MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing Fonts to Windows/Font Folder lawleypop Computers & Tech 12 11-07-2010 06:08 PM
McMaster Email Font Question? lizziemcg Computers & Tech 1 08-11-2010 10:06 AM
MI Username Font? resh.jyoti Site Feedback & Suggestions 5 08-11-2010 01:05 AM
Calibri Font in MS Word 97-2003 Allan Computers & Tech 13 03-14-2010 12:36 PM

<b><font color="#3c69ae">Job offers for graduating engineers?</font></b>

Old 02-10-2011 at 01:10 AM   #1
muons

Liked: 84 Times

<b><font color="#3c69ae">Job offers for graduating engineers?</font></b>
I wanted to know if most engineers get jobs offers the semester before graduation? Or is it done independently on your own time kind of thing?

If anyone can help me out that would be great.
Old 02-10-2011 at 03:46 AM   #2
Mikob11
Account Locked

Liked: 60 Times

I'm sure that this is true in every faculty, and that is if you do well enough, companies will notice. Top firms are always scouting for the brightest talents. Don't overlook the value of the competitions that McMaster provides, as they are almost always sponsored by companies looking for recruits.

So to answer your question, If you achieve high standing (marks, competition wins, recommendations from profs) in your graduating class, chances are you will be contacted.
Old 02-10-2011 at 04:19 AM   #3
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post
I wanted to know if most engineers get jobs offers the semester before graduation? Or is it done independently on your own time kind of thing?

You should definitely NOT count on being contacted with a job offer, that's just not the way most engineering fields work for the average student. In the years leading up to your graduation you should be doing a variety of things to build up a network of people working in your field. If you prepare properly and do well in your program, you should have a good chance at having a job offer when you graduate. You should expect to have to send out numerous resumes and attend numerous interviews in order to get an offer. Here's some ideas for things that you can do to improve your chances:
  • compete in competitions
  • go to local networking / engineering job fair events
  • join IEEE/SPIE/PEO as student member or whatever is appropriate for your field
  • volunteer with the engineering society / EWB / other engineering related clubs
  • work as part of a project team within engineering (e.g. solar car)
  • build relationships with upper year / graduate students (they'll be already in jobs when you're trying to find one)
  • participate in co-op
  • excel in project courses
  • build your "soft" skills (presentations, report writing, interview skills, etc.)

There are also plenty of resources within the Faculty to help you to reach your career goals, here's a place to start: www.eng.mcmaster.ca/ecs

As a final note, don't stress out about getting a job right now since you don't even know which field you'll end up in yet. You'll have plenty of time to start working on your career plan after you get through your first year.

muons says thanks to dsahota for this post.

Rampea2 likes this.
Old 02-10-2011 at 08:43 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

You may wish to check this out, too: http://www.talentegg.ca/focus/engineering

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-10-2011 at 08:51 AM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by muons View Post

Your best chance for that is to have done co-op. Most of my friends who have done industrial co-ops already have jobs secured.

I, however, have to work my butt off and apply to many, many jobs (over 40 at this point... and I'm being picky because I want to stay in the GTA!), and I know lots of people who haven't heard anything back until June or July... so I'm not too worried (yet).

You have to put the work into networking, bottom line. Generally, you won't get a job over Oscar or a company website unless you have ridiculous marks and exactly what they're looking for, and a ton of people apply for those. You need to meet people and take bajillions of business cards!!!

Ok, end of my rant.

tl;dr: Do co-op, apply to lots of jobs, NETWORK