MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's my Life Science I Time table? Is it Balanced and Okay? HanPark9205 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 06-27-2011 10:52 PM
Balanced Terms? xFLY First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 06-27-2011 09:39 PM
Part of a balanced breakfast. bcars Athletics & Recreation 2 12-21-2010 04:51 PM
Balanced Eng I. Timetable panici First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 08-15-2009 08:40 PM
Holiday Schedule and Exam schedule Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-16-2008 01:56 PM

Balanced Schedule?

Old 07-09-2011 at 08:01 PM   #1
HanPark9205

Liked: 1 Time

Balanced Schedule?
Hi guys.
I know I asked this question before, but I just want to double check before the Solar Reopens (so that i can make any modifications if I need to.)

So yea, my question is... Is my Timetable balanced and How did you feel about the courses.

First Term
Biology 1A03
Math 1A03
Chem 1A03
Math 1B03
Psych 1X03

Second Term
Biology 1M03
Math 1AA3
Chem 1AA3
Physics 1B03
Psych 1XX3

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:02 PM   #2
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

The only thing you can move are the Biology courses and PHYSICS 1B03.

I think it's fine just how it is. There are a ton of people in the same program who have similar, if not identical, schedules.

HanPark9205 says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.

HanPark9205 likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:05 PM   #3
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Looks perfectly fine. I wouldn't change anything.

All these courses are what you'd expect from first year courses. Especially the math, chem, bio and physics. You'll be familiar with some of the content and some of it will be new. What might be completely new to you may be psychology (this was for me) and math 1B03 (linear algebra).

HanPark9205 says thanks to particle for this post.

HanPark9205 likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:13 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

That's a pretty typical schedule for all first-year Life Sci students. So don't worry about it! Also, if you haven't checked out the course reviews yet, I suggest you do to get a better overview of each of your courses based on others' opinions! Here's the link! http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98

HanPark9205 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

HanPark9205 likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:21 PM   #5
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

If you like chem, have a good chem background, chem 1A03/1AA3 will be easy. The psych's are interesting, 1X03 was harder IMO because he tried to trick you more in that course than in 1XX3. 1M03 will be the worst course you'll ever take. Just try to live through it.

HanPark9205 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

HanPark9205 likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 08:47 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

First Term
Biology 1A03
I took this with Kajjura in summer school whereas you will have more than one prof teaching the course. I found that lecture attendance was key and that they tested heavily from what they said, but also from minor points about supplementary diagrams. The textbook was a pretty priceless resource, as are Googling some of the experiments to find equivalent explanations that are still at your level.

Math 1A03
Since Math is always rougher for me, I'm going to skip over these.

Chem 1A03
I found the course to be very straightforward but doing my own research about some of the more finicky concepts really helped. Make sure you understand the concepts first - that will make any problem easier to solve. As well, in terms of practicing, do tons of it.

Math 1B03

Psych 1X03
The course was definitely content heavy and it's important to remember that the material is all connected at a deeper level. The midterm was a painful write due to the lengthy questions, but again, nothing that you cannot prepare for if you really understand the concepts and their possible applications.
Second Term
Biology 1M03
The course was dry but fairly integral in terms of the evolutionary stuff we learned. The ecology information is important for future Biology pursuits.

Math 1AA3
Chem 1AA3
Loved this course too. Practice is your friend and you may need to do a bit more research here than in your other courses. Here's a good hint: Buy a 2nd year flexible model kit for the cyclohexane structures.

Physics 1B03
Also one of my favourites. Every physics problem is based on a solid conceptual foundation. I really enjoyed it because I felt it was immensely relevant to understanding finer details in some of my other courses that discussed mechanics

Psych 1XX3

I enjoyed the live lectures though again, fairly information heavy. I actually enjoyed the group essay even though it was painful at times, because I personally feel that the material flowed a lot better in the 2nd Psych.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

HanPark9205 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

HanPark9205 likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 09:03 PM   #7
HanPark9205

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
If you like chem, have a good chem background, chem 1A03/1AA3 will be easy. The psych's are interesting, 1X03 was harder IMO because he tried to trick you more in that course than in 1XX3. 1M03 will be the worst course you'll ever take. Just try to live through it.
Biology 1M03? Why O_O??
is it difficult...?
Old 07-09-2011 at 09:07 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanPark9205 View Post
Biology 1M03? Why O_O??
is it difficult...?
I think the poster meant that it is quite dry and the material can be dull. The group project isn't very exciting either.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

HanPark9205 says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

HanPark9205 likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 09:22 PM   #9
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

normal life sci schedule but u can also think about taking non sciency courses as electives
Old 07-09-2011 at 09:24 PM   #10
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I think the poster meant that it is quite dry and the material can be dull. The group project isn't very exciting either.
It's extremely dry. Ecology and Evolution. Unless you love that stuff. And the profs that taught me weren't the greatest either. It's like the bio department doesnt even try

biochemer likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 09:25 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
It's extremely dry. Ecology and Evolution. Unless you love that stuff. And the profs that taught me weren't the greatest either. It's like the bio department doesnt even try
The human evolution part was taught by pappaconstantinu (or something like that) in my year and she just read off her notes... which were word for word from the book. Thanks, but I know how to read.

biochemer likes this.
Old 07-09-2011 at 09:34 PM   #12
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
its not that bad if they remove the evolution part and that useless how humans evolved book
the materials are dry but easy enough to not get stressed over it
dr.quinn was pretty good in my opinion and dr.stone was a cool guy but he just couldn't lecture
what i think was bad about this course was its useless tutorials, pbl project and the TA's were horrible
Old 07-09-2011 at 09:54 PM   #13
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The human evolution part was taught by pappaconstantinu (or something like that) in my year and she just read off her notes... which were word for word from the book. Thanks, but I know how to read.
Wow serious, i had stone and he read completely off his slides too, which were also word for word from the textbook. seriously the bio department needs to screen their profs better
Old 07-09-2011 at 11:05 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Wow serious, i had stone and he read completely off his slides too, which were also word for word from the textbook. seriously the bio department needs to screen their profs better
Or maybe they just don't have profs who deal with human evolution :\
Old 07-10-2011 at 10:13 AM   #15
GB123

Liked: 2 Times

This is almost exactly the scheduled I have for first year, except the bios are in different terms and I took the 1L stream since 1A was full.

Is Bio 1M03 really that dull? If so than that really sucks because evolution is one of the topics I'm most interested.