MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting Around In Hamilton Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 09-25-2010 08:36 PM
What's Hamilton really like?! amitoj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 52 07-26-2010 07:24 AM
Plagiarism In University: How To Avoid It and What Happens If You Get Caught niteskie Academics 6 10-04-2009 02:21 AM
Hamilton Goce General Discussion 25 07-08-2009 04:02 PM
AVOID Humanities 2C03/CMST 2W03 v-pop Academics 17 12-11-2008 11:38 PM

Areas to avoid in Hamilton?

Old 07-05-2009 at 01:09 AM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0390 View Post
If any part of Hamilton has sketchy people that ask if you "have loose change" so he can "buy a cup of coffee" or anything along those lines, chances are you should avoid going there regularly.

>:
Uh oh . sounds like it happens often.. :S
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:10 AM   #17
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I find the whole division of Hamilton into little suburbs kinda fascinating.. yet really weird at the same time.. I don't know why
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:11 AM   #18
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

no, it doesn't happen too often but yes there are areas in downtown that you don't want to be caught alone at night in
no need to be scared

Old 07-05-2009 at 01:11 AM   #19
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Haha, it might be too late by then, Jeff. The point of finding out about the sketchy areas is not to go there in the first place.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:13 AM   #20
Alvin

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0390 View Post
If any part of Hamilton has sketchy people that ask if you "have loose change" so he can "buy a cup of coffee" or anything along those lines, chances are you should avoid going there regularly.

>:
How does someone asking for loose change pose a dangerous situation to you that you go so far to avoid going there?

I don't mean to single you out, but there's no need to stigmatize marginalized populations.
McMaster University
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:14 AM   #21
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Ancaster has a great movie theatre and some good stores so it's worth visiting. Dundas is beautiful and has lots of nice little shops. The health food store there is awesome. Westdale is really a student hot spot with lots of good food options and some essential stores (like Shoppers and a few banks). All these places tend to be on the pricey end though.

As for the areas of Hamilton to avoid... far down the east side is really the only place that isn't worth visiting at all. I like visiting even the stereotypical 'sketchy' areas of Hamilton, like downtown. There are always some solid union protests or some other type of social uproar going down. Always entertaining. Jackson Square is a horrible mall though. The only places I find worth visiting in the downtown area would be Mahal (Indian food) or just to transfer to the bus that will take you to limeridge, in my opinion anyway.

I think the sketchiness of Hamilton is blown out of proportion. During the day time you can go anywhere and be completely fine. There are some great places in Hamilton worth visiting, more Mac students should 'pop the bubble' and explore the city. Its not just a steel town with lots of poverty and crime as its made out to be.

jeffgreen, Maegs, moops, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to .:callen:. for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:20 AM   #22
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Ooh... I got lost on the East side of Hamilton once, at around 11 at night. It was interesting, and cold, and I had to walk for half an hour before I got to a bus that took me home. Terrible night. >.>
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:26 AM   #23
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Hamilton is a great city with a lot to explore. So many mac students only leave the McMaster area to go to limeridge mall but there is so much to explore.

Old 07-05-2009 at 01:27 AM   #24
Alvin

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by callender View Post
I think the sketchiness of Hamilton is blown out of proportion. During the day time you can go anywhere and be completely fine. There are some great places in Hamilton worth visiting, more Mac students should 'pop the bubble' and explore the city. Its not just a steel town with lots of poverty and crime as its made out to be.
I agree.

I think it's somewhat amusing and ironic to hear students call Hamilton a "sketchy city". The irony lies in the fact that the Hamiltonians are playing host to your post-secondary education here in Hamilton. The quality of life and education that your receive here at McMaster is due in a large part to the efforts of Hamiltonians. This may sound cliché, but I think we should do our part to give back to the community from which we draw lots of resources. Hamilton is actually an extremely diverse city with lots to offer...I'd just hate to see McMaster students missing out on the full university experience by avoiding a city center because of undeserved labels.
McMaster University

frhnh, Maegs all say thanks to Alvin for this post.

5footwonder, opensky like this.
Old 07-05-2009 at 01:33 AM   #25
jeffgreen

Liked: 8 Times

For those in second and third year and still think downtown is sketch, you really need to take the bus downtown. Go to a ti cat game, go to the east end and see a bar that isn't the snooty fox or Hess, walk down John st and take in some good food, go to the bagel shop on locke on a Saturday morning and peruse the shops, check out dundas durring the day for some good shopping and good eats, even up the mountain has it's perks- Chicago style pizza shack and dive alarm wings, and philthy's if you're an engineer.
There is so much more than just westdale and the student ghetto - even up wilson street there is right wingers and the best fish and chips in the city across the street from that (go down main to the lcbo an hang a left at crabby joe's).
Even Gage park is good (although only durring the day)

if you want to get to know the hammer, kick it off with the labour day classic at ivor wynne before school starts, then explore John street north where the pulse of the city is and go from there

.:callen:., KaesoPublius, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to jeffgreen for this post.

5footwonder, soltintal like this.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:07 AM   #26
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

Up the mountain is definitely better than downtown... Except there's hardly anything to do there. There's a couple of good restaurants, a mall, and, like, the only decent theater Hamilton has (Silvercity down Stone Church Rd.) Uhh... There's... Yah, that's all I have.

Oh, Lock St. is nice. There's a few antique and tea shops. It's pretty old fashioned and boring, but it's not sketchy. I'm trying to defend my city, but having a really hard time doing so.

Last edited by ytpos : 07-05-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:13 AM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
Up the mountain is definitely better than downtown... Except there's hardly anything to do there. There's a couple of good restaurants, a mall, and, like, the only decent theater Hamilton has (Silvercity down Stone Church Rd.) Uhh... There's... Yah, that's all I have.
Ooh, I forgot about the other theatre that doesn't play big movies, but indie and old stuff. It's up on Concession on the mountain.

And, maybe it's because I'm from Toronto, but Hamilton's sortakinda boring. I wouldn't walk around by myself at night downtown, that's the whole point of the sketch thing. Maybe it's different for a guy to walk around, but I had an overprotective mother growing up and so even I avoid some areas in my hometown.

I know that some Hamiltonians would probably be a little bit miffed by this thread, calling their town sketch and whatnot. But every local that I've talked to, not students btw, have agreed that downtown and the east side are a little sketchy. Toronto has sketch parts too, every city does. But like in any city, you wouldn't walk around at night by yourself if you're a young woman, that's stupidity - and unfortunately a lot of girls do and things happen. Not always, but it's a possibility.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:20 AM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgreen View Post
Even Gage park is good (although only durring the day)
Thank god you mentioned the day/night part Jeff! You do NOT want to be going to Gore park(or is it gage?) anytime past sunset, it is the central for drug dealers and prostitutes and those Biker Gang people(though they normally first station at the timmy's on King Street near Hess, you can normally see around 30-40 bikes there!)

Also Not recommended is going down Barton after Sunset or even during the latter parts of the day, the place is completely derelict and everything commercial appears to have broken down that way; It is actually rather depressing :S

But for some reason I presume the trouble with those so called sketchy places down east is multiplied if you are a member of a visible minority because most of the people I see there are stereotypical white working class who probably aren't that appreciative of the countries immigrant population; especially in the recent economic downturn where most of these people have lost their jobs and the entire industrial sector of Hamilton is in crisis. And this is not a personal observation, I had a long talk with a 70 something former steel worker on the Barton Bus a couple of weeks ago. He even reckoned that alot of the local Hamilton youth is no longer able to financially support themselves for McMaster(or academically achieve, which is indirectly linked with economic status of a community if you know basic Sociology) and instead they have been replaced by rich outsiders from those million dollar homes downshore(I suppose he meant Oakville and Burlington?) who look down on them; hence it is like having a world class university in your hometown and not having access to it, similarly he even said that a reason why he isn't a big fan of us is that: all these kids leave for Toronto and no one stays back, I suppose he meant that while we benefit from this city we give nothing but our scorn back to it.
It is this tension that has lead to the animosity of Hamilton residents towards the students(I think there was a statement by the mayor I think in the spectator against us and the MSU president replied, I can't link it cause the msu site isn't working atm) so there is a fair argument that being a Mac student in the wrong part of the city at the wrong time isn't a safe bet. It is made worse by the fact that unemployment and downgrading is rising and if I plug socio in again it is always linked to higher street crimes. So Alvin there is a reason we should be vary of people asking us for change, you cannot take it for granted that they are well meaning needy people. I've lived in Karachi where there is a massive lower income and unemployed population and I know from a mile a needy person from someone looking for quick cash because he is too lazy to work or is far too much into Drug and Alcohol addiction. And that was Karachi with no social system, this is Canada where you have much better services which apparently do provide you with shelter, food and if possible work. So the next time I see a 20 something with $100+ pumps asking me for change, I know what he wants or how dangerous he could potentially be!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

feonateresa says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:44 AM   #29
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

I work downtown, and while it isn't the most vibrant city, there's a lot to explore down there.

While there is poverty that is visually apparrent in downtown Hamilton, I hope students here won't just call it sketchy, stay away from downtown, and call it a day.

I think putting some thought into why there is poverty in Hamilton and ways to change that would be a good thing to do as students who will make this our home for 4 years and possibly more.
Old 07-05-2009 at 03:09 AM   #30
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samtheman89 View Post
I work downtown, and while it isn't the most vibrant city, there's a lot to explore down there.

While there is poverty that is visually apparrent in downtown Hamilton, I hope students here won't just call it sketchy, stay away from downtown, and call it a day.

I think putting some thought into why there is poverty in Hamilton and ways to change that would be a good thing to do as students who will make this our home for 4 years and possibly more.
Well the answer isn't that complicated actually! Hamilton was built on primary Industries which have failed due to numerous reasons in the recent past and the reason cities like Toronto are in a better shape is that they are moving into Tertiary(Services) industry or already have a firm hold in that industry. In other words, atleast to my understanding Hamilton needs Commerce. But we won't attract visitors until and unless we sort infrastructure out and most importantly however labour. Due to its label as the steel city Hamilton doesn't have alot of skilled tertiary workers! Having McMaster there would obviously apparently looks like a tremendous source of labour but the sad fact of the matter is that no one wants to stay back! Even people who were born here want to go work in Toronto or one of those office parks on the 403 I think(the road from Hamilton to Oakville to Burlington) and live wayy clear of Hamilton. Plus secondly McMaster Isn't really a Arts or Buisness school and is slightly more concerned with the Health Sector. Hence we could probably do with attracting students from Western, Guelph, Laurier or even Ryerson or Uoft who can't find employment in Toronto.

Bay Street does have potential to become the local hub however we are both short of funding and labour. I heard though that they are thinking of completely eliminating the downtown industrial parks and after cleaning the area up converting into a Waterfront Commerce District in the next 50 years or so. But I have only been here a year so I'm probably not the expert here! Anyone else has any thoughts?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Parnian likes this.