MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Physics yet again jntyrhds Academics 0 07-03-2010 05:51 PM
Honours Medical and Health Physics dnewton General Discussion 2 04-01-2009 09:18 PM
Honours Physics DeeNos Academics 1 02-26-2009 08:15 AM
engineering vs. physics DeeNos Academics 6 11-17-2008 02:08 AM

Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose?

Old 05-09-2009 at 01:37 AM   #1
tammy37

Liked: 1 Time

Astrophysics? Medical Physics? Honours Physics? Engineering? Which to choose?
I just finished first year life science and I'm thinking about what honours program I should go into for next year. After taking Bio 1A03 I realized that I really don't like biology and I really don't want to work in a research lab in the future or go into teaching. So I'm thinking about going into a physics related program. Honours health and medical physics sounds interesting, but I don't know if I want to be working with radiation and all that stuff later on. I want room for a minor in political science too. I was also thinking about Astrophysics which sounds interesting as well, but I don't know where that will lead me in the future. I think I want some sort of career in government or politics but I also want a science background. I wouldn't mind taking summer courses to fit the minor in (if that is permissible).

I'm really not sure where to go, I'm also thinking about just honours physics but I think it would be better if I specialized in something. I was considering engineering as well (starting again from first year) but I don't know if I can handle having 6 courses first year, and then 7 courses second year each semester. I had a teacher in high school who used to be in mac engineering and he said that you only get 3 hours of sleep if you're lucky and a lot of people don't make it through till the end...so I don't want to screw up my life and kill my GPA...

I also want to go to grad school too in the future. I'm ok at physics (got an 81 in high school), and I'm ok at math, I'm not a natural in them but I work hard. I took math 1LS3 and Physics 1L03, so I'm not sure how well I would do with hardcore physics and math courses. I just enrolled in physics 1B03 as a summer course in another university and I might take Math 1A03 and 1AA3 if I decide to go into physics. I wouldn't mind a physics and chemistry program, but I've looked in the course calendar and haven't found something like that.

So, MY QUESTION is....Can anyone give me some advice or tell me how hard the courses are in honours physics programs and what the workload is like, or what my options are for medical physics or engineering (considering my situation).

Unfortunately, I'm very indecisive and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Sorry for the very long post!

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-09-2009 at 09:51 AM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy37 View Post
I think I want some sort of career in government or politics but I also want a science background. I wouldn't mind taking summer courses to fit the minor in (if that is permissible).
Have you considered the earth sciences?
http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/geo...s/science.html

tammy37 says thanks to macsci for this post.
Old 05-09-2009 at 02:34 PM   #3
raine

Hi. First of all, I'm glad you are considering physics I just finished first year physical science and I'm intending to go on to honours medical physics next year.
I chose medical physics over honours physics because I like the uniqueness and well-roundeness of the program; I really enjoy physics but I also like biology as well and the program provides an opportunity to learn about pretty much all areas of science such as bio, biochem, chem, math, physics etc... while you get to specialize in medical physics in undergrad, which you'd usually do in grad school otherwise. I also liked their co-op program, which I might consider going into after 2nd year.
All the first year math and physics courses are not so bad. With a decent effort, you are garanteed to do very well in them. What I personally like about math and physics courses is that you get to solve problems using basic logics and understandings, which I prefer so much over just plain memorization. Also in Physics 1BA3 (or 1BB3; it's the physics course you take after physics 1B03), you get to have a little glimpse on the modern physics, which I found really enjoyable to learn So if you like math and physics, I think all the honours physics programs would be very suitable for you. The workload for medical physics is very heavy though as it is a very specialized program and you don't get much flexibility in choosing electives (as for 2nd year medical physics, you don't get any optional courses if you decided to take both Chem 2OA3/2OAB). Also majority of the courses you'll be taking is math and physics related until you get to 4th year so look into that, too. What's good about honours physics compared to med phys is that you get that flexibility for optional courses, if you like that.
What I'm worried about is that I don't think you'll have enough required courses fulfilled to go into honours physics or med phys program next year because you need to finish Math 1A03/1AA3 unless you decide to take 1AA3 during the summer (I have a friend who took Math 1LS3 in first term and he was allowed to take Math 1AA3 in second term so I think you can do that). Even if you don't get into the program next year, you can always shadow 2nd year and apply after 2nd year, which I don't think is a problem. Try e-mailing Dr. Burgess or Dr. King if you have any questions about the physics programs because they are really helpful.
Good luck with whatever choice you make and hope this helped

Last edited by raine : 05-09-2009 at 02:40 PM.

tammy37 says thanks to raine for this post.
Old 05-11-2009 at 10:52 AM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

If you're considering Engineering, be prepared for a LOT of physics. First year Eng students take a physics course each semester and in my year two math courses first semester and one second semester (although that might have changed). A lot of the other classes you take will also rely heavily on math and physics concepts.

You don't have to be a natural at either to do well in Eng, but you should be realistic about your own capability. If math and physics aren't something you enjoy then maybe it's not for you? I just finished my second year of Engineering Physics and most of my classes were ... physics... but by other names. I also managed to get more than 3 hours of sleep a night, but this really depends on your personal study habits. Contrary to popular belief, not all engineers are psychotic and work-obsessed... we do manage to have a life once in a while!

I don't know much about Math 1LS3 but from whatI've heard first year Eng math courses are much harder than math courses from any other faculty.

I hope that helped, and good luck with your choice!

tammy37 says thanks to Geek for this post.
Old 05-11-2009 at 03:04 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I just finished first year engineering and it's definitely not that bad. The second math course (1ZZ5) is mostly just read the book, do the suggested problems, and you're good. Physics is a bit harder, but manageable. If you remember crap from highschool; it helps.

Also, the first semester math course (Math 1Z04) seems like it's easy at the beginning, and you may feel like you already know stuff - but do the suggested problems anyway. I learned that the hard way and only barely managed to recover my mark to a decent grade in that class (9).

Other than that, all the engineering specific courses are pretty straight forward. If you understand the absolute basics of programming and possess some ability to draw; you're good.

tammy37 says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.
Old 05-11-2009 at 06:50 PM   #6
tammy37

Thanks so much to all of you!!
You've really helped me in deciding......right now I'm thinking either Medical Physics or Engineering, but im leaning more towards engineering.
Old 05-12-2009 at 01:23 AM   #7
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Be careful if you're deciding on a physics related program. Your math skills have to be pretty decent for the simple reason that the math courses lag behind the physics courses (a flaw in the physics department).

For instance, back in the day when I took Physics 2B06 in 2nd year...I had to 'co-register' in Calculus 3, Math 2A03 (now 2X03). The problem is, you require a full knowledge of calc 3 to do some of the physics problems. In other words, it should really be a pre-requisite, not a co-requisite...and the prof wasn't the most sympathetic, so that just made things worse. I remember my class's 2nd midterm had a 32% average...that course was a pretty rocky ride.

Not saying it's inadvisable or anything, but I've seen a few of my friends go "Hey, I like physics because I got a 90 in it" then when they actually switch, they have a really tough time because they're caught off-guard...there is a huge shift in the course expectations from first to second year.

(Just FYI, here's the course website for Physics 2B06 (the toughest 2nd year physics in my opinion...if you believe you can handle this, you're good for physics / medical physics): http://www.physics.mcmaster. ca/phy...Intro2b06.html)

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-12-2009 at 01:27 AM.

tammy37 says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 05-12-2009 at 02:03 AM   #8
tammy37

Thanks so much Mowicz, you're definitely right that skill is required and I really appreciate your advice about the Math 2A03 course.

I was looking on the link you posted and all I found was contact information, there was no content or course material. Maybe I can't see it because I am not registered in the course?

Thanks again =)
Old 05-13-2009 at 03:04 AM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Sorry, they removed some content after exams...I would assume it's so that people don't 'steal' the solutions etc. for next years class. I didn't check carefully enough before I posted it.

Do you have the first year Physics text by any chance? (The one by Knight) Very good book, my favourite physics text (in terms of being well written), and since the physics questions aren't on the webpage, you can flip through the textbook to help make your decision a little clearer.

I had a chat with my friend from Med Phys and had a little more advice to give as a result of our conversation:

Physics is a wonderful subject. Medical Physics incorporates a lot of physics, some chemistry, bio, and some specialized courses relating to industry. My friend regrets not going into Core Physics, because as he described it, it's a 'watered down physics program, with some med phys courses that are a bit boring.'

Of course this isn't to say Med Phys is a bad program...on the contrary. My friend simply found that he perferred the physics aspect, and now the other courses are merely 'electives' that are chosen for him. But if you check the course calendar and look at upper year courses, and really like the content (perhaps you should also do a search for "medical physics" and "health physics" and how things are in the industry. I highly recommend doing the co-op option as well, the experiences are amazing even if you're not all that into it), then you can really thrive in Med Phys. Otherwise, I'd suggest re-considering Core Physics.

**And of course I'm not meaning to downplay engineering, I simply have no experience with the program, haha. Make sure you consider that too...but I guess the take home point from me is: Cross check your choices with your personal interests and you can't go wrong.

(http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1883.html is the undergraduate calendar listing for Med Phys...it shows the requirements and you can click the course codes to check out descriptions of the courses. In particular, check the ones with a "MED PHYS" prefix as these are the specialized courses, unique to the program)

tammy37 says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 05-14-2009 at 02:11 AM   #10
tammy37

Thanks again Mowicz, that's a lot of useful information!
I actually don't have that first year textbook since I'm currently taking 1B03 in a different uni. I truly appreciate your time and you've made my decision making a little easier