MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Avenue To Learn Question nemo123 Academics 4 09-08-2010 07:52 PM
No courses found on elm/"avenue to learn" Rakim Academics 10 09-07-2010 07:34 AM
Avenue to Learn polo Academics 7 08-29-2010 07:19 PM
Psych Quiz on Avenue to Learn logans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-18-2010 09:16 PM
Avenue to Learn Matt Wright MacInsiders Announcements 24 06-04-2010 01:47 PM

Avenue to Learn Sneak Peak.

Old 06-17-2010 at 11:22 AM   #30
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Why weren't we able to VOTE on the name? Letting us submit names was a great idea. But we should have a say then on what the final name should be. A-T-L sounds horrible and it could mean:

Active Template Library, from Microsoft
Alternating-time Temporal Logic, a branching-time temporal logic that naturally describes computations of multi-agent system and multiplayer games
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Above the line (advertising), an advertising strategy
Across the Line (BBC Radio Ulster), a BBC Northern Ireland music brand
ATL (band), an R&B boy band
Above the Law (group), a Los Angeles-based rap group
All Time Low, a pop-punk band from Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland
Among the Living, an album by Anthrax (band)
A Thousand Leaves, an album by Sonic Youth
Advanced tactical laser, a US military program to mount a high energy laser weapon on an aircraft for use against ground targets
Americans for Technology Leadership, an organization that advocates limited government regulation of technology
Automated Tape Library, used by IBM and others to represent a computer backup tape robot

Courteous of wiki.

My favorite is that its the short for Atlanta.

Who made this decision anyway?

I say we BASH BASH BASH
My guess is that somebody high up- with an incredibly poor sense of humor- chuckled at the fact that "Avenue" could also mean "A Venue", and this horrible name was chosen.

Last edited by D-Student : 06-17-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Old 06-17-2010 at 11:47 AM   #31
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Why weren't we able to VOTE on the name? Letting us submit names was a great idea. But we should have a say then on what the final name should be.
Democracy? What, do you think we're in Canada or something?

I agree though. We get to vote on a bunch of other school-related things, but I guess this wasn't big enough of a deal, and I can't imagine CLL running some sort of MSU-style poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Student
My guess is that somebody high up- with an incredibly poor sense of humor- chuckled at the fact that "Avenue" could also mean "A Venue", and this horrible name was chosen.
I'll admit I sort of smiled after I realized this (and by that, I mean when I was made aware of it by reading earlier posts), but the joke will probably get stale after three more years with it.

On a completely unrelated note, :( at my posts/thanked/likes/liked count being not being as pretty after this. Currently sitting at 295/25/75/135, but 296 makes it ugly. =\

Old 06-17-2010 at 12:14 PM   #32
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
Oh man, that's hilarious avenue to learn! HURRR HURRR!!

No but srsly, they should change the name. I still vote for the name 'MEOW' someone suggested before.

I even made a 2-second little logo thing:

There, just saved McMaster what would have probably cost them 'a several figure number'.

Derp.

Old 06-17-2010 at 12:18 PM   #33
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Oh man, that's hilarious avenue to learn! HURRR HURRR!!

No but srsly, they should change the name. I still vote for the name 'MEOW' someone suggested before.

I even made a 2-second little logo thing:

There, just saved McMaster what would have probably cost them 'a several figure number'.

Derp.
I'm more a fan of...

Fully Automated and Integrative Learning

... which is likely what the system will turn out to be..

Old 06-17-2010 at 08:24 PM   #34
salimak

Liked: 21 Times
I don't care about the name I just want to be able to log into my course before the first day of class, and within the first month without "transition" problems.

Old 06-18-2010 at 10:35 PM   #35
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times
hey all...

the login button has been updated, can someone try logging in and take a screenshot of the new system and upload it here?? Being an alumni my macid wont work.

Old 06-18-2010 at 10:43 PM   #36
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
hey all...

the login button has been updated, can someone try logging in and take a screenshot of the new system and upload it here?? Being an alumni my macid wont work.

Old 06-18-2010 at 10:45 PM   #37
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

It actually doesn't seem too bad so far. It has a schedule feature, where you can make a calendar, a locker to store files and what appears to be email integration :o.

Edit: Someone change the :o emoticon to represent the :0 face better.

Edit 2: OMG we can have an avatar :o

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 06-18-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Old 06-18-2010 at 10:51 PM   #38
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Looks promising, I admit. I hope I'm not let down.. my hopes are always dashed and scattered all over the floor..

Old 06-19-2010 at 10:11 AM   #39
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Definitely looks different from ELM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-capture.jpg (24.9 KB, 32 views)

Old 06-19-2010 at 05:10 PM   #40
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times
I like changing the fonts. Mine looks so much classier now. Georgia, 12 pt for the win. And for the next time I lose my glasses: Georgia 30 pt.

Edit: I also really like how clean everything looks. It reminds me of the first time I used Maccess. I don't know why I want some high def pictures of...mac trees on there, but apart from that whim, it seems really straightforward, professional and just a lot better looking than that list of courses that was organized in whatever random order the ELM algorithm saw fit to generate at that time.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 06-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Old 06-19-2010 at 08:05 PM   #41
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Glad it actually works! Definitely looks much better than ELM to me. I really like the schedule feature and email integration into it. Looks promising.. I just hope it turns out to be more reliable than ELM =/

Old 06-19-2010 at 08:15 PM   #42
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

OMG. It has a little dialog that tells you that you've been inactive for too long and you just press "Okay" to stay logged in. That after about 3 hours of inactivity. I love this.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 06-19-2010 at 08:48 PM   #43
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
OMG. It has a little dialog that tells you that you've been inactive for too long and you just press "Okay" to stay logged in. That after about 3 hours of inactivity. I love this.
Oh finally! I hated how ELM logged me out randomly after being inactive =/! On the other hand.. you were on it for 3 hours =S?!

Old 06-19-2010 at 08:57 PM   #44
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Oh finally! I hated how ELM logged me out randomly after being inactive =/! On the other hand.. you were on it for 3 hours =S?!
I can't get enough of that learning.
No I tend to leave things on and fall asleep. ELM, Facebook, MacInsiders, MSN, email etc. When I woke up from a 2 hour nap, I was online and I got that dialogue 1 hour after that

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search