So I want to minor in Astronomy. Boolean Academics 14 06-13-2010 05:44 PM
Astronomy??? Taylor.C. Academics 1 06-09-2010 03:34 PM
Minor in Astronomy? Enge Academics 4 04-17-2010 09:27 PM

Astronomy 1F03

Old 06-05-2011 at 10:39 PM   #1
h9i9j9

Liked: 0 Times

Astronomy 1F03
I'm looking to take astronomy as an elective next year. I looked up the course, but the prof has changed. I was wondering if anyone has taken Astronomy 1F03 with Wadsley?
Is it a lot of memorizing or it the course more math based? Is it interesting?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2011 at 11:00 PM   #2
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

Here's a review for the course with Prof. Wadsley from the Reviews section of MacInsiders:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php/astron-phy-1f03-36269.html?t=36269&hi ghlight=1f03

There's more if you run a search
Old 06-05-2011 at 11:05 PM   #3
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

i took it with wadsley in term 1 of last year. the midterm and the final exam consisted of mostly short answers (need to memorize alot of content) and a few calculations. calculations were easy on both the midterm and finals.

the problem sets he hands-out are a bit of a pain. the calculations are do-able, but not easy. he doesn't go through any calculation problems during lectures and just expects you to do them on your own. the labs he hands out are somewhat easy, and again, in some of the labs the calculation questions were slightly difficult.

wadsley goes by the textbook, and he does post all his notes online. the textbook is very important in this course and a significant amount of content needs to be memorized to do well on the midterm and final.

not a easy course IMO, but the material was definitely interesting. i enjoyed it, but i wish wadsley could have eased up on the difficulty of the problem sets and labs.

Last edited by icecubz : 06-05-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2011 at 09:04 AM   #4
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Are you looking for a bird course?
This course covers a lot of material, IMO. He tells you a lot of facts, and it's really up to you to decide which ones are actually important. It's really just staying on top of things but I would be lying if I said there wasn't a lot of stuff to remember.

The course itself is not really math based, but the problem sets are. He skims over the math. You probably need internet. Some of the problem set questions come straight from the textbook, and the answers are in the back. Make use of this; I didn't.

However I would also be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the material, because I did. You also get to go to the Planetarium (kinda cool) and look through a telescope. We got to see Jupiter and its 4 moons (IRL a little underwhelming but I was still excited lol. coincidentally my favourite chapter was the one on moons) ! The midterm and final exam were fair, I think. Also I made a shitton of notes (written textbook notes/typed lecture notes/combination of the two) so if anyone needs them I'm pretty sure I can find them
Old 06-08-2011 at 09:20 PM   #5
biancax0x

Liked: 2 Times

dont bother astronomy is already full.