MacInsiders Logo

Ashkan Eshaghbeigi

Old 01-24-2010 at 11:04 PM   #61
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

yah I overreacted and all and feel silly,

sometimes it is easy to be annoyed by the whole 'i'd give up medschool just to do this for you!" kinda attitude. or the resume padding might get kinda big around this kinda thing.

but i probs overreacted lol, and I am sorry. you do seem to have tons of stuff going for you in this election.
Old 01-24-2010 at 11:15 PM   #62
ash0000

Liked: 41 Times

Hi Andrew

It is easy to get wound up with this stuff. In the end this stuff should matter to you as a student, so its very fair to get aggressive about certain things, and annoyed if a candidate seems to be throwing out a guilt trip.

Again, that is not what should matter, who you feel is the best candidate should matter, and I hope you end up making a decision you are confident with.
Old 01-25-2010 at 01:21 AM   #63
ash0000

To all who are interested in meeting me in person, I will be in the MUSC from ~940-1230 tommorrow with an exception of a few class visits.

If you would like to come by and speak to me in person, I will be very glad meet you. I'll be standing with one or two supporters near the Teriyaki experience.
Old 01-25-2010 at 11:45 AM   #64
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Saw ash and co. out today... must say it's nice to see a group out there that doesnt look like an intimidating "posse"
Old 01-25-2010 at 11:54 AM   #65
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Saw ash and co. out today... must say it's nice to see a group out there that doesnt look like an intimidating "posse"
A) What's wrong with an "intimidating"(Is that the right word?) group of supporters?

B) Tell that to frosh who saw Ash & Nick's 2 hour Nut Swinging Marathons In the Art's quad during MacPass distribution! They were one of the more intimidating WW reps out there! And I don't mean that in a bad way!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-25-2010 at 12:10 PM   #66
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
A) What's wrong with an "intimidating"(Is that the right word?) group of supporters?

B) Tell that to frosh who saw Ash & Nick's 2 hour Nut Swinging Marathons In the Art's quad during MacPass distribution! They were one of the more intimidating WW reps out there! And I don't mean that in a bad way!
A) It just makes me feel uncomfortable to be approached by like 8 people in a tight group.. it's like.. there's no comfortable way to escape...

B) WW is different than Presidentials... this is supposed to be somewhat serious, as welcome week has very little to no seriousness associated with it (imo) - it should be about the ridiculousness and the fun!
Old 01-25-2010 at 12:24 PM   #67
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
A) It just makes me feel uncomfortable to be approached by like 8 people in a tight group.. it's like.. there's no comfortable way to escape...

B) WW is different than Presidentials... this is supposed to be somewhat serious, as welcome week has very little to no seriousness associated with it (imo) - it should be about the ridiculousness and the fun!
Oh okay; I didn't know that was happening! I thought you were referring to class talks!

B) True; but people still have that image in their head! I was a frosh in 08 and I still remember Casey Park as being that Big Chieftain(From Movies; Maybe it was the haircut?) Character that was excessively loud. Hence when I got onto the SRA I was like Woah! That guy! But then in less then a meeting I realized his character is completely opposite of intimidating in reality!

Same with Ash! I wasn't expecting as his platform to be this good and his answers to be this articulate! Had I judged him based on his crazy WW antics I would have been totally wrong!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 01-25-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Matt Wright says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

nick1988 likes this.
Old 01-25-2010
lorend
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-25-2010 at 01:52 PM   #68
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
B) True; but people still have that image in their head! I was a frosh in 08 and I still remember Casey Park as being that Big Chieftain(From Movies; Maybe it was the haircut?) Character that was excessively loud. Hence when I got onto the SRA I was like Woah! That guy! But then in less then a meeting I realized his character is completely opposite of intimidating in reality!
I'm happy to see that you can separate a Welcome Week personality from a workplace setting and see that Casey Park is an incredibly approachable individual. You would find, through personal interaction, that he very easy to talk to and can carry a very professional and intellectual conversation. Passion can often be misconstrued but I'm glad to see that you see the true Casey Park, Huzaifa.
Old 01-25-2010 at 04:10 PM   #69
ash0000

Quote:

During welcome week I had a job, and with any role I undertake, I do my best with it. In that case, it was helping create a welcoming and fun atmosphere. It just so happens that the best way I can do that is through ridiculousness and antics.

I am approaching role this in a similar way, the best I can. The best way I feel I can tackle this role is as professionally as I can, while leveraging the experience I have gained here. That is how my platform came to be.
Old 01-25-2010 at 04:13 PM   #70
ash0000

Quote:

Same with Ash! I wasn't expecting as his platform to be this good and his answers to be this articulate! Had I judged him based on his crazy WW antics I would have been totally wrong!
Huzaifa, I am glad you haven't judged me based on the way I perform that role. I am not the Super Plumber I was in 2007-2008 anymore, and the rep people see in Welcome Week is only one facet of my personality. One of our worries was that people wouldn't be able to recognize me as more than that image. Thanks for mentioning that!
Old 01-25-2010 at 04:16 PM   #71
ash0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
I'm happy to see that you can separate a Welcome Week personality from a workplace setting and see that Casey Park is an incredibly approachable individual. You would find, through personal interaction, that he very easy to talk to and can carry a very professional and intellectual conversation. Passion can often be misconstrued but I'm glad to see that you see the true Casey Park, Huzaifa.
Hi Matt,

While your post was in-line with the discussion, I would really appreciate it if you would put posts that are exclusively about other candidates in their own threads or the general discussion thread. I'd prefer to have this thread be a defense/discussion of my platform and my experience, and not one about other candidates.

Thanks

McIntyre likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 08:20 PM   #72
nick1988

Liked: 16 Times

Chivalry is not dead!!! Our hopes for our practice of opening doors in the MUSC will spur a few more random acts of kindness around the school. So please, if our methods put a smile on your face please pass it on! It'll make this tense campaign period that much more pleasant!

conster says thanks to nick1988 for this post.

conster, lorend, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 08:38 PM   #73
kalkerton

Liked: 15 Times

Ash, I am truly jealous of your famousness as a Welcome Week Rep.

Old 01-25-2010 at 10:10 PM   #74
taylojl

Liked: 20 Times

Ash's platform is simple and feasible. No crazy promises. There are some definate issues within the MSU, and I really feel like Ash can address them. More so than any of the other candidates. He has brought so much enthusiasm and passion to welcome week and Mac spirit in general. I'm in fourth year and barely ever hear what the MSU is actively doing. I really think that visibility as Ash's platform states is very important to a more cohesive, smoother running student government. He's running for all the right reasons. He really wants to improve student life. And I know he's capable of doing this.
:tree:

florencem., MacEng like this.