MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1D04 Course Equivalency - Athabasca Comp 268 ritsma Academics 4 06-02-2011 09:53 AM
Athabasca uni? Please help soody Academics 3 05-31-2011 10:04 PM
Experiences with Athabasca University? blackdragon Academics 16 05-04-2011 03:08 PM
Athabasca ? Kathy2 Academics 4 04-24-2011 07:33 PM
Athabasca Transfer Credit missmatch Academics 4 04-14-2009 11:34 PM

Athabasca!!

Old 06-15-2011 at 04:32 PM   #16
Ashlie

Liked: 10 Times

Hi There,

Two summers ago I took an Athabasca course that was the equivalent of two courses here at Mac - I was able to finish in the four months, working hard, but not working every waking hour of every day. Plus I took a summer course here at Mac during that time and worked part time. The course was the equivalent to Bio2A03 (physiology) and a general second year science course.
I paid $1,000 for the 6 unit course, which is on par with what you would pay here at Mac (~$500/3units). I paid an extra $100 in total for invigilation fees ($25/test) at Sheridan College in Oakville.
Although it does take a few weeks for them to send over your transcript, there was a page online that showed you had completed the course and that was good enough for the Science office to see that I had "passed." Also keep in mind that although Athabasa courses are pass/fail, sometimes that mark is a 60..not a 50 like some would think. As well, if you are hoping to apply to grad/professional schools, they require all marks and therefore you would need to submit a transcript from Athabasa, as well as McMaster, so they would end up seeing what your final mark was either way.

hope that was useful, good luck!
Old 06-19-2011 at 01:35 PM   #17
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
Hi There,

Two summers ago I took an Athabasca course that was the equivalent of two courses here at Mac - I was able to finish in the four months, working hard, but not working every waking hour of every day. Plus I took a summer course here at Mac during that time and worked part time. The course was the equivalent to Bio2A03 (physiology) and a general second year science course.
I paid $1,000 for the 6 unit course, which is on par with what you would pay here at Mac (~$500/3units). I paid an extra $100 in total for invigilation fees ($25/test) at Sheridan College in Oakville.
Although it does take a few weeks for them to send over your transcript, there was a page online that showed you had completed the course and that was good enough for the Science office to see that I had "passed." Also keep in mind that although Athabasa courses are pass/fail, sometimes that mark is a 60..not a 50 like some would think. As well, if you are hoping to apply to grad/professional schools, they require all marks and therefore you would need to submit a transcript from Athabasa, as well as McMaster, so they would end up seeing what your final mark was either way.
hope that was useful, good luck!
I'm planning on taking something similar to what you took, BIO 235 (equivalent to our anatomy and physiology courses) and it states online that there are 3 mid terms and a final exam. So would I have to pay for an inviligator for EACH of those tests :S That seems to be really expensive to me so I'm not sure much it's really worth it to take it online now. What's your opinion? Like are you glad you took it online?
Old 06-19-2011 at 03:17 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
I'm planning on taking something similar to what you took, BIO 235 (equivalent to our anatomy and physiology courses) and it states online that there are 3 mid terms and a final exam. So would I have to pay for an inviligator for EACH of those tests :S That seems to be really expensive to me so I'm not sure much it's really worth it to take it online now. What's your opinion? Like are you glad you took it online?
Yep, you'd have to pay for each one. However, keep in mind that invigilation fees can vary, so maybe call a few that are nearby and check their rates. Here's the list for Ontario: http://www.athabascau.ca/registrar/invignet/on.php