MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster ER will be Children-only as of April 4th J-Met MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-30-2011 01:57 PM
University Medical Center bus stop Halsinger General Discussion 3 09-11-2009 08:46 AM

April 4 2011 McMaster University Medical Centre transitioning to children only ER

On April 4th 2011, the McMaster University Medical Centre (MUMC) will be transitioning to Paediatrics-only Emergency.

This will have a pronounced effect on students, given that students who are 18 years or older will no longer be able to access the emergency room facilities at this location. Instead, students are being encouraged to attend any of the other three emergency departments in Hamilton, or access the new Main St. West Urgent Care Centre.

The Urgent Care Centre, to be located on 690 Main St. West, will be open seven days a week between 8 am and 10 pm. The Centre is equipped to treat non-life-threatening illnesses or injuries that do not require emergency care, but cannot wait for an appointment with a family doctor.

These changes are being met by a concerted effort between the MSU and its Emergency First Response Team (EFRT), as well McMaster’s Security Services and Public Relations. We are working together closely to ensure that students are able to access timely, appropriate care despite no longer having the convenience of accessing an on-campus hospital, as well as to communicate these imminent changes to the larger McMaster community.

For more information, please see:

McMaster Daily News

Associated PDF outlining the locations you can access emergency care in Hamilton.

The Silhouette, March 24th: Mac hospital ER to go kids-only

Hamilton Health Sciences website

huzaifa47 says thanks to mkozi for this post.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 03-28-2011 at 09:42 PM   #2
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 416 Times
Booooooooooooo!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxsumz says thanks to Afzal for this post.

Moo!io likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 03-28-2011 at 09:48 PM   #3
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer
Program: Chemical Biology
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS (formerly Bates)

Liked: 447 Times
I'm okay with this. If I ever had a serious injury I would much rather be treated up the 'mountain' at Juravinski's. That place is amazingly efficient and professional.
Old 03-28-2011 at 10:23 PM   #4
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist
Program: Physics & Astronomy

Liked: 313 Times
The largest hospital in Canada converting its emergency room to children only. This is some messed up stuff....

Afzal, britb, dsahota like this.

Old 03-28-2011 at 10:38 PM   #5
Buszaj
Program: Life Science

Liked: 125 Times
This decision is bullshit. I don't think hospital emergency wards should be limited to a certain age bracket. In a life-threatening situation, people need to be treated as fast as possible. The switch over to a children only emergency ward is even stupider because you've got thousands of university students who like to be stupid at times. If the need arises for a student to go to the ER, instead of being able to go right on campus, extra time will be needed to reach another hospital. Time which sometimes means life or death.

Afzal, JonC89 like this.
Old 03-28-2011 at 10:42 PM   #6
dsahota
Program: Engineering Physics
Year: Other

Liked: 83 Times
To make matters worse, its also expected to cost our already cash strapped city an extra $1.1 million per year in ambulance costs to get people to divert people to other hospitals. Thanks to our wonderful LHIN we'll be getting an extra property tax increase.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...t-1-1m-er-bill
Old 03-28-2011 at 10:52 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times
F*ck this. Seriously. People are going to die.
Old 03-28-2011 at 11:14 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
As if hospital ERs aren't already horrible. This is complete and utter nonsense -_-

Afzal likes this.
Old 03-28-2011 at 11:25 PM   #9
hamnahx02
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Third

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
The largest hospital in Canada converting its emergency room to children only. This is some messed up stuff....
wait... largest hospital in canada? mind if i ask where you got that from, or did you not mean that literally, i always thought the largest hospital was in Vancouver. correct me if im wrong
Old 03-28-2011 at 11:37 PM   #10
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.
Program: ???
Residence: ???

Liked: 611 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnahx02 View Post
wait... largest hospital in canada? mind if i ask where you got that from, or did you not mean that literally, i always thought the largest hospital was in Vancouver. correct me if im wrong

I remember hearing something like its the largest building in terms fo Sq feet is ON (maybe Canada)... anyway, it's definitely the biggest in Hamilton.

This is a stupid decision.

Last edited by britb : 03-28-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:41 AM   #11
jamescw1234
The Awkward One
Program: Social Work and Sociology

Liked: 468 Times
The scariest part of this is that there is still going to be obstetrics at Mac, without an adult ICU. Labour is a very high risk process and there is a multitude of things that could go wrong. Mac has created a special ICU for moms, but that does not replace a full ICU with trained staff specifically to deal with adults needed intensive care. I'm concerned for anyone who is giving birth at Mac.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 03-29-2011 at 08:39 AM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times
Is there anything that can be done about this? Somebody we can ***** at to do something?
Old 03-29-2011 at 09:09 AM   #13
J-Met
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 136 Times
Just for context, we are in the same situation now as many other universities who do not have a hospital on campus. For many universities, there is no ER within walking distance, just like it will be for us.

We were really just lucky while we had it while we did.

The only danger I see is students not knowing about the change, and going to the Children's ER anyways, but hopefully you can all help communicate this change so that everyone is aware.

One final point, that was highlighted at the SRA meeting where they made the presentation, was that if someone arrives at the Childrens ER with a serious medical emergency, one considered too urgent to be transfered to another hospital via ambulance, they will not just stand there and let you die. In such circumstances they would still treat you, even if you're over 18.

Geek says thanks to J-Met for this post.
Old 03-29-2011 at 09:22 AM   #14
JLG 15
Program: Civil Engineering
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
I think this is perfect. I went to McMaster Hospital as a child. With this change more emergency lifts from other hospitals will be able to happen. My cousin had CF and had to be lifted in to Toronto because McMaster was full. Plus most people in the ER do not need to be their, they should really be at the urgent care center.
Old 03-29-2011 at 09:51 AM   #15
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Is there anything that can be done about this? Somebody we can ***** at to do something?

You're a little late(2-3 years). Try keeping up with whats going on it the community before its announced on Macinsiders lol. People are so predictable, nobody pays attention to anything.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search