MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Avenue To Learn Question nemo123 Academics 4 09-08-2010 07:52 PM
No courses found on elm/"avenue to learn" Rakim Academics 10 09-07-2010 07:34 AM
Avenue to Learn polo Academics 7 08-29-2010 07:19 PM
Psych Quiz on Avenue to Learn logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-18-2010 09:16 PM
Avenue to Learn Matt Wright MacInsiders Announcements 24 06-04-2010 01:47 PM

Avenue to Learn Sneak Peak.

Old 06-16-2010 at 06:26 PM   #15
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
why would they keep the same design as elm, which obviously elicits bad memories of epic failure. they should start fresh =)
they clearly didn't take psych and learn about conditioning

AnnaWM, mary357, resh.jyoti like this.

Old 06-16-2010 at 07:29 PM   #16
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times
"Avenue to learn"? - What a horrible name. Aside from the pure cheesiness, what am I supposed to call it? ATL? LMS? That's two full syllables more than ELM... Two full syllables! Do you know how much more time I'm going to waste during the day saying ATL...

Old 06-16-2010 at 07:33 PM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
webct was three syllables...

*sigh*

as if that makes it better

Old 06-16-2010 at 07:37 PM   #18
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
webct was three syllables...

*sigh*

as if that makes it better
WebCT was before my time, but seriously... Of all the things they could have come up with in their "contest"... any simple but elegant title that could be condensed into a recognizable, one syllable word, like ELM, but they decide to go with "Avenue to Learn"...

Old 06-16-2010 at 07:40 PM   #19
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Well, we could get creative and call it 'alt', which is one syllable

i'll prob call it elm for at least first term, especially if they look so similar...I'm pretty sure the only reason i didn't call elm 'webct' is because i kept CURSING elm, with a rage I never had for webct.

Old 06-16-2010 at 08:42 PM   #20
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times
Ooooh I actually like the name!

Old 06-16-2010 at 08:45 PM   #21
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times
IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE ELM! IT IS ELM!

the devil's greatest trick was convincing the world he did not exist!

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

AnnaWM, mcmastergcdb like this.

Old 06-16-2010 at 09:37 PM   #22
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times
It won't let me log in...
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Old 06-16-2010 at 10:56 PM   #23
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times
Speaking of ELM, it just died... I was finishing my last quiz too! =(

Old 06-16-2010 at 10:57 PM   #24
IbrahimH

Liked: 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Speaking of ELM, it just died... I was finishing my last quiz too! =(
Yup. ELM's server just crashed while I was doing my physics practice exam. Fail. My exam is tomorrow. -_-

Old 06-16-2010 at 11:00 PM   #25
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times
Lol I just doing the last question of CAPA!

WHY CAN'T ELM JUST GO AWAY PEACEFULLY

Old 06-16-2010 at 11:37 PM   #26
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
< begin branding lesson >

The name
First off, Avenue To Learn isn't too bad, but it's short form (ATL) doesn't flow really nice, and saying "Your tests can be found on Avenue" sounds bad too. You really can't short form it, so that's a negative.

Don't try and be smart
Wait, what's that? A VENUE to learn? Is it a venue or an avenue? Stop trying to confuse! Your play on words is not cute, funny or smart, it's really really lame. When creating a new brand you need to eliminate all confusion from it... you can't introduce a new brand that has two meanings or two ways to say it! As mentioned before, it's like the Quarters rebranding issue with their name.

Logo
As a graphic designer and someone who's worked at McMaster in web/graphic design, I'm also horrified by that logo... a rounded bubble font? Really? That does not fit McMaster's branding manual and looks really unprofessional... at least go with Helvetica or the Univers font!

User Interface
As other users have pointed out, if you're replacing a shotty bad product... never ever use the same design or look/feel of that bad product! Doing so leaves a negative vibe and bad first impression, plus it makes the project seem like you're putting putting lipstick on a pig, whatever you want to call it. Get a designer to make a new homepage that looks really nice and uses CSS.

My guess is that the following happened: The group that runs ELM (Centre for Leadership in Learning) also runs the new LMS Avenue To Learn, and that homepage you see on avenue.mcmaster.ca was neither ELM nor is the new Avenue, it's just a homepage created by the LMS (learning mgmt system) team at McMaster to be the 'launching page' to get into the system itself. The page is just basic html and has a login box that uses McAuth to let you login using your macid. Thus, they decided to just stick to their old launch page design so technically it LOOKS like ELM, but I bet once you login (I haven't been able to) a popup window will open like Mugsi, or it will redirect to the new Avenue to Learn system which will look nothing like ELM.

Spell Check!
I know this is probably not considered a 'live' page yet, since we probably weren't yet supposed to see this site since Avenue hasn't officially launched, but for goodness sake.. spell check! Nothing makes your new brand look sloppy than a spelling mistake, especially in your own brand name (The following policies and terms apply to all Aveune users)

< / end branding lesson>

DannyV, Ownaginatios, Vic.And all say thanks to Chad for this post.

Old 06-17-2010 at 07:26 AM   #27
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
(The following policies and terms apply to all Aveune users)
lol, that reminds me of when I bought a gigabyte brand video card a few years ago. They spelled their name "giagbyte" multiple times on the box.

Old 06-17-2010 at 08:21 AM   #28
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branding Manual
PMS Cool Grey 11 C
/giggle

Old 06-17-2010 at 10:43 AM   #29
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times
Why weren't we able to VOTE on the name? Letting us submit names was a great idea. But we should have a say then on what the final name should be. A-T-L sounds horrible and it could mean:

Active Template Library, from Microsoft
Alternating-time Temporal Logic, a branching-time temporal logic that naturally describes computations of multi-agent system and multiplayer games
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Above the line (advertising), an advertising strategy
Across the Line (BBC Radio Ulster), a BBC Northern Ireland music brand
ATL (band), an R&B boy band
Above the Law (group), a Los Angeles-based rap group
All Time Low, a pop-punk band from Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland
Among the Living, an album by Anthrax (band)
A Thousand Leaves, an album by Sonic Youth
Advanced tactical laser, a US military program to mount a high energy laser weapon on an aircraft for use against ground targets
Americans for Technology Leadership, an organization that advocates limited government regulation of technology
Automated Tape Library, used by IBM and others to represent a computer backup tape robot

Courteous of wiki.

My favorite is that its the short for Atlanta.

Who made this decision anyway?

I say we BASH BASH BASH

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search