MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Life Science 1 iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-29-2010 12:22 PM
Life Science course help cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 06-26-2010 07:31 AM
Life Science II bingbong Academics 30 06-22-2010 09:55 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Will i get into Life Science?

Old 04-11-2010 at 02:00 PM   #16
sf

Liked: 36 Times

I agree, you're going to get in, don't waste money applying to another program when you don't need to
Old 04-12-2010 at 03:36 PM   #17
chung05

Liked: 0 Times

Well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I don't understand why this matters? Just because everyone gets the same degree, it doesn't mean they have the same education... what program you finish with matters. A bsc in biology won't qualify you for a job as a physicist.
Well it does matter because with a bio or a envirosci major you have a chance to become a physicist by using all your electives for physics courses and then you can apply to a physics grads school at mac to go on the path of becoming a physicist.

That is why mac science is unique because it allows students to take many different sci courses allowing them to choose the grad school they prefer.

However, i believe only mac grad schools are lenient towards a bsc degree in allowing students to apply to different fields of grad school.

Lastly like i said before any first year program in the faculty of science are allowed to major in another science program in second year that goes for envirosci math etc
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1466.html
(list of sci programs)

Before all these programs came in to place during first year there used to be one first year program called science and than at than end of first year you choose your major so pretend your in a program called sci and than look into the program (faculty of sci program) you want to enter in second year and take the required prereq courses for second year regardless of what program you got into during first year

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current/
(this site will help you find the programs and provide you with the courses required for 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th (coop) year)

Last edited by chung05 : 04-12-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2010 at 12:41 PM   #18
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by chung05 View Post
Well it does matter because with a bio or a envirosci major you have a chance to become a physicist by using all your electives for physics courses and then you can apply to a physics grads school at mac to go on the path of becoming a physicist.

That is why mac science is unique because it allows students to take many different sci courses allowing them to choose the grad school they prefer.

However, i believe only mac grad schools are lenient towards a bsc degree in allowing students to apply to different fields of grad school.

Lastly like i said before any first year program in the faculty of science are allowed to major in another science program in second year that goes for envirosci math etc
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1466.html
(list of sci programs)

Before all these programs came in to place during first year there used to be one first year program called science and than at than end of first year you choose your major so pretend your in a program called sci and than look into the program (faculty of sci program) you want to enter in second year and take the required prereq courses for second year regardless of what program you got into during first year

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current/
(this site will help you find the programs and provide you with the courses required for 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th (coop) year)

Just so you know, when you graduate and you get your deploma, it says

Bacholor of Science
(Program here)

Your program matters.
Old 04-13-2010 at 01:30 PM   #19
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

From the science I've been taking there has been pretty much 0 chance for creativity. It mostly seems to be about remebering tons of stuff and filling out charts. If I had to do stuff like this for a career I'd prefer to leave that career to a robot.
Old 04-13-2010 at 01:43 PM   #20
Kelsey18
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

I always hear that opinion. In some ways I guess it's true, but I've found there's a lot of times to be creative.
For example, Biology 1M03 has a problem-based learning project in labs, where you have to think creatively to design a solution to a problem. Ours was about a plan to control invasive species, and I thought it required a lot of creativity. There was another group who had to design an alternative to bottled water on campus.
A lot of the core material is strictly memorization, I agree with you there. But I think many of the labs require a lot of creative thinking, and that specific example has a lot to do with the type of jobs a lot of people with Science degrees would go into.