able to get your average up to a 6 in second or third year you can always transfer to an honours program.
Old 11-29-2010 at 09:20 PM   #15
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
wow, you are totally clueless.
Sorry I hurt your feelings... But Engineering is the only good program at mac to get a real job with just 4 years.

EDIT: Took the word shit out. Don't want to make some people feel miserable.

Last edited by Commander : 11-29-2010 at 10:59 PM.