MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cliff Jumping in the area lawleypop Athletics & Recreation 23 03-04-2010 04:29 PM
anyone live at 191 Main St W????? macculkin General Discussion 5 07-04-2009 02:50 AM
Hamilton Area Code? dr34mXXX First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-26-2008 09:43 AM
Election Ballot Totals (1st round) Get Updated Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-04-2008 01:33 PM
New Laptop Area in Mills! KristaG General Discussion 1 12-14-2007 08:00 PM

How is the area around Erie and Main?

Old 03-02-2011 at 11:36 PM   #16
Ziggi

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post

You got some weed at Erie and Main?

Is this the normal shopping place for such goods?
How was your impression of the place? Did you have total confident?

Do you live in a house or an apartment?

The rent is quite cheap indeed! The apartment I am interested only cost $650 (+hydro) for a 2 bedrooms with balcony and parking.

It will take me 15 more minutes to get to McMaster using bus comparing to my current location. However, the rooms are much larger. It seems more private due to it being an actual apartment. I currently live in a triplex house where I can hear everyone through the walls.

Balcony and parking spot just round out the overall package. Same price too!
I live in a house.

The commute isn't actually that bad. Sometimes it only takes me 20 minutes to get to school [when there is no traffic and minimal stops. It always surprises me]. The king might be a bit quicker, who knows, I take the 5 Deleware. It normally takes 25-30 mins to get to campus, though. But I either sleep or catch up on readings, so time is not wasted.
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:41 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
That area is crack town and everything that comes with it.

I'm guessing you are a girl? If so I would never let my gf, daughter, sister or what have you live in that area. There are pockets of decent blocks in that area but I wouldn't live there and I have lived in Hamilton for 30 years.

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere north of main except in westdale or at least west of locke again. I also wouldn't go east of James unless it was up close to the mountain.

You might get lucky in that area but I wouldn't take the chance of living in a building with crackheads, hookers and single welfare moms with 5 little ******* kids screaming and yelling all day.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-02-2011 at 11:45 PM   #18
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I use to volunteer in the downtown area and all the social workers said that area was big on sketchy people and activities. Plus I've seen people walking around there and they look kinda harmless but at the same time not the type of neighbors I want. Before you sign the lease visit the area in afternoon and night. In afternoon all druggies usually wakeup and night is their day. But seriously make sure you do a neighborhood walk through before u sign anything. Plus if you have 650 to spend try the queen st or Locke st areas but south.
Old 03-02-2011 at 11:57 PM   #19
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I bought weed from a stranger there last week during Reading Week. Does that help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
My landlord seems very lax about weed.

When I was viewing the place. She mentioned the procedures for notices before landlord can enter the unit... Etc... Then she said something along the line of "I don't care what you do. Hydro is your, so you can grow weed if you want."
I've bought weed from my landlord...jus sayin
Old 03-03-2011 at 02:21 AM   #20
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar View Post
That area is crack town and everything that comes with it.

I'm guessing you are a girl? If so I would never let my gf, daughter, sister or what have you live in that area. There are pockets of decent blocks in that area but I wouldn't live there and I have lived in Hamilton for 30 years.

Personally I wouldn't live anywhere north of main except in westdale or at least west of locke again. I also wouldn't go east of James unless it was up close to the mountain.

You might get lucky in that area but I wouldn't take the chance of living in a building with crackheads, hookers and single welfare moms with 5 little ******* kids screaming and yelling all day.
Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I did noticed was the concentration of buildings around that area. With all the cheap rent, I can understand that the tenant population could be a concern.

The unit above my unit is home to a single lady. Below is a family that does have kids. It shouldn't be as bad having them below as oppose to above (like when the kids are running in the house).

The old tenants was still there when I did my viewing. I tried to ask questions but he didn't want to answer and kept looking at my landlord. :(. Maybe he didn't understand English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
I live in a house.

The commute isn't actually that bad. Sometimes it only takes me 20 minutes to get to school [when there is no traffic and minimal stops. It always surprises me]. The king might be a bit quicker, who knows, I take the 5 Deleware. It normally takes 25-30 mins to get to campus, though. But I either sleep or catch up on readings, so time is not wasted.
15 minutes more per route, or 30 mins more per day doesn't seems as bad. Considering the place is a lot more private and roomy.

Living in a house, you should be most susceptible to the quality of the neighborhood. Do you see kids playing in the street and such?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I use to volunteer in the downtown area and all the social workers said that area was big on sketchy people and activities. Plus I've seen people walking around there and they look kinda harmless but at the same time not the type of neighbors I want. Before you sign the lease visit the area in afternoon and night. In afternoon all druggies usually wakeup and night is their day. But seriously make sure you do a neighborhood walk through before u sign anything. Plus if you have 650 to spend try the queen st or Locke st areas but south.
I actually did this while viewing the place. It was around 5 pm on Tuesday. I will definitely take your advice and do another careful tour.

Didn't see much details that stand out when I walk around. Walked to the bus stop at King then to the opposite bus stop down in Stinston. Didn't see much except that the places on King look a bit old and rusty.
Old 03-03-2011 at 01:43 PM   #21
Ziggi

Liked: 2 Times

Well, a lot of people play street hockey on my street and I like right by Lifesaver Park. It's not the busiest park in the world, but there are sometimes kids and such. And they hold some festivals [or did, I don't know if they still do] there during, like, Easter and such. Which can be fun [if they still have them]

And I sometimes see kids playing in Stinson Street School's play park.

And of course kids from that area attend Adelaide Hoodless, so there are a lot of kids during the before/after school times

But, generally, there isn't a lot of outdoor activity. Maybe it's the winter and I can't recall the summer?

I'm trying to think of more things I notice, but I can't seem to think of anything.
Old 03-03-2011 at 02:01 PM   #22
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Why bother getting a 2 bedroom apt, is it necessary? I personally would not choose to live in that area, I've only experienced it twice, once on the way to eastgate and once when i went shopping at no frills and both times I felt a bit uncomfortable being there. This was for several reasons, including the types of people as well as just the sense you get from the area...it seems a little sketchier than core downtown. Why not find something closer to campus, in a house with a few other friends maybe? From what I've seen I don't think rent is as expensive as 650, and you can find decent houses with good privacy and all utilities included. Why bother paying 650 + hydro for a sketchy area.
Old 03-03-2011 at 02:05 PM   #23
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
I bought weed from a stranger there last week during Reading Week. Does that help?
Was it any good?
Old 03-03-2011 at 02:15 PM   #24
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
Was it any good?
Well, it was kush, so... yup.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-03-2011 at 10:42 PM   #25
gallagaj

Liked: 19 Times

The area you are looking at is quite honestly a VERY ghetto part of hamilton. Yes, the rent is cheap, but thats exactly why. Crackheads, prostitutes... etc. If you stay near main street it is not as bad but don't go near King and Victoria - especially at night! That is where all the prostitutes hang out.
Old 03-04-2011 at 12:38 PM   #26
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Thank you for all the replies.

I went hunting for crackheads and prostitutes last night. Around 10 pm the streets was empty. I understand that does not negate what have been stated but I don't know...

Gave my roommate this link and left the decision up to my roommate. I'm not scare caused like lawleypop

Quote:
I'm bad ass.