MacInsiders Logo

Ashkan Eshaghbeigi

Old 02-04-2010 at 04:34 PM   #151
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

lol, good point. I completely forgot that this year there are less candidates. Either way, good luck to the Elections Committee. Hopefully there won't be requests for recounts(one can only hope).
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:52 PM   #152
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Finally got to vote for Ash around 1:30. The poll was actually open.

Good luck in the counts Ash!

He held the door open for me again today too with just a smile which was much appreciated as I had just been bombarded earlier in the student centre by a bunch of other campaign teams shoving paper, yelling in my face etc.
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:02 PM   #153
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Ash, now that the voting period is over, can I ask you a question? I didn't want to say anything before since it's possibly a rumour and I didn't want it to affect the outcome of the vote.

About a week ago, a few of my Engineer friends told me that "Ash is trying to get the Engineers to vote, because he figured out that if 1/3 of Engineers vote, he will win". Is this true?

I know it might not seem like a big deal, and maybe I'm expecting too much from a university election, but I'd really like the MSU President to be somene who wants the right person to win for the right reasons. I don't like the idea of people just getting all their friends to vote and winning based solely on that.

I know that someone could have misunderstood or it could have been a rumour, I'm just curious if you did say this. It's not a big deal, I think you have a good shot at winning the election anyway. This has just been bugging me since I didn't want to ask until voting was done.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:21 PM   #154
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Interesting.

On a semi-related note I've heard that Engineers in particular are particular apathetic about the MSU, and MSU elections and that faculty has a low voter turnout. Perhaps he was just trying to get Engineers engaged and to vote in general, not specifically for him?
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:29 PM   #155
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Ash, you got my vote. =)

You probably see me around the ETB building, especially in one of the tutorial rooms!

You complimented our project idea last week. Was very much appreciated!

Good luck with the turnout!

nick1988 likes this.
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:10 PM   #156
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Ash and Nick thanks for letting me buy you dinner , it was well deserved after such a clean, courteous and mature campaign . Both of you are fantastic people!

nick1988 says thanks to Nosh for this post.

mellye likes this.
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:18 PM   #157
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Interesting.

On a semi-related note I've heard that Engineers in particular are particular apathetic about the MSU, and MSU elections and that faculty has a low voter turnout. Perhaps he was just trying to get Engineers engaged and to vote in general, not specifically for him?
I can whole heartedly agree with this , Ash and team did not even drop names when they spoke to people , I was in line in La Piaza today with two of them and all they said was vote in general , and at the end of the day they would be happy as long as the voter turnout was higher than the extremly low one last year .

nick1988 says thanks to Nosh for this post.
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:24 PM   #158
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosh View Post
I can whole heartedly agree with this , Ash and team did not even drop names when they spoke to people , I was in line in La Piaza today with two of them and all they said was vote in general , and at the end of the day they would be happy as long as the voter turnout was higher than the extremly low one last year .
not dropping names is a tactic to get votes from people like you.
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:36 PM   #159
nick1988

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
not dropping names is a tactic to get votes from people like you.
I guess... I'm not really sure about that though. I mean we did just want to make sure people voted. But I mean what tactic would you have wanted us to take to try to get votes? I'm just curious. Like I realize that we have to try to campaign to get votes but our hope was to not bother people too much. I guess I'm just curious as to what you would have liked us to do to campaign that would have been better.
-Nick

ps. just curious
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:46 PM   #160
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I don't think he's on, but I'm pretty confident he just said that because he felt like saying something... I mean, there is no human reason to want you guys to behave or have campaigned any better than you did. At the very least, you two made a legendary campaign in terms of class and respectability. No one could have asked anything other than what you did, so he likely just posted that comment because he got bored and felt like typing some rebuttle.

ash0000, nick1988 all say thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:55 PM   #161
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Ash, now that the voting period is over, can I ask you a question? I didn't want to say anything before since it's possibly a rumour and I didn't want it to affect the outcome of the vote.

About a week ago, a few of my Engineer friends told me that "Ash is trying to get the Engineers to vote, because he figured out that if 1/3 of Engineers vote, he will win". Is this true?

I know it might not seem like a big deal, and maybe I'm expecting too much from a university election, but I'd really like the MSU President to be somene who wants the right person to win for the right reasons. I don't like the idea of people just getting all their friends to vote and winning based solely on that.

I know that someone could have misunderstood or it could have been a rumour, I'm just curious if you did say this. It's not a big deal, I think you have a good shot at winning the election anyway. This has just been bugging me since I didn't want to ask until voting was done.

Thanks!
Its just a misunderstanding of intentions.

Basically Nick and I guesstimated that based on how Vish won last year with like 1200 votes, if I had 1000 votes from engineering (very wishful thinking), it would carry me through to the end. It was merely an estimation as to what I needed to win. It wasn't a goal or anything, it was just what we thought the winning outcome for me would need to be. We like to put things into discreet numbers, so we thought it up to understand the situation, and we mentioned it to a few of the people we know in passing.

I want to mention that I didn't really target engineering much, I spoke to 3 sections of one first year eng class, hung out in JHE one whole day last week, and thats about it. I am not friends with 1/3rd of engineering (I don't have 1000 friends). If that many people in the faculty vote for me, it is because my track record there, and my history of involvement at various levels within the faculty. If 1000 of them voted for me, it is because they have faith in my performance, not because I am an engineer or because they are my friends.

I definitely want the right person to win, I personally think that right person is me, but thats not for me to decide. I set up my platform based on my experience and observations, and I ran what I hope was perceived as a subtle and professional campaign. My intentions were to put myself out there and see if people want me as president, which is why my campaign wasn't too aggressive. If people think i'm the right one for the job I'll do my best at the job, if not, no big deal, they want someone else to do the job.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have no agenda, and will not be hurt if I lose. I've learned enough about myself in the past few weeks to say that I would do it all again exactly the same if given the chance.

Thanks for asking.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:01 AM   #162
ash0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
Ash, you got my vote. =)

You probably see me around the ETB building, especially in one of the tutorial rooms!

You complimented our project idea last week. Was very much appreciated!

Good luck with the turnout!
Thanks Walter.

I hope your project goes well.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:09 AM   #163
ash0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosh View Post
Ash and Nick thanks for letting me buy you dinner , it was well deserved after such a clean, courteous and mature campaign . Both of you are fantastic people!
Thanks for the dinner it was an awesome treat at the end of a loooooooooooong day.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:12 PM   #164
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0000 View Post
Its just a misunderstanding of intentions.

Basically Nick and I guesstimated that based on how Vish won last year with like 1200 votes, if I had 1000 votes from engineering (very wishful thinking), it would carry me through to the end. It was merely an estimation as to what I needed to win. It wasn't a goal or anything, it was just what we thought the winning outcome for me would need to be. We like to put things into discreet numbers, so we thought it up to understand the situation, and we mentioned it to a few of the people we know in passing.

I want to mention that I didn't really target engineering much, I spoke to 3 sections of one first year eng class, hung out in JHE one whole day last week, and thats about it. I am not friends with 1/3rd of engineering (I don't have 1000 friends). If that many people in the faculty vote for me, it is because my track record there, and my history of involvement at various levels within the faculty. If 1000 of them voted for me, it is because they have faith in my performance, not because I am an engineer or because they are my friends.

I definitely want the right person to win, I personally think that right person is me, but thats not for me to decide. I set up my platform based on my experience and observations, and I ran what I hope was perceived as a subtle and professional campaign. My intentions were to put myself out there and see if people want me as president, which is why my campaign wasn't too aggressive. If people think i'm the right one for the job I'll do my best at the job, if not, no big deal, they want someone else to do the job.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have no agenda, and will not be hurt if I lose. I've learned enough about myself in the past few weeks to say that I would do it all again exactly the same if given the chance.

Thanks for asking.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up.