MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3.8 Average JakeWill Academics 7 06-04-2010 10:34 PM
sessional average? maryam17 Academics 1 05-01-2010 04:40 PM
cumulative average mtristani Academics 6 03-04-2010 07:09 PM
4.0 average wonnamp Financial Aid 36 02-01-2010 01:11 AM
Admission Cut Off Average Daisydawne18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 04-11-2008 08:32 PM

Average to keep in Humanities

Old 09-28-2010 at 10:35 PM   #16
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I'm pretty sure I heard it's a 3.0 before they tell you to gtfo.
If your average is below a 3, IN ANY FREAKING FACULTY, they kick you out.

Old 09-28-2010 at 10:37 PM   #17
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
If your average is below a 3, IN ANY FREAKING FACULTY, they kick you out.
haha TRUE. You have to maintain a 3.5 at least in humanities.
Old 09-28-2010 at 11:08 PM   #18
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
haha TRUE. You have to maintain a 3.5 at least in humanities.
Nice.
I know that in Eng, you need a 3.9 or you can't continue (you are allowed to go to a different faculty, though), not too certain about others, though I think some are similar.

Old 09-28-2010 at 11:09 PM   #19
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

it sucks how the university doesn't put a lot of emphasis on how certain marks for certain courses play a major role in your 2nd year programs. there was a lot of first years last year who never realized that one of their first semester courses (which they felt wasn't quite as important) was actually really important mark for their program.

you should research what program you want to go into next year and what grade point average you need overall AND for certain courses

danallan, lizziepizzie like this.
Old 09-29-2010 at 09:35 AM   #20
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodywarz View Post
it sucks how the university doesn't put a lot of emphasis on how certain marks for certain courses play a major role in your 2nd year programs. there was a lot of first years last year who never realized that one of their first semester courses (which they felt wasn't quite as important) was actually really important mark for their program.

you should research what program you want to go into next year and what grade point average you need overall AND for certain courses
Honestly its not the University's job to hold your hand and make sure you know what you need to do to get into a 2nd year program. That said they do have lots of things in place to help students if they do need it, students just need to take the initiative to get help if they need it.

They have academic councellors and really all the information you need is available online, you just have to look for it.

They also advertise a lot of their services and try and get information out there but students just don't pay attention to it, they think they don't need it or they just don't care until they're in a bind and they're like damn, why didn't anyone tell me?

You're paying money to come to University and major in something, don't you think you should be responsible enough to find out what you need to do to get into that particular major?

If you wanna major in History for arguments sake you'd think you'd take 5 minutes out to look up the requirements and asses your situation.

danallan likes this.
Old 09-29-2010 at 09:44 AM   #21
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Nice.
I know that in Eng, you need a 3.9 or you can't continue (you are allowed to go to a different faculty, though), not too certain about others, though I think some are similar.
Commerce/Business I you need at least a 5.0 to move on, and cannot fail the 6 mandatory classes.
I don't know about others though.
Old 09-29-2010 at 09:49 AM   #22
sew12
Elite Member

http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...ate/index.html

That's the page with the answer to the original question btw.

I'll copy and paste here (and I don't know why that picture is there but it was on the site, lol):

Quote:

Undergraduate Programs

The Faculty of Humanities offers undergraduate programs leading to four different degrees. They are:
  • Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
  • Single Honours Bachelor of Arts (Single Hons B.A.)
  • Single Honours Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.)
  • Combined Honours Bachelor of Arts
    (Combined Hons B.A.)
A B.A. degree usually takes a total of 3 year's full-time study, and students focus on one subject. A Single Honours usually requires a total of 4 year's full-time study, with the student concentrating on one subject. The Combined Honours option also normally takes 4 years of full-time study and allows students to focus on two subjects equally. It is possible to combine two subjects from the Faculty of Humanities or one subject from Humanities with another from the Faculty of Social Sciences.

Students do not have all three degree options in every Humanities discipline. Some subjects (Linguistics and Multimedia, for example) are only offered at the Honours level (Single and Combined) while Peace Studies and Cultural Studies and Critical Theory are offered as a Combined Honours programs only and must be taken with another subject. Click on the subject links (left) for program details.
Minors

If students in Honours programs concentrate a sufficient number of elective courses in one area during their degree, they may have the option of declaring a Minor in that subject upon graduation. Minors usually require the completion of 6 units of Level I courses and a further 18 units of upper level courses in a subject.
Admission to Programs in Level II

Students entering the Faculty of Humanities take a general Level I program. They apply for entrance to a specific B.A. or Honours program at the end of their first year and must meet the requirements for that program. Eligibility for degree programs is governed by the student's choice of courses and academic performance in Level I. The general requirements for Humanities programs are:
  • Completion of any Level I program with the necessary Cumulative Average (at least 6.0 for Honours programs, 3.5 for a B.A.).
  • Completion of at least 6 units of Level I courses in the program subject (or 6 units in each of the two subjects for Combined Honours) with the necessary minimum grades (7.0 for Honours programs, 4.0 for a B.A.). Some programs (such as Art) may have additional course requirements.
Note that Multimedia is a limited enrolment program. Entrance is competitive and is based on academic achievement, so the stated minimum requirements may not be sufficient to guarantee admission to the program.
Note: As of September 2009 no new students will be accepted into the Comparative Literature or Women's Studies programs. Comparative Literature courses will continue to be offered as part of the English program. Women's Studies courses will continue to be offered, and students may complete a Minor in Women's Studies.
Old 09-29-2010 at 09:51 AM   #23
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

I completely agree with this. Its YOUR respnsibility to know what you need to take and what you don't. I've seen academic councelors lots of times, they're there to HELP YOU. I wasn't positive what I needed to take so I took a bunch of ekectives with courses that genuinely interested me, and its lucky that what a person is interested in is usually your major! But you also need to look into what else you want to take in regards to electives. But I took Peace Studies 1B03 last term and now its offered as a second year class. So its not counted as a pre-req anymore to get into 2nd year peace studies classes WHICH SUCKS becasue that messes up my schedule.... ANYWAY, back to the point. I understand that when you're in grade 12 the whole university thing is way overwhelming and you're just concentrating on APPLYING nevermind what specific class you need. In first year you only need a few of the courses you're going to major in so take some electives, get your feet wet, once you find out what you NEED then go talk to an academic councellor and change your classes fr 2nd sem, or see one a couple weeks into the year and change them 1st sem.

danallan likes this.
Old 09-29-2010 at 03:31 PM   #24
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

well i guess you do have a point...in my case i had someone already aready at mac who helped me with this stuff but most the people i know back in first year just didnt realize the fact that you have "programs" in which you break into 2nd year.. lol i guess it is there fault for putting more effort into finding out about these things but i still feel the uni should have informed the students at the start about how they have to look into their future programs.
Old 09-29-2010 at 03:35 PM   #25
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Honestly its not the University's job to hold your hand and make sure you know what you need to do to get into a 2nd year program. That said they do have lots of things in place to help students if they do need it, students just need to take the initiative to get help if they need it.

They have academic councellors and really all the information you need is available online, you just have to look for it.

They also advertise a lot of their services and try and get information out there but students just don't pay attention to it, they think they don't need it or they just don't care until they're in a bind and they're like damn, why didn't anyone tell me?

You're paying money to come to University and major in something, don't you think you should be responsible enough to find out what you need to do to get into that particular major?

If you wanna major in History for arguments sake you'd think you'd take 5 minutes out to look up the requirements and asses your situation.
My requirements: to move on to the next level, all you need is 24 units from the previous year.
And somehow I'm still stuck in 2nd year.

Sorry, that's the university's fault, not mine.

If you need a full 30 units from first year to move onto 3rd year but not 2nd, then that should be specified somewhere. >_<

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-29-2010 at 04:26 PM   #26
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
My requirements: to move on to the next level, all you need is 24 units from the previous year.
And somehow I'm still stuck in 2nd year.

Sorry, that's the university's fault, not mine.

If you need a full 30 units from first year to move onto 3rd year but not 2nd, then that should be specified somewhere. >_<
How the heck is it Mac's fault you're still stuck in limbo?

They set out requirements to get into each program and anyone who wants to get into that program has to complete them.

Also what does your situation have to do with other people finding out the requirements they need to satisfy to get into a 2nd year program?
Old 09-29-2010 at 04:33 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

They set out requirements to get into each program and anyone who wants to get into that program has to complete them.

Also what does your situation have to do with other people finding out the requirements they need to satisfy to get into a 2nd year program?
I'm pretty sure she's saying that you only need 24 units to go from level 1 to level 2 but you need 60 units in total to go from level 2 to level 3. But it doesn't state that anywhere in the undergraduate calendar.

lawleypop says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 09-29-2010 at 04:36 PM   #28
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:

And the 2nd year requirements were met. Or is it that too hard to comprehend when it's explicitly stated?

Situation would be the same insofar as the 2nd year requirements were laid-out (24 units) and satisfied. But the topic totally can't be extended to requirements for 3rd year. Totally.

lawleypop says thanks to eullwm for this post.
Old 09-29-2010 at 04:49 PM   #29
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

No, I'm rebutting to your "it's not their job to hold your hand" but it's not like they make it ****ing obvious. I shouldn't have to make an appointment to find out my requirements just to advance, that should be easily accessible to everyone. How are you missing that point?

Yes, their requirements were "To move on to the next level of your program, you need to complete 24 units of the previous year."

ie: move onto 2nd, you need 24 units from 1st year. To move onto 3rd, you need 24 units from 2nd year. I have 27 and 27. Thus it would lead me to believe that I should have been able to move on into 3rd year. Because asides from shit about your CA, that is the ONLY thing it says about requirements.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure she's saying that you only need 24 units to go from level 1 to level 2 but you need 60 units in total to go from level 2 to level 3. But it doesn't state that anywhere in the undergraduate calendar.
Pretty much, but it's not even about 60 units. To get into 3rd year, you need your full 30 units from first year. Second year doesn't matter, as long as you have the 24.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-29-2010 at 05:03 PM   #30
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
No, I'm rebutting to your "it's not their job to hold your hand" but it's not like they make it ****ing obvious. I shouldn't have to make an appointment to find out my requirements just to advance, that should be easily accessible to everyone. How are you missing that point?

Yes, their requirements were "To move on to the next level of your program, you need to complete 24 units of the previous year."

ie: move onto 2nd, you need 24 units from 1st year. To move onto 3rd, you need 24 units from 2nd year. I have 27 and 27. Thus it would lead me to believe that I should have been able to move on into 3rd year. Because asides from shit about your CA, that is the ONLY thing it says about requirements.

Pretty much, but it's not even about 60 units. To get into 3rd year, you need your full 30 units from first year. Second year doesn't matter, as long as you have the 24.
The Undergraduate Calender says that as effective of this year, you need 30 units, not 24. I don't know if this applies to you since you should currently be in third year. Its on page 41 of the Undergraduate Calender.