MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Life Science vs Honours Biology and Psychology Mac2012! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2012 07:58 PM
Honours Chemistry or Honours Chemical Biology? (Undergrad) Porsche Academics 21 07-12-2010 02:25 AM
Cumulative Average/ Honours Life Sci DMe3 Academics 1 06-15-2010 10:29 AM
Honours Molecular Bio and Genetics vs. Honours Biology (Physiology Specialization) kritters91 Academics 4 06-10-2010 07:42 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM

Average salary earning in Honours Biology

Old 03-30-2013 at 09:40 PM   #1
lovekblue

Liked: 7 Times

Average salary earning in Honours Biology
Is there anywhere I can check out the average earning for each type of jobs??
How much can you earn if you choose honours biology and do well in this program GIVEN THAT I ENJOY BEING IN THIS PROGRAM.

Last edited by lovekblue : 03-30-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2013 at 09:46 PM   #2
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

Anywhere from $10-13/hr.

That's how much lab positions pay these days. If you really love biology though, the money you earn won't really matter...it's how passionate you are in the end that matters the most.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 03-30-2013 at 09:49 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekblue View Post
Is there anywhere I can check out the average earning for each type of jobs??
How much can you earn if you choose honours biology and do well in this program?
You can do so many different careers. It really all depends on what you do AFTER honours bio.

How much can you earn? You can be a multimillionaire or be broke and homeless, or anything in between. If you want a job related to your degree though, you are most likely going to need to do some sort of education afterwards.

If you have specific jobs in mind you can google job title + salary + ontario or something along those lines, or google job postings for those types of positions and see what salaries they're offering.

I'd really recommend against using salary as a way to pick a career direction, though.

PockyWarrior, Sam-I-am like this.
Old 03-30-2013 at 10:09 PM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

http://www.livingin-canada.com/salar...ts-canada.html

lovekblue says thanks to MacPack for this post.
Old 03-30-2013 at 10:19 PM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

The glass door.

Good to know we have such interest driven individuals in the upcoming generation! Surely your findings will have the scientific community in awe!
Old 03-30-2013 at 10:55 PM   #6
lovekblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
You can do so many different careers. It really all depends on what you do AFTER honours bio.

How much can you earn? You can be a multimillionaire or be broke and homeless, or anything in between. If you want a job related to your degree though, you are most likely going to need to do some sort of education afterwards.

If you have specific jobs in mind you can google job title + salary + ontario or something along those lines, or google job postings for those types of positions and see what salaries they're offering.

I'd really recommend against using salary as a way to pick a career direction, though.
nop, honours bio is my interest, but I still need to know what my future can be like right. It's not wise to choose something solely based on your interest, but both.
If you did choose your career only based on your interest, and ended up could not support your family, what will you say by then?
Old 03-30-2013 at 10:58 PM   #7
lovekblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
The glass door.

Good to know we have such interest driven individuals in the upcoming generation! Surely your findings will have the scientific community in awe!

Hey, I dont think you should make such silly comment. You will not even survive in the undergrad study if you don't have any interest in biology. Where in my post did I say I do not like biology?
Old 03-30-2013 at 11:15 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
nop, honours bio is my interest, but I still need to know what my future can be like right. It's not wise to choose something solely based on your interest, but both.
If you did choose your career only based on your interest, and ended up could not support your family, what will you say by then?
Yes, you need to make enough to support your family, but really, people can get by on minimum wage jobs if you spend wisely and aren't the sole supporter for a lot of kids.
And the wording of your question shows that you're looking at money first. You're not asking what the salary range is like for X job, but rather how much you can make if you have X degree. Find a job (or jobs) that you like, and then take salary into consideration.

Quote:
Hey, I dont think you should make such silly comment. You will not even survive in the undergrad study if you don't have any interest in biology. Where in my post did I say I do not like biology?
Yes, you will survive undergrad in honours bio if you have no interest in biology. You may not enjoy those courses, but you can still survive it.
And as I said above, your original post implies that money is more important to you than whether or not you like your job.

The broad/unanswerable nature of your question and not specifying a specific job while instead focusing on salary make it reasonable for people to infer that money matters more to you. You might disagree with that, but either you're lying (to us or to yourself), or you worded your question very poorly.

Sam-I-am likes this.
Old 03-30-2013 at 11:37 PM   #9
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

A salary is the money you earn from a career. A degree is not a career. You will not receive a salary for having a Bio degree, but you will receive a salary from a career in Biology. I believe your question would be better phrased if you asked what types of jobs do graduates of Honours Biology get, and what the average pay per type of job (eg research, pharma, government etc) is. And of course that question is better served by Googling haha.

If you want to relate specifically back to Mac Bio you should ask alumni of your program what jobs they received after graduation, i'm sure your department faculty members could tell you that information as well.

Old 03-31-2013 at 12:06 AM   #10
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

do you know why philosophy, math, music, history, and other graduates from these "usless majors" make bank?

Because they understand passion.
Old 03-31-2013 at 08:57 AM   #11
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post
do you know why philosophy, math, music, history, and other graduates from these "usless majors" make bank?

Because they understand passion.
Math is a useless degree? What.

Old 03-31-2013 at 04:49 PM   #12
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moghue View Post
Math is a useless degree? What.
do you know the meaning of quotes??

math is one of the most useful degrees....
Old 04-03-2013 at 10:44 AM   #13
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Yes, you need to make enough to support your family, but really, people can get by on minimum wage jobs if you spend wisely and aren't the sole supporter for a lot of kids.
Actually, the cost of living in Hamilton is almost $15.00/hour for a single person working full time - that's quite a bit higher than minimum wage.

As far as what you'll earn with your degree - the degree isn't the only thing that matters, nor is what you do after school What else are you going to do during your time at McMaster to set yourself apart from other job candidates? That's what makes the difference between people who are finishing their final year with offers for well paying jobs they haven't even applied for and people who are still working in a coffee shop three years after they graduate.
Old 04-03-2013 at 11:11 AM   #14
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

ITT: Undergrads talking about the real world without ever actually entering it.

ZSimon says thanks to Phaint for this post.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 04-03-2013 at 12:03 PM   #15
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Lol sorry I laughed out loud when reading that link's info. What do they consider a "Biologist?" From my admittedly limited 5 years of undergrad experience I've found that "scientist"/"biologist"/etc are EXTREMELY vague terms that encompass nearly endless concepts of a job/career/position.

This is also why OP's question made me too, it's the same feeling as hearing someone ask how much $ they can make if they're a certain age or something. Way too vague OP, give it a year and I hope you'll be able to realize that, and if not then I really don't have much comment.

starfish likes this.