MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got back my first quiz. How bad did I do? adt92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 65 10-10-2010 03:44 PM
Going back to (Med) School samikas Academics 22 07-21-2009 12:26 AM
And We're Back! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 21 06-29-2009 02:47 AM
When do we come back? J-Met General Discussion 2 12-30-2008 11:59 PM
We'll be back soon! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-12-2006 09:54 PM

back to back classes?

Old 08-13-2008 at 08:40 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You make it sound creepy when you say it's the last thing you want is an old man with you in a bathroom....
Old 08-13-2008 at 09:14 PM   #17
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

haha i'm not saying i don't eat completely.. haha i need to eat.. i love food too much. i eat a snack though nothing big, cause it will make me sleep... and i dont' want to fall asleep when i am in my exam. yes definately go to the washroom before exams too!!

as for asking to be excused to go to the washroom. no of course not! imagine ppl constantly asking to be excused. lol. if you are sitting with friends, then you can just go quietly and have them watch your stuff.. If you are by yourself. i would just wait till the lecture is over (if there's not alot of it left that is ). Just be quiet and its fine if people need to go then they need to go.
Old 08-16-2008 at 01:26 PM   #18
lavalampsky

Liked: 0 Times

Wow, when I got my schedule I thought that I would be okay and able to handle back to backs. On my tuesdays I have 1 tutorial followed by 4 lectures back to back with the exception for lunch. Anyone from Humanities have/had a similar situation?
Old 08-16-2008 at 03:16 PM   #19
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

I don't think it's considered back to back when you have a lunch break in the middle.

Does anyone know if chem labs last the full 3 hours? And if they do, wouldn't you be absolutly exhausted, especially if you had other courses right before? I mean, if you had to put your brain to think hard for 3 hours, especially in my case-- directly after 2 other classes, wouldn't it be extremely exhausting?
Old 08-16-2008 at 05:40 PM   #20
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

Chem labs usually do last the 3 hours. I didn't find it too exhausting because you do do most of the work before you go into the lab. So it's really just doing your procedure and recording your findings and writing a conclusion, which usually takes at least some thought, but it's usually not very strenuous.

I never had 2 hours of lecture before my lab though, I had mine at 8:30 in the morning instead.

Cristina_n13 says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 08-16-2008 at 11:20 PM   #21
mitch
Elite Member

Liked: 75 Times

Sometimes my chem labs would go 3.5 hours! They were so long. You do the preamble beforehand, which was very difficult sometimes, for me at least. In 2 years of chemistry, 4 courses, the shortest chem lab I ever had was 2.5 hours one time.
Old 08-16-2008 at 11:42 PM   #22
za90

okay so right now my wednesdays are looking pretty bad..
i have a chem lab from 11:30-2:20, followed by two other lectures directly after.
Since you say chem labs generally are 3.5 hours, this would be really hectic!
or do you think its manageable?
Old 08-16-2008 at 11:45 PM   #23
mitch
Elite Member

It's definetly manageable, but not prefferable. When you come out of a chem lab, you are usually tired and dirty. I would always have latex crud on my hands from the gloves and would want to wash up. You would have to finish your lab on time, and you wouldn't be able to go overtime if you wanted to. I would suggest you try hard to get at least 1 break after a chem lab before a class. Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:03 AM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Oh, do we have to bring our own gloves, or are they provided?
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:24 AM   #25
mitch
Elite Member

You need to bring a ruler, calculator and pen. They only taken pen because it has to go through both copies. You need to buy the lab notebook at Titles. It has carbon copies so you get to keep one as well as handing one in. You should also bring your chem textbook. Oh yeah, you need to print off the lab instructions from webct including the completed questions. Before every lab, you should have your lab notebook all set up with all the sections written in ie. Title, Purpose, Methods, etc. All the information you need for this will be on your course site on webct. Your professor will explain all this when class starts.

Latex gloves are provided for you in the labs. You need to purchase a lab coat and goggles from Titles. These have to be worn whenever you enter the labs. I think that's it.
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:25 AM   #26
Leraison

Hey Mitch you took only 2 years of chem? Don't you need 4 for BSc?
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:31 AM   #27
mitch
Elite Member

Bachelor of Science is the general science degree. There are many different program options to major in. You only need more than the basic chem 1A03 and chem 1AA3 if you are going to get a B.Sc. in chem or something chem related. I am getting a B.Sc. in Hon. Kin so I only needed to take the first year chems. I decided to take organic chemistry second year as well for MCAT preparation.
Old 08-17-2008 at 08:52 AM   #28
Cristina_n13

can all labs go longer than their scheduled timeslot? Namely Bio & Physics labs are what I'm worried about.
Old 08-17-2008 at 12:58 PM   #29
mitch
Elite Member

Hey Cristina,

Only a couple select labs went longer than their timeslots in chem that I can remember. It was mainly because of the line-ups to use the IR and NMR spectrometer. I don't remember bio labs ever going over the timeslots.... If you needed some extra time to write up your report, I'm sure they would allow you some extra time to do so though. You probably won't need it... It's been a while since then, so someone that's done it more recently may have a better answer.

I've never taken any physics in university *the one science course I chose not to do*. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone going too long in those though.

By the way, nice profile picture.

Cristina_n13 says thanks to mitch for this post.
Old 08-17-2008 at 04:02 PM   #30
Cristina_n13

Great, thanks so much Mitch =]

Yeah, I'm not too excited about the physics course.

Alright, so let me get this straight, you do lab prep before the lab, then you do the lab in your time slot, then you write up your report, but if you need you have extra time? So, unlike highschool, you don't have a few days to think about the lab report & consult with others. Is this correct?

& the Smurfs are definitly pretty awesome .