MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Life Science 1 iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 12:22 PM
Life Science course help cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-26-2010 07:31 AM
Will i get into Life Science? BestIEverHad First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 04-13-2010 01:43 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science II

Old 05-30-2010 at 11:11 PM   #1
bingbong

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Life Science II
Im a level I Life Science student at mac (well just finished my first year)
and i unfortunately finished with a 6.8 average, and i didnt get accepted into any of the 2nd year programs i applied to:

molecular biology & genetics
honours bio
honours bio physiology
biochem

i was told if you didnt get accepted into any of them, but your average was 6.0 or higher you'd be placed in honours life science II.

is this true?
Old 05-31-2010 at 12:31 AM   #2
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
and i unfortunately finished with a 6.8 average, and i didnt get accepted into any of the 2nd year programs i applied to:

honours bio
honours bio physiology
biochem

i was told if you didnt get accepted into any of them, but your average was 6.0 or higher you'd be placed in honours life science II.

is this true?
Does it say on your grade report that you are eligible for hon. life sci?
Old 05-31-2010 at 12:43 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

honours bio
honours bio physiology
biochem

is this true?
You can probably get transfered into another program, but you'll have to talk to an academic advisor. If it doesn't say you are eligible for anything then you should go asap. You need a second year program to pick before picking your courses because if none are available, your first year program will be there but you won't meet the requirement for some courses.
Old 05-31-2010 at 12:56 AM   #4
bingbong

well it doesnt say it cuz i didnt apply to it ( i was told i didnt have to)
so im not entirely sure.
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:00 AM   #5
bingbong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You can probably get transfered into another program, but you'll have to talk to an academic advisor. If it doesn't say you are eligible for anything then you should go asap. You need a second year program to pick before picking your courses because if none are available, your first year program will be there but you won't meet the requirement for some courses.
i passed the requirements though, i dont understand how i'd have to transfer programs.
but who can i contact? and will they be around during the summer?
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:08 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
i passed the requirements though, i dont understand how i'd have to transfer programs.
but who can i contact? and will they be around during the summer?
Any academic counsellor in the science department. I'm pretty sure they have counselling now that grade finalizations are complete. I think their office hours is 9-4.

Just call McMaster, 0 for operator and ask for the science academic advisor office.
Old 05-31-2010 at 01:20 AM   #7
bingbong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Any academic counsellor in the science department. I'm pretty sure they have counselling now that grade finalizations are complete. I think their office hours is 9-4.

Just call McMaster, 0 for operator and ask for the science academic advisor office.
kk thank you very much! really appreciate the help
Old 05-31-2010 at 08:55 AM   #8
PandraBear

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:

is this true?
I'm pretty sure that you are eligible for Hon. Life Sci since the only requirement (that I'm aware of) is having a 6.0+ average. However, I'm not sure if you'd get automatically placed in the program. There may be a logistics issue where you'd actually have to request it. But just like jhan523 mentioned, your safest bet is talking to an Academic Advisor at the the Associate Dean's office. They have walk-in hours every day until 3 and you can also reach them over the phone.
Old 05-31-2010 at 09:03 AM   #9
kumara

Liked: 7 Times

hi
where do i have to go to see if i get accepted??? I tried to find it but i couldn't :s
Old 05-31-2010 at 09:11 AM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumara View Post
where do i have to go to see if i get accepted??? I tried to find it but i couldn't :s
Acceptance into level 2 programs is on your degree audit, I believe, which is on MUGSI.

Unless you're talking about some other acceptance, in which case you need to clarify.
Old 05-31-2010 at 09:44 AM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Acceptance into level 2 programs is on your degree audit, I believe, which is on MUGSI.

Unless you're talking about some other acceptance, in which case you need to clarify.
It's actually on your Grade Report.
Old 05-31-2010 at 02:59 PM   #12
kanagaap

Liked: 0 Times

Hi there bing bong.. i have a similar situation.. can u let me kno wat happens with your situation.. im not sure what to do
Old 05-31-2010 at 03:17 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumara View Post
Should be clearly stated in your Grade Report. If its not in there, call office of registrar right away.
Old 05-31-2010 at 03:49 PM   #14
tigerize8

Liked: 7 Times

hey. im basically in the same situation
a) it should say on ur grade report something like this
REGISTRATION FOR SEP10-APR11
ELIGIBLE FOR
BSC/HON , H LIFE SCIENCES
B.SC. , LIFE SCIENCES

they weren't even part of my four choices xD couldn't get into any [mol bio cut off = 8.5 and bio = 7.8]

hope that helps

sana1504 likes this.
Old 05-31-2010 at 04:51 PM   #15
bingbong

Hey guys so i called a science academic advisor and she put me into honours life science II as a conditional acceptance because im missing psych 1xx3.
she said i'll see it when i go on solar for course registration this summer.

if you guys run into the same problem just called the school and ext 27590 and follow the prompts and im sure they'll be able to help you.

thanks again for the help guys!

sana1504, ~*Sara*~ like this.