MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unusual combination...anyone here take both "Psych 2C03" and "Math 1LT3" dumbconsumer Academics 2 06-15-2011 08:09 AM
"What do you wanna eat?", "I dunno" Twelve Chars General Discussion 33 05-06-2011 06:22 PM
<font color="#3C69AE">Deferred Exam Mark Release</font> jimmyjones Academics 11 07-08-2010 11:00 AM
Psychology 1X03's "optional" and "required" texts WitekS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 08-26-2009 10:38 PM

is this a "bad" mark?

Old 04-29-2012 at 08:28 PM   #1
romanoca

Liked: 0 Times

is this a "bad" mark?
Ok so i have all my marks and i have calculated my overall average properly (i am in first year by the way) and i finished first year overall with approx. a 73%. However i am a little dissapointed in this because i had like three 11's, a 10 and marks such as 9 and 8 but then i had 3 classes that i really did not like where i got 5's in. so i am just dissapointed because i worked really hard and did awesome in most of my classes but then my avrg is lowered so much by other's that i did not enjoy:( (sorry i know this post is kind of random but i just wanted an oppinion if this mark is bad etc. etc.) I know i will get into the program i want to get into but i really care about my work and doing well so this bothers me lol!
Old 04-29-2012
Reda
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-29-2012
Silver
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:39 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanoca View Post
Ok so i have all my marks and i have calculated my overall average properly (i am in first year by the way) and i finished first year overall with approx. a 73%. However i am a little dissapointed in this because i had like three 11's, a 10 and marks such as 9 and 8 but then i had 3 classes that i really did not like where i got 5's in. so i am just dissapointed because i worked really hard and did awesome in most of my classes but then my avrg is lowered so much by other's that i did not enjoy:( (sorry i know this post is kind of random but i just wanted an oppinion if this mark is bad etc. etc.) I know i will get into the program i want to get into but i really care about my work and doing well so this bothers me lol!
It really depends on what your goals are. For someone applying to e.g. law school - this might be too low for now. The 11s and 10s are great. The 5s not so much. But you already know that.

Even if you're trying to get a competitive GPA for a professional school, you have 2-3 more years to do so. Make sure you research your course options well and take courses you think you will enjoy and do well in next year.

Don't worry too much - just prepare well for next year, set a goal for the GPA you would like to achieve and work towards it. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:41 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
First, there's no way you can calculate your average to a %...you can only calculate it to a number out of 12, or if you convert all your grades to the 4-point scale and average those, you can get your average on that scale.
Second, it depends on you whether or not the mark is bad. You're posting here because you're obviously not happy with it...so then yes, it's bad. Conversely, someone who was really struggling and worked really hard and got an 8 average after having been at 3.2 the year before, would probably be really pleased.
It sounds like you did reasonably well overall, except for your three 5's. If you want to improve, then you'll have to learn that there will be courses you don't like, but you still need to work hard at them otherwise you won't get a good grade. Not liking a course really isn't an excuse to do poorly in it. If there were other factors that contributed to the lower grades in those courses you should look at those as well, and see how you can change things.
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:54 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
73% isn't that bad at all. It largely also depends on the classes you took. If they were subjectively based or objectively based. Seeing as you're in the faculty of Social Sciences I think it would be fair to assume that most if not all were subjectively based right?
Old 04-29-2012 at 08:58 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i think she is referring to this
Code:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/calendar/2012-13/pg145.html
As for grades, each person has different levels of satisfaction. I would love getting 80s+ but to me now 70s a godly mark -_-

Also to calculate ur mark out of 12, it is [Sum of(mark*#of units)]/(total number of units)

romanoca likes this.
Old 04-29-2012 at 09:03 PM   #6
romanoca

Liked: 0 Times

when i calculated my grade i ended up with a 7.9 which in accordance to the mcmaster 12 point grading scale is almost a 73%. here is the link of where i learned how to calculate it the way i did incase anyone is interested/doesnt know: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-13/pg145.html and yea all the classes i did well in are classes iw ant to pursue and im never taking the electives i did poorly in ever again lol
Old 04-29-2012 at 09:05 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

it's okay. to make u feel better my average is like a 5-6 lols

jon.john23 says thanks to Leeoku for this post.

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 04-29-2012 at 09:10 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
when i calculated my grade i ended up with a 7.9 which in accordance to the mcmaster 12 point grading scale is almost a 73%. here is the link of where i learned how to calculate it the way i did incase anyone is interested/doesnt know: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...-13/pg145.html and yea all the classes i did well in are classes iw ant to pursue and im never taking the electives i did poorly in ever again lol
It's meaningless to convert the 7.9 to a percentage, because you don't know what each of your marks were. If your percent grade was at the top of every range, your percent average would be much higher, same if it was at the lower end. Also, not every grade on the 12-point system covers the same range of percentages, so the weighting doesn't work. Chances are, your percent average is actually above a 73, but there's no way to know from just the final grades on the 12-point system.
Old 04-29-2012 at 09:12 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
It's meaningless to convert the 7.9 to a percentage, because you don't know what each of your marks were. If your percent grade was at the top of every range, your percent average would be much higher, same if it was at the lower end. Also, not every grade on the 12-point system covers the same range of percentages, so the weighting doesn't work. Chances are, your percent average is actually above a 73, but there's no way to know from just the final grades on the 12-point system.
It's a ballpark estimate to say the least though.
Old 04-29-2012 at 09:22 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
It's a ballpark estimate to say the least though.
It will nearly always underestimate...there 's a post somewhere on here that goes through it, I'm too lazy to look for it right now though. It's something to do with how the higher points should have more weighting, but if you average it all out they don't...for example, a 12 carries with it ten percentage points, whereas an 8 carries three.
Old 04-29-2012
Reda
Old 04-29-2012 at 10:17 PM   #11
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Hi everyone.

Please keep this thread focused on the topic--the OP would like to discuss their overall mark for this year. Please refrain from posting personal attacks. Anything personal should be confined to private messages.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012 at 11:48 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Pretty good mark. I wouldn't be worried, but you should look into and understand WHY you got those 5s, other than just not being interested. While its easy to say "I did bad because the course didn't interest me", maybe you're lacking in sorts of study methods for that particular subject.