MacInsiders Logo

Ashkan Eshaghbeigi

Old 01-27-2010 at 09:12 PM   #106
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Thanks for the kind words Katie

I wasn't lying at the debates when I said that when I leave, I want to be remembered as a rep, more than anything else. I'm really glad that thats going to be true with some people.

Last edited by ash0000 : 01-27-2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-27-2010 at 11:14 PM   #107
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

And that's why we need to keep Ash here as PREZ next year: So I hope everyone that says they are voting, will go out... Because Ash deserves every vote we can give!
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:55 AM   #108
ash0000

Thanks Mike! Tell all your friends!
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:35 PM   #109
sexyeng87

Liked: 0 Times

Andrew22 i totally agree with you. We shouldn't be voting for our president based on what he is giving up. He's an engineer. He's probably doing it so he gains even more recognition and his friends, like Nick, will have more friends and gain more popularity throughout McMaster. If you want to get more votes for Ash (not mine, that's for sure), try not to go throught it so arrogantly like opening doors for people and pretending you care. We can open doors for ourselves, and wont be compelled to vote for something because their campaign is doing so.
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:38 PM   #110
RTinkess31

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyeng87 View Post
Andrew22 i totally agree with you. We shouldn't be voting for our president based on what he is giving up. He's an engineer. He's probably doing it so he gains even more recognition and his friends, like Nick, will have more friends and gain more popularity throughout McMaster. If you want to get more votes for Ash (not mine, that's for sure), try not to go throught it so arrogantly like opening doors for people and pretending you care. We can open doors for ourselves, and wont be compelled to vote for something because their campaign is doing so.
I'm pretty sure Ash answered Andrew's comments earlier by saying that you shouldn't care about what he's giving up.

Also, how is opening doors for people arrogant?

nick1988 likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:59 PM   #111
brownj42

Most years, but obviously not the last year, the MSU runs a surplus. So knowing that may I suggest that (if you are elected) the endowment fund be run out of the MSU yearly surpluses instead of the proposed $10-$20 fee for students.

Just a thought,

James Brown
VP Finance
Inter-Residence Council 09-10
Old 01-28-2010 at 05:25 PM   #112
ash0000

Quote:

Wow, some heavy words there. I am sorry you feel so negatively about me.

I have already mentioned that you should not elect a candidate based on what they are giving up. I am certainly not running for recognition, that would be extremely silly on my part. I have already said why I am running, because I know that I can do some good for McMaster students and am mature enough to fit this role now.

Also, opening doors is our idea of non-invasively getting my face out there (people have seen enough of my antics during Welcome Week), it is campaign period after all. Opening doors has nothing to do with my platform, which I invite you to read. Our team thought it was a friendly gesture, and I am sorry if I came off as arrogant at any time you were passing through the doors.

nick1988 says thanks to ash0000 for this post.
Old 01-28-2010 at 05:30 PM   #113
ash0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownj42 View Post
Most years, but obviously not the last year, the MSU runs a surplus. So knowing that may I suggest that (if you are elected) the endowment fund be run out of the MSU yearly surpluses instead of the proposed $10-$20 fee for students.

Just a thought,

James Brown
VP Finance
Inter-Residence Council 09-10

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback! I understand that adding a fee is a bit of a controversial issue, and the fund process isn't set in stone or designed yet. Using surpluses is a good idea, but there might be an issue during years the MSU doesn't do well. We definitely will need some start-up money from the MSU in order to convince the University and external sponsors to pitch in, and this is where I see surplus money coming in.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, it will certainly be explored if I ever make to office and get to implement this initiative.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:06 PM   #114
sexyeng87

Ash, I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you particularly. I'm sure you're a great guy and you have many who seem to think so. However, I'm just concerned with people being so arrogant like some of your campaign team...like Nick, I think his name is. I mean yeah, opening doors is a nice gesture, but people should be treated like that all year round instead of just for campaign sake.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:22 PM   #115
ash0000

Arrogant behavior is something we see in most campaign teams, not necessarily intentionally. Nick is a boisterous and enthusiastic guy, so I can see if that comes off the wrong way with some people. If you have specific concerns, please feel free to PM me, and I will address them as soon as I can.

As for the campaign gimmick (and I readily admit that it is one, it would be silly if I personally thought otherwise), I do agree, people do need to be nicer and open doors for others more often, but in this case, it is simply an unintrusive way to try to put a smile on peoples faces while giving me visibility. It wont win me votes, it isn't supposed to. It might get people to check out my platform and learn about me though, and that is really what we are hoping for.

kanthamd, nick1988 all say thanks to ash0000 for this post.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:27 PM   #116
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Ash, I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you particularly. I'm sure you're a great guy and you have many who seem to think so. However, I'm just concerned with people being so arrogant like some of your campaign team...like Nick, I think his name is. I mean yeah, opening doors is a nice gesture, but people should be treated like that all year round instead of just for campaign sake.
On the note of opening doors... I believe the people on Ash's team would hold doors all year, and I think most of them have for me on at least one occasion!

I think it's much better than singing unrelated songs in class time!

nick1988 says thanks to micadjems for this post.

J-Met, kanthamd, mirj, sew12 like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:45 PM   #117
nick1988

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Hi "sexyeng87",
I am truly sorry that you feel that opening doors and my behaviour is arrogant. My behaviour when it comes to get attention for campaigning or welcome week has often been construed this way and I sincerely regret this. By no means do I want to come off like this. I simply want to entertain those around me to create positive attention for welcome week and Ash's campaign. If you have more concerns and care to voice them I would encourage you to message me personally. I don't want my antics or what you think of me to affect Ash's campaign so let's please keep these as separate issues, please.
-Nick
Old 01-28-2010 at 07:07 PM   #118
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

*snorts*

Are people actually taking issue with the fact that Ash or people on Ash's campaign team are opening doors for other students on campus?

nick1988 says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-28-2010 at 07:18 PM   #119
ash0000

I don't think its the door opening itself that was the issue.

Anyway, moving on... anyone see the Sil? I think they "covered it" adequately. Most of the main section was elections related. They even printed my article

nick1988 likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 08:56 PM   #120
TheMaster

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Sil où ette?
I have not had a chance to pick one up. No doubt your excellent editorial skills will shine through the Sil's lines like a beacon of enlightened penmanship at 299 792 458 metres per second. I look forward to reading it… and will post a critique on it sometime in the morning tomorrow.

I would also like to share that Ash has been a good friend of mine for almost 6 years. I can say that he is both fun loving and thoughtful at the same time, and at the appropriate times. He manages somehow to balance a rigorous academic schedule with an impressive weight lifting regimen, all the while maintaining presence and involvement in extra-curricular activities. Given that next year he won't technically be in school, I can only imagine the amount of energy that he would commit to revitalising the MSU.

The MSU needs a strong figurehead (both competent and charismatic). The past two years have not been the best for the presidency. I don't ever remember hearing a speech from Azim Kasmani (2008-09), nor recall seeing him in public. Vishal Tiwari (2009-10) was the popular vote and brought a strong positive image to the MSU compared to the previous year, though I can't recall any policies or actions that I associate to his administration. I think Ash can deliver what is most needed to the role of Presidency ; He has a strong presence on campus amongst various academic and extra-curricular circles ; He has great yet simple ideas that will benefit all the future students of McMaster (such as The Endowment Fund) and a working knowledge of the MSU enabling him to achieve his goals efficiently ; AND HEY? Need I mention that if you talk to him you'll realize that he is just a really great and honest guy? He's not afraid to admit errors on his part, and sometimes will even go as far as taking it for the whole team.

I've known Ash for 6 long years, and I can't think of anyone else I'd like to see elected president of the MSU, even though I am a Graduate Student.