MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upper Year student taking First Year course julianface Academics 2 06-15-2011 12:53 AM
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM

AUTO CAD for upper year engineering ??

Old 06-21-2012 at 09:05 PM   #1
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

AUTO CAD for upper year engineering ??
So i had this one question in mind. I am currently planning to do computer engineering. I read a few reviews on few topics related to work areas for the two ( EE and CE ).
This question might just seem off topic but i did read it from a legit source although nothing was clearly specified, but here's hoping someone would help me out !!!

# do CE or EE ever come across working with AUTO CAD designing software ??
Old 06-21-2012 at 09:49 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

If you like Inventor style that's mainly mechanical.
Old 06-21-2012 at 10:00 PM   #3
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I don't think ece people deal with autocad, they deal with other softwares like matlab, multisim...they also work a lot with computers. Sometimes they use the oscilloscope to test their circuits, they also use other programs for circuit analysis.
I am pretty sure mechanical eng students deal with autocad and other related software like catia, cad/cam..
Old 06-21-2012 at 10:34 PM   #4
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I have never used AutoCAD since first year. We work mainly with MATLAB and PSpice. I used Multisim as well but McMaster doesn't teach nor provide the software.

Jim pretty much said it all. We use the oscilloscope most of the time.
Old 06-21-2012 at 10:41 PM   #5
jp1390

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
I have never used AutoCAD since first year. We work mainly with MATLAB and PSpice. I used Multisim as well but McMaster doesn't teach nor provide the software.

Jim pretty much said it all. We use the oscilloscope most of the time.
The Sedra textbook includes Multisim which is a hell of a lot better than PSpice.
Old 06-21-2012 at 10:55 PM   #6
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

But that course still uses PSpice.

While i dont know about using AutoCad in class , I've seen some engineering job decriptions for elec that wanted autocad
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:44 PM   #7
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

thats exactly what i read here ( http://www.ee.byu.edu/academic/elec_vs_comp , TABLE OF CONTENT#8 : What is the Job Situation? )

But i guess its not that very common among EE/CE !!
Old 06-22-2012 at 12:14 AM   #8
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
thats exactly what i read here ( http://www.ee.byu.edu/academic/elec_vs_comp , TABLE OF CONTENT#8 : What is the Job Situation? )

But i guess its not that very common among EE/CE !!
Electronic design automation (ECAD) is different than AutoCad Mechanical. EE/CEs use softwares to help them build and test circuits. I could be wrong here, but I don't think an electrical engineer would be interested working with autocad (mechanical) designing mechanical objects. Electrical and computer engineers are interested in circuit analysis, not mechanical design!
I should also note that AutoCad is a big software, it includes sub-softwares like AutoCad mechanical used by mechanical engineers to design mechanical objects. It also includes AutoCad Electrical which some EEs use to build and test their circuits.

jp1390 likes this.
Old 06-22-2012 at 06:55 AM   #9
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Never used autocad in the first three years of elec, but man did i have to learn fast last summer for my co op! the program is very easy to use.