MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B. Tech! TerrenceMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 02-06-2013 10:01 AM
Admission to B.tech? categorical First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-24-2012 12:47 PM
B.TECH job opportunities shreebee First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-06-2012 01:59 PM
B.Tech to a P.Eng? Lolisuck First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 05-24-2010 07:41 PM
B.Tech :D insertname First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 06-30-2009 11:37 PM

b.tech

Old 05-12-2013 at 02:20 PM   #1
readingcrayon

Liked: 0 Times

b.tech
I'm a prospective student for 2013 and I applied for b.tech

As far I know, Biomedical engineering is competitive enough to only accept around 40 students in a class, but I've heard that there is the possibility of transferring from b.tech I to engineering II after the prerequisites are obtained. But, how would the transfer from b.tech biotechnology to a competitive stream such as Biomedical Eng II work? Is it realistic?

I'm not sure which b.tech stream would be best for transferring to engineering either.

I'm doubting it since there are already qualified engineeering I students applying to it, but I want to be sure.
Old 05-12-2013 at 02:31 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Hi John, it's not possible to transfer from b.tech 1 to engineering 2. You need to go through engineering 1 and get the required average to get into biomedical after first year eng.

If you hear stories about people going from btech 1 to engineering 2, they used to be in eng 1 before that. Even then, they can't get into something competitive, if they do want to, they would have to go back to engineering 1 and get the required average.

If you realy want engineering, you can come back for a fifth year in high school and boost you average up and then go to engineering 1 next September. Transferring into engineering is not going to be easy, you need around a "B+" in btech 1.

Ohh and first year btech is general, you all take the same courses except for 2 different ones in term 2 (depending on your stream).
Old 05-12-2013 at 02:32 PM   #3
*spark*

Liked: 55 Times

I think that if you're trying to transfer from b.tech to engineering you have to go through eng I, unfortunately.
http://learningin3d.ca/faqs.html#p3

readingcrayon says thanks to *spark* for this post.
Old 05-12-2013 at 02:39 PM   #4
readingcrayon

Ah, okay. I see how that makes sense. So, it would better off not wasting the tuition for a semester of b.tech and transferring. It's just that my average is close but I'd have to do summer school courses to bump it up to what mac wants.

Would there still be chance of admission if I got my average up after my first session summer school marks are submitted? My average isn't as low as to come back for a fifth year.

edit: It seems I forgot to mention I applied to engineering as well.

Last edited by readingcrayon : 05-12-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2013 at 02:53 PM   #5
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by readingcrayon View Post
Ah, okay. I see how that makes sense. So, it would better off not wasting the tuition for a semester of b.tech and transferring. It's just that my average is close but I'd have to do summer school courses to bump it up to what mac wants.

Would there still be chance of admission if I got my average up after my first session summer school marks are submitted? My average isn't as low as to come back for a fifth year.

edit: It seems I forgot to mention I applied to engineering as well.
I had many friends who were really close to the admissions average and had to come back for a fifth year. You can just go back for a semester, boost your average and then work in term 2. Or you can try another uni and see if they would take you if you don't want to come back for a fifth year. If you really want mac, i think the best option is to go back for a fifth year and then apply next year.

It doesn't hurt to ask mac if they would take you after summer school. Give it a shot!

readingcrayon says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Old 05-12-2013 at 03:05 PM   #6
readingcrayon

That's fair. I'll consider the prospect of coming back for a fifth year if I'm not accepted.

So I'll just call the admissions office about the summer school courses and see what they say.

Thanks for the speedy help, though. I appreciate it.