MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Life Science 1 iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 12:22 PM
Life Science course help cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-26-2010 07:31 AM
Life Science II bingbong Academics 30 06-22-2010 09:55 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Will i get into Life Science?

Old 04-09-2010 at 08:42 PM   #1
BestIEverHad

Liked: 0 Times

Will i get into Life Science?
ok so i got my 2nd semester midterm marks today and my overall Top 6 average is 85.33%. The cutoff is 83-86% this year and i have a feeling that the cut off is way higher than what it is. What are my chances for getting into Life Sci 2010? I really want to go to Mac .
Old 04-09-2010 at 08:54 PM   #2
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestIEverHad View Post
ok so i got my 2nd semester midterm marks today and my overall Top 6 average is 85.33%. The cutoff is 83-86% this year and i have a feeling that the cut off is way higher than what it is. What are my chances for getting into Life Sci 2010? I really want to go to Mac .
why do you think the cut off is higher than what is listed?

honestly, with an 85 avg, i would think you stand a fairly high chance of getting accepted.

good luck, and don't stress!!
Old 04-09-2010 at 09:08 PM   #3
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

It you are unsure, apply to Enviro Sci as well. The cutoff is usually lower, you can take basically the same courses and move into Life Sci II (also bio, chem, etc) with no problems - it makes no difference as long as you take all the needed courses for lv II.
Old 04-09-2010 at 09:37 PM   #4
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

An 85% is a good average, and the cut-offs really don't change much from year-to-year. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2010 at 11:28 PM   #5
Connor_92

Quote:

I think you'll probably get in. I was accepted to that program, and they said I had to keep an 84 average. So I think thats what the cutoff is?
Old 04-10-2010 at 01:00 PM   #6
chung05

dont worry about it
Honestly Mac is different compared to other university
i wanted to get into life sci and couldnt but i found out that in first year your technically not a life sci student because in the faculty of science everyone pretty much takes the same course and after first year you have to choose which program you want to major in it is then you are actually part of a program.

Because of this I applied for physical sci in first year b/c cutoff was low and i wanted to go to mac lastly this program is part of the faculty of science.
Then when time came to pick courses i looked at which courses are required in first year to get into the life sci program in second year and i picked all thoses courses and had the required gpa to get into the hon life sci program in second year.
(note you dont have to take the courses that are listed under whatever first year faculty of sci program your in b/c if you are planning to major in life sci there is no point of taking the required courses for phys sci when your not going to pick that program in second year)

However, I recommend you take all sci course bio and chem and physic 1b03 because by the end of first year you might want to go into another program like biochem or bio or bio/pharm

Lastly at mac when you graduate on your certificate it says you have a science degree not life sci or bio it will say the degree of whatever faculty your in so for geo it would say arts degree
Old 04-10-2010 at 01:03 PM   #7
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chung05 View Post
Lastly at mac when you graduate on your certificate it says you have a science degree not life sci or bio it will say the degree of whatever faculty your in so for geo it would say arts degree
Could you expand upon that last part? I'm not sure I follow what you meant.
Old 04-10-2010 at 01:03 PM   #8
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Never mind, I see what you were referring to now.
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:46 PM   #9
BestIEverHad

ok thanx guys but if i apply to environmental sciences as a back up in case i dont get into life sci, is it still possible for mac to accept me for life science or will they only accept me for env sci as an alternate offer?
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:51 PM   #10
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Hatin' on the Environmental Science, eh?
You're considered for both programs you apply to - if you apply to both Life Science and Environmental Science, you'll receive an offer for both individually regardless of the fact that Environmental Science would be your back-up. That's poorly worded, so I'll try to clarify what I mean. If you have, say, an 89% average and can obviously get into either program with that, the university won't simply offer you Environmental Science just because the admission average is lower.
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:51 PM   #11
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chung05 View Post
I don't understand why this matters? Just because everyone gets the same degree, it doesn't mean they have the same education... what program you finish with matters. A bsc in biology won't qualify you for a job as a physicist.
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:53 PM   #12
BestIEverHad

ok thanx so much for the clarification i wonder if its not too late to apply for environ sci cause it doesn't say closed on ouac, but heck imma try it
Old 04-10-2010 at 02:54 PM   #13
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

No problem. If it is closed, you can try applying late by contacting the school. I don't know anyone who has successfully done than, but I know you can try.
Old 04-11-2010 at 12:45 AM   #14
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Also consider physical science!
Old 04-11-2010 at 12:46 AM   #15
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Your going to get in, no need to consider anything else.